Feki

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Feki

Post by cogito ergo sum » 03 Mar 2020, 10:22

Correct, we don’t know what Feki will bring until he plays.
But we also made a major half back signing who’s doing ok. And he’s British. Aussie half backs litter the league.

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 04 Mar 2020, 13:04

Based upon the last two games I think Clare or certainly Eden would come In alongside Feki.

Olpherts fell off Tomkins far too easily v CatalanS and he looks fo have a weakness in handling kicks to the corner when we’re on the back foot; Crooks made him look amateur tbh v Hull KR.

This all said, I’m delighted with the lad overall. Just wondered others’ views.
Audacter Et Sincere

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 04 Mar 2020, 14:23

Mysterio wrote: 04 Mar 2020, 13:04 Based upon the last two games I think Clare or certainly Eden would come In alongside Feki.

Olpherts fell off Tomkins far too easily v CatalanS and he looks fo have a weakness in handling kicks to the corner when we’re on the back foot; Crooks made him look amateur tbh v Hull KR.

This all said, I’m delighted with the lad overall. Just wondered others’ views.
I think the try conceded against Hull KR was more to do with the lack of protection offered by his centre and second row forward than Derrell himself. A player jumping from a running start will always get above one jumping from a standing start. That said, I’ve been more than happy with Olpherts’ contribution so far...another astute signing by the team.

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 04 Mar 2020, 17:24

We can't judge feki yet but olpherts seems to be proving (once again) that powell was right. we'll have to wait a while to see if he got it right regarding feki.

Just a bit of info on the Olpherts signing Lurcher. It wasn’t DP that spotted him as a potential signing. Steve Mills, the performance and stats guy, brought Olpherts to the attention of DP and Ryan Sheridan. Neither were overly keen when Steve mentioned Olpherts. It was the stats report that Steve Mills went through that changed the minds of the coaches.

The stats he showed them and they analysed is exactly what we are seeing from Olpherts so far this season so maybe the praise should go to Steve on this occasion.

Don’t have to be an expert or to have played the game to be knowledgable about rugby. If you can analyse and identify good players then it makes no difference what background you are from.

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 04 Mar 2020, 18:07

Lofthouse Tiger wrote: 04 Mar 2020, 17:24 We can't judge feki yet but olpherts seems to be proving (once again) that powell was right. we'll have to wait a while to see if he got it right regarding feki.

Just a bit of info on the Olpherts signing Lurcher. It wasn’t DP that spotted him as a potential signing. Steve Mills, the performance and stats guy, brought Olpherts to the attention of DP and Ryan Sheridan. Neither were overly keen when Steve mentioned Olpherts. It was the stats report that Steve Mills went through that changed the minds of the coaches.

The stats he showed them and they analysed is exactly what we are seeing from Olpherts so far this season so maybe the praise should go to Steve on this occasion.

Don’t have to be an expert or to have played the game to be knowledgable about rugby. If you can analyse and identify good players then it makes no difference what background you are from.
An insightful post...thanks Lofthouse.

Mr XP
League One Player
League One Player
Twitter: @nathastbury

Post by Mr XP » 04 Mar 2020, 18:31

So Olpherts is a "moneyball" signing :D

Castleford tigers Irish supporters branch

TT Tiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TT Tiger » 04 Mar 2020, 18:53

Mr XP wrote: 04 Mar 2020, 18:31 So Olpherts is a "moneyball" signing :D
He gets on base

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 04 Mar 2020, 19:59

Olpherts must of been watching the ball with 1 eye but didn't see crooks coming as hes blind in the other #-o #-o #-o
CLASSY CAS FOREVER

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 04 Mar 2020, 20:38

jackknife wrote: 04 Mar 2020, 19:59 Olpherts must of been watching the ball with 1 eye but didn't see crooks coming as hes blind in the other #-o #-o #-o
not many wingers would have defended that kick who ever kicked it , the kick was bang on the money lot harder to get height from a standing start than a player running full pelt on to the ball

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 04 Mar 2020, 20:46

Lofthouse Tiger wrote: 04 Mar 2020, 17:24 We can't judge feki yet but olpherts seems to be proving (once again) that powell was right. we'll have to wait a while to see if he got it right regarding feki.

Powell speaks very highly of steve mills and the work he does (and how quickly he produces them) but i didn't know he did stats for players of other clubs. he did say fans don't realise how valuable steves work is to the other coaches.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 04 Mar 2020, 23:52

Just shows that we don’t always know the unsung heroes at times.

Had Steve not had this info and made the suggestion then Olpherts probably wouldn’t be at Cas. So far been impressed with Olpherts. I know DP is happy with Steve and he doesn’t fail to give the required praise either. Sign of a top coach and above all a top man.

I don’t think Steve either played or coached either so well done to you Steve and keep up the good work young man. :clap: :clap: :clap:

mdean
Academy Player
Academy Player
Twitter: Sacked social media

Post by mdean » 05 Mar 2020, 09:00

A wee bit off the Feki topic but- Not related to Olpherts at all, but I went to a coaching "thing" where we watched passages of sport where a "star" somewhere did something, but the camera's focussed on people you wouldn't notice. Cycling, Football and Rugby Union were the main focus.
When we watch a game, naturally we watch the ball, but when you watch a single player on a camera and the work they do when the ball is nowhere near them, in attack and defence is amazing. I never appreciated what people meant when they call someone a "team man" or when they say "does all those little details well".

If we are making Moneyball signings I will take the GF several times in a row for a while!

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 05 Mar 2020, 10:16

mdean wrote: 05 Mar 2020, 09:00 A wee bit off the Feki topic but- Not related to Olpherts at all, but I went to a coaching "thing" where we watched passages of sport where a "star" somewhere did something, but the camera's focussed on people you wouldn't notice. Cycling, Football and Rugby Union were the main focus.
When we watch a game, naturally we watch the ball, but when you watch a single player on a camera and the work they do when the ball is nowhere near them, in attack and defence is amazing. I never appreciated what people meant when they call someone a "team man" or when they say "does all those little details well".

If we are making Moneyball signings I will take the GF several times in a row for a while!
Hence the first name on the coach’s team sheet is often not the fans’ choice, and why I find the current interest in touch screen analysis so informative.

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 05 Mar 2020, 10:54

cogito ergo sum wrote: 05 Mar 2020, 10:16
mdean wrote: 05 Mar 2020, 09:00 A wee bit off the Feki topic but- Not related to Olpherts at all, but I went to a coaching "thing" where we watched passages of sport where a "star" somewhere did something, but the camera's focussed on people you wouldn't notice. Cycling, Football and Rugby Union were the main focus.

Hence the first name on the coach’s team sheet is often not the fans’ choice, and why I find the current interest in touch screen analysis so informative.
Me too.

And thanks very much on the ste mills post.

Although I do not think for one moment olpherts wasn’t identified to ‘be looked into’ by mills, it just goes to show how food the guy is at his job.

Pity I quite fancied the role myself and recommended Matautia to the club whether you believe me or not.
Audacter Et Sincere

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 05 Mar 2020, 20:14

8 weeks for Feki.