Meet the Coaches.

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Re: Meet the Coaches.

Post by lurcher » 13 Feb 2020, 15:46

Fumper27 wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 12:10 Did anyone ask about recruitment plans for 2021 given we have numerous quote spots to play with:
Jordan Rankin
Junior Moors
Jesse Sene Lafeo
Grant Millington
rankin wants to stay and cas want him to stay. just his agent (based in australia) holding things up but powell is confident he will stay and said he still has some improvement in him.
powell couldn't say who but 2 signings for next year have already been identified.
nobody asked about junior, jesse, or grant.
personally i'd like to see millo do another season as i think he would be qualify for a well deserved benefit year.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

Tigertail

Post by Tigertail » 13 Feb 2020, 15:57

Was much mentioned about the young lads at the club? Seems for once we have quite a few lads that could potentially come through?

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 13 Feb 2020, 19:52

Lofthouse Tiger wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 10:11
HuddsTigers wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 09:50
lurcher wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 22:58 great evening again. don't know why more don't attend.
Outside of reasons such as time and effort, I'd assume the other main reason is that they would get told things that would mean they wouldn't be able to hide behind their keyboards, or they wouldn't believe what was said anyway making the time entirely pointless.

I'm sad I can't attend these even more. Always a good evening and a chance to put a few quid into the club.
Only you could post this kind of stuff and actually believe it.

Midweek nights, not promoted very well and things such as work and school get in the way. How many people actually knew this was happening?

Would this kind of event be better ore season on a weekend? It isn’t difficult to arrange is it?

Must have missed the first line, which said 'outside of time and effort', acknowledging those people with legit reasons.

However, you make out like these events are a rarity. They have been held for about a decade every single year. There has always been a Meet the Directors, Meet the Coaches etc, and they are publicised both before and after on the website and social media as well as through CTSC.

There have also been numerous threads on here in the past. The only way people wouldn't know is if they don't have access to the web or make it a purpose to avoid any Cas news. Also believe the P and C mentions it locally in the paper too.

Fact is that there have been numerous events in the past for people to ask questions and a lot of people continue to moan yet don't go out their way to ask the same questions at an actual forum to do so where they can get the answers they want.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 13 Feb 2020, 20:09

HuddsTigers wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 19:52
Lofthouse Tiger wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 10:11
HuddsTigers wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 09:50
lurcher wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 22:58 great evening again. don't know why more don't attend.
Outside of reasons such as time and effort, I'd assume the other main reason is that they would get told things that would mean they wouldn't be able to hide behind their keyboards, or they wouldn't believe what was said anyway making the time entirely pointless.

I'm sad I can't attend these even more. Always a good evening and a chance to put a few quid into the club.
Only you could post this kind of stuff and actually believe it.

Midweek nights, not promoted very well and things such as work and school get in the way. How many people actually knew this was happening?

Would this kind of event be better ore season on a weekend? It isn’t difficult to arrange is it?

Must have missed the first line, which said 'outside of time and effort', acknowledging those people with legit reasons.

However, you make out like these events are a rarity. They have been held for about a decade every single year. There has always been a Meet the Directors, Meet the Coaches etc, and they are publicised both before and after on the website and social media as well as through CTSC.

There have also been numerous threads on here in the past. The only way people wouldn't know is if they don't have access to the web or make it a purpose to avoid any Cas news. Also believe the P and C mentions it locally in the paper too.

Fact is that there have been numerous events in the past for people to ask questions and a lot of people continue to moan yet don't go out their way to ask the same questions at an actual forum to do so where they can get the answers they want.
I’m always surprised more people don’t go. Looking at the photograph of the event showing the attendees, it’s very much a group of older (I’m guessing retired, but wouldn’t want to assume) men.
One of the areas I think the club could improve on is realising that not every supporter lives within the Castleford area. The club makes it extremely difficult for supporters who travel to games but don’t live locally. For example, tickets bought online can only be returned in person in the event of a fixture change and tickets for semi-finals and finals are only available in person.
There’s also the issue that moving most fixtures to Friday evenings has had a more significant impact on those of us who live out of the area. It might be okay for those who live locally, but those who do not are far less likely to attend as it usually means working all day, driving through Friday rush-hour traffic and then getting home in the early hours. I was going to offer to be part of the supporter steering group thingy to give some input on hw the club might consider supporters who don’t live locally, but ironically the club have demanded that those involved be available on midweek evenings AND weekends! If they had a strategic plan (eg ‘the group will meet on the first Wednesday evening of the month’) it might help people decide whether or not they can offer the commitment required.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 13 Feb 2020, 20:32

I think the club believe that most people who attend the steering groups live locally hence the timings (also they like weekends free like the rest of us too!)

The Meet the Events are organised by CTSC though so that's for the Supporters Club to sort.

One thing I did think about earlier was perhaps doing a live streamed event. If people want to attend then fine, but would also allow for questions to come in live too for those who can't attend. Perhaps it could be streamed through the Tigers TV platform so people have to pay?

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 13 Feb 2020, 20:42

HuddsTigers wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 20:32 I think the club believe that most people who attend the steering groups live locally hence the timings (also they like weekends free like the rest of us too!
Yep, that’s my point. They don’t seem to realise that there are supporters who don’t live locally who could offer a perspective that they haven’t considered.
If the club could say that group will meet on a regular day/time then I’d consider joining.

