Olpherts

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Re: Olpherts

Post by tigerfeat » 09 Feb 2020, 06:53

Interesting that Bibby looked the better player at Salford Olpherts couldn't get a game last few months
Watching them Friday I glad we got Olpherts same as a lot of Powels signings underwhelming when you first hear about it but often ends up being right
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 09 Feb 2020, 10:15

Barry Mac only has one eye, and he did ok.
I suppose Cas exercised due diligence and Olpherts had a medical. They could have saved the fee and asked the forum.
Nature makes up for these deficiencies, like the fella who had one short leg, the other was a bit longer to compensate!

MrRugby123
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by MrRugby123 » 09 Feb 2020, 11:48

We’ve missed a winger like Olpherts for a few years now, he won us penalties from his strong carries and got us off our line when Wigan pinned us there for the first 10 minutes. Last year we would’ve folded in the first 10 and we would’ve conceded points, I can see a difference in both attack and defence from last year already, hopefully more is to come from us.

KB80
League One Player
League One Player

Post by KB80 » 09 Feb 2020, 12:20

Too early to get carried away with Olpherts, but a really good start to his Cas carear. He seems to have been given a big opportunity at Cas and everything I have seen so far suggests he is doing all he can to grasp it.

I think it's clear Powell wanted a bit more punch carrying the ball out from the backs. It's a big part of Feki's hane, one of the strongest parts of Olpherts game, Blair and Matauti aren't easy to put down either.

Hopefully it will give Mcshane, Trueman and Richardson some space to play with around the ruck l, especially as the pitches get quicker.

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 09 Feb 2020, 13:12

KB80 wrote: 09 Feb 2020, 12:20 Too early to get carried away with Olpherts, but a really good start to his Cas carear. He seems to have been given a big opportunity at Cas and everything I have seen so far suggests he is doing all he can to grasp it.

I think it's clear Powell wanted a bit more punch carrying the ball out from the backs. It's a big part of Feki's hane, one of the strongest parts of Olpherts game, Blair and Matauti aren't easy to put down either.

Hopefully it will give Mcshane, Trueman and Richardson some space to play with around the ruck l, especially as the pitches get quicker.
This :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 09 Feb 2020, 13:15

I thought Olpherts would be battling with James Clare for a spot behind Eden and Feki, but so far (and it’s early days) he looks like he deserves his place in the first team.
Will be interesting to see what happens when we have Eden, Feki and Olpherts all fit. But competition for places is a good thing.

braytontiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by braytontiger » 09 Feb 2020, 14:36

nottinghamtiger wrote: 09 Feb 2020, 13:15 I thought Olpherts would be battling with James Clare for a spot behind Eden and Feki, but so far (and it’s early days) he looks like he deserves his place in the first team.
Will be interesting to see what happens when we have Eden, Feki and Olpherts all fit. But competition for places is a good thing.
Nobody signs a 3 year contract to be 3rd or 4th choice. The moment he put pen to paper he was always going to be in contention to be a starting 13 player.
I don’t care wether he’s got one eye,one kidney or one testicle what matters is his ability to deal with it and so far so good.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 09 Feb 2020, 14:52

braytontiger wrote: 09 Feb 2020, 14:36
nottinghamtiger wrote: 09 Feb 2020, 13:15 I thought Olpherts would be battling with James Clare for a spot behind Eden and Feki, but so far (and it’s early days) he looks like he deserves his place in the first team.
Nobody signs a 3 year contract to be 3rd or 4th choice. The moment he put pen to paper he was always going to be in contention to be a starting 13 player.
You’re right of course, but one of either Feki, Eden or Olpherts will have to miss out when (if) they are all fit.

Tigerwood posse
Academy Player
Academy Player
Twitter: no

Post by Tigerwood posse » 09 Feb 2020, 16:34

I think he’s probably responding to the fact he’s a local lad and so nearer home and no travelling and a big thing is actually playing in front of a Proper crowd, rather than empty stands, it must make players play better.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 09 Feb 2020, 17:48

nottinghamtiger wrote: 09 Feb 2020, 14:52
You’re right of course, but one of either Feki, Eden or Olpherts will have to miss out when (if) they are all fit.
Will be Eden. Feels like Eden is back up left winger and Clare back up right winger - injuries have changed that already. Good position to be in, where we have 4 decent and/or reliable wingers.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 09 Feb 2020, 21:02

It bodes well as I’m expecting big things indeed from Saia too
Audacter Et Sincere

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 10 Feb 2020, 10:15

HuddsTigers wrote: 09 Feb 2020, 17:48
nottinghamtiger wrote: 09 Feb 2020, 14:52
Will be Eden. Feels like Eden is back up left winger and Clare back up right winger - injuries have changed that already. Good position to be in, where we have 4 decent and/or reliable wingers.
I think you’re probably right, though I think we often forget how prolific Greg Eden is. He currently stands at 74 tries in 71 appearances. Nobody else comes anywhere near him in terms of the number of tries he scores.
To put that into a bit more context, that’s more tries than the top scorer from 2019, the top tryscorer in 2018 and the runner-up in 2017 put together (Makison scored 23 in 2019, Barba scored 28 in 2018 and Jones-Bishop scored 20 in 2017). That’s despite Greg having some lengthly injuries.
He also has something you can’t coach - pace. We don’t know whether Olpherts or Feki can match him for that as yet.

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 10 Feb 2020, 10:35

A so spot on Notts :clap: :clap: :clap:

alftupper
League One Player
League One Player

Post by alftupper » 10 Feb 2020, 13:03

Eden would be my first choice winger all day long, genuine pace and proven track record.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 10 Feb 2020, 13:47

Eden is the fastest winger on our books, the year he topped the try scoring table he had Gale and Zak setting him up a number of wingers in the league would have finished top with the service he had, his bigest let down is brain farts

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 10 Feb 2020, 14:17

gateman wrote: 10 Feb 2020, 13:47 Eden is the fastest winger on our books, the year he topped the try scoring table he had Gale and Zak setting him up a number of wingers in the league would have finished top with the service he had, his bigest let down is brain farts
He was still scoring more than a try a game in 2018 though, when Hardaker had gone and Gale only played a few games (in fact, very few with Eden).
Granted his strike-rate dropped off last year, but we only had one half-back and that was reflected across the whole team (Greg still managed 13 tries in 21 games though).
Show me a player with a better strike-rate in 2018 and 2019 combined than Greg Eden. Even taking his 2017 tries out of the equation, nobody consistently scores as many tries as he does.
His 2018 and 2019 tries can’t be put down to other players either - after all, Shenton has been past his best and hasn’t given a single pass for two years (that’s a joke) and we’ve had no consistency at full-back (that’s not a joke).
If I had to put money on any player to score in a game, it would go straight on Greg Eden every time. The problem is that if I had to put money on any player to make a complete balls-up, it would also go straight on Greg Eden!

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 13 Feb 2020, 00:15

at the meet the coaches evening powell was asked out of the 5 new signing s who had impressed him mosy? he said olpherts and theres a lot more improvement to come.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 13 Feb 2020, 09:53

Did anyone ask DP about Olpherts' vision and why no one has noticed it before?
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 13 Feb 2020, 15:49

HuddsTigers wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 09:53 Did anyone ask DP about Olpherts' vision and why no one has noticed it before?
no but that labradour in the dug out is starting to make sense now. :D
jo brand is eddie warings love child

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 13 Feb 2020, 17:55

Someone mentioned being careful about not having a short-sighted recruitment policy...stay visionary, don’t go into it blind, keep one eye on the future...