Ken Smith
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Ken Smith » 14 Feb 2020, 10:00

In the 60s and 70s I used to finish work at 5.15pm on a Friday in Middlesbrough and drive straight to Cas along the A19 which in those days wasn’t a dual carriageway. Luckily my wife’s auntie lived in Queen Street off Wheldon Road and parked my car up her ginnel, watched the match, had some supper and left at about 10.30pm and was back home in Redcar about midnight. Loved Friday night matches, more atmosphere than afternoon matches. Also once drove to the Boulevard in Hull straight from work to watch Cas (unfortunately lost 0-5) with packed sandwiches and to Headingley with a couple of colleagues from work to see their first Rugby League match for the Final of the BBC Floodlit Trophy Final against Leigh in 1968 which Cas won 8-5 for their third successive Final win. The most gruelling journey though was from Redcar to Workington in 1967 for a Challenge Cup match through snowdrifts just hoping that the match wouldn’t be postponed. Thankfully it wasn’t and Cas won 7-2. The most extraordinary match though was the 1970 Challenge Cup Semifinal when I drove over the Pennines to Station Road, Swinton when Cas beat St Helens 6-3. Why extraordinary? Because all Cas’s points were from drop goals (one free Mal Reilly I reca

Ken Smith
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Ken Smith » 14 Feb 2020, 10:36

In the 60s and 70s I used to finish work at 5.15pm on a Friday in Middlesbrough and drive straight to Cas along the A19 which in those days wasn’t a dual carriageway. Luckily my wife’s auntie lived in Queen Street off Wheldon Road and parked my car up her ginnel, watched the match, had some supper and left at about 10.30pm and was back home in Redcar about midnight. Loved Friday night matches, more atmosphere than afternoon matches. Also once drove with packed sandwiches straight from work to the Boulevard in 1968(unfortunately Cas lost 0-5 to Hull) and took a couple of colleagues from work for their first Rugby League match to Headingley for the Final of the BBC Floodlit Trophy against Leigh in 1968 which Cas won the 8-5, their third successive Final win.

As for afternoon matches I once drove from Redcar to Workington for a Challenge Cup match again in 1968 through snowdrifts just hoping the match wouldn’t be postponed. Thankfully it wasn’t and Cas won 7-2. But the most extraordinary match I went to was in 1970 to Station Road, Swinton for a Challenge Cup Semifinal against St Helens. From what I can recall Saints took a 3-0 lead with an unconverted try, but Cas fought back with three drop goals all from different players to win 6-3. In those days tries were only worth 3 points, but drop goals were worth 2 points. Of course today that would have meant a 3-4 defeat although I
guess Cas wouldn’t have attempted so many drop goals. Of course Cas went on to beat Wigan 7-2 in the Final at Wembley to retain the Cup. They actually reached the Semifinal the following year but lost 8-19 to Leeds. Nevertheless that was 13 successive wins in the Challenge Cup over 3 seasons. Happy days!

Alfiedog
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Alfiedog » 14 Feb 2020, 11:34

Luckily my wife’s auntie lived in Queen Street off Wheldon Road and parked my car up her ginnel

:shock: :shock: Did the wife know about this!! :D

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 14 Feb 2020, 12:30

However, you make out like these events are a rarity. They have been held for about a decade every single year. There has always been a Meet the Directors, Meet the Coaches etc, and they are publicised both before and after on the website and social media.

Well bugger me, I never knew that. If only us mere mortals were if the “In the know” brigade.

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 14 Feb 2020, 17:50

Lofthouse Tiger wrote: 14 Feb 2020, 12:30 However, you make out like these events are a rarity. They have been held for about a decade every single year. There has always been a Meet the Directors, Meet the Coaches etc, and they are publicised both before and after on the website and social media.

Well bugger me, I never knew that. If only us mere mortals were if the “In the know” brigade.

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
there were posters up at various locations of the ground last friday including in the legends bar.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 14 Feb 2020, 18:11

However, you make out like these events are a rarity.

Where do I say that Hudds?

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 15 Feb 2020, 13:47

Lofthouse Tiger wrote: 14 Feb 2020, 18:11 However, you make out like these events are a rarity.

Where do I say that Hudds?
Not directly but the implication was there with the comments about how many people know these are on and it not being publicised.

They have been held for the last decade or so and with that in mind, it should be common knowledge these happen. If anyone interested missed the first few, you would assume that those unfortunate to, or who didn't know about the first few, would keep in touch with the CTSC or look out for news more intently.

If you're interested or want to go, you go out your way to find out the info.

Perhaps that's my fault for assuming that our fanbase would check newsfeeds/social media/local press and/or ask on the forum about these?

Fryston Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Fryston Tiger » 16 Feb 2020, 13:18

If people are really interested, try following the CTSC on the various socials....and like Hudds says, ask on here.
And while I'm here, if you want to help the CTSC support the Club/team, why not join?

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 16 Feb 2020, 13:22

I don’t want to help or join.

corvusxiii
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by corvusxiii » 18 Feb 2020, 00:01

Tbh I've never caught anything about the Meet the Coaches evening unless someone mentioned it after the event. If then.
I understand the 'if you're too slack to come then don't bother' argument but I also get the 'don't give people an excuse not to' point as well.
Will try harder next time but I've no idea why I'm missing these options in the first instance.
To finish last in the Tour de France, first you must finish.