Totonto and the Salary Cap

Super League, National Leagues and the NRL
nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Totonto and the Salary Cap

Post by nottinghamtiger » 20 Jan 2020, 12:04

Toronto have apparently asked for dispensation so they don't have to count SBW's wages towards the cap until he plays a game. Essentially, they want any salary paid to him to be removed from the cap until the date he makes his first appearance. Obviously, this is completely against salary-cap rules.
McDermott has given an interview this morning admitting that they are "potentially breaching" the cap already.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Re: Totonto and the Salary Cap

Post by tigerfeat » 20 Jan 2020, 13:15

he did seem to say there already over the cap which is dumb ,ok SBW joins but how the hell could that side yesterday be anywhere near over the cap ,good championship team at best for me
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 20 Jan 2020, 13:27

tigerfeat wrote: 20 Jan 2020, 13:15 he did seem to say there already over the cap which is dumb ,ok SBW joins but how the hell could that side yesterday be anywhere near over the cap ,good championship team at best for me
Because they had to pay inflated wages for players to join them when they were in the Championship.
Two marquee players will already take up 300k of the cap, then they will be paying over-the-odds for almost every other player because that's what it takes to persuade players to drop down a league.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 20 Jan 2020, 14:59

McDermott: "“We haven’t overspent and you don’t look at one salary and wince, thinking ‘he’s getting paid too much’."
Back in the real world, they are paying Ricky Luetele £430,000 a year.

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 20 Jan 2020, 16:54

Luetele and Sbw will be marquee for this season but they also had Lussick who was marquee before sbw arrived so he maybe on 300k which will all count on the cap.

https://www.totalrl.com/lussick-why-i-t ... r-toronto/

https://www.torontowolfpack.com/welcome ... y-leutele/

Then the have Russell who turned down sl to join them so will be on a big wage and Wilkin who will be on a big wage then the rest of average players (O'brien Singleton Stanley Mellor McCrone Thompson) will be on inflated contracts.
CLASSY CAS FOREVER

flood light tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by flood light tiger » 20 Jan 2020, 17:46

They are moaning about only having 23 players in the squad but if they had payed for players to fit the nunber of players in a squad such as 30 + then they wouldn't be so light so imo they shouldn't ask for dispensation they should not have spent on big name players

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 21 Jan 2020, 00:22

mcdermotts interview in league express stinks. they knew the rules when entering the competition and gave all the assurances. if you can't afford wages to play in super league then play in a league you can afford.
they can afford to play in super league and stick to the cap. what mcdermott is saying is "we want to be allowed to spend enough to win it."
i don't even think of them as a canadian team as they have no canadian players, they're just a super league club based in toronto.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

casjunction
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by casjunction » 22 Jan 2020, 22:55

Jon Wilkin made a decision to come out of retirement apparently he did little preseason training because he had made up his mind to retire.
So perhaps this is one of the reasons they are asking for some dispensation on the salary cap.
If caught they could do he Rhino's and say no we didn't.
No case to answer.

casjunction
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by casjunction » 23 Jan 2020, 10:27

Now SBW. refusing to wear Super League shirt with the main sponsors logo on it on religious grounds.
I have no truck with gambling companies but without there money the league would be a very different beast and not as an entirety pay such laish salaries.
Not sure if TWP get any money which could in his eyes be tainted but opposition through out the rest of Super League and probably the Championship rely upon it.
I am sure he and his agent etc were aware of the funding of our sport and advertising rights and so on.
Play for nowt donating all your salary to good causes as well as any image rights and then l would be a little more sympathetic.
Not Islamaphobic as l have no religion.

Nobody
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Nobody » 23 Jan 2020, 11:25

casjunction wrote: 23 Jan 2020, 10:27 Now SBW. refusing to wear Super League shirt with the main sponsors logo on it on religious grounds.
I have no truck with gambling companies but without there money the league would be a very different beast and not as an entirety pay such laish salaries.
Not sure if TWP get any money which could in his eyes be tainted but opposition through out the rest of Super League and probably the Championship rely upon it.
I am sure he and his agent etc were aware of the funding of our sport and advertising rights and so on.
Play for nowt donating all your salary to good causes as well as any image rights and then l would be a little more sympathetic.
To be fair to the guy, he's done this through all his career. If Toronto had done their homework on him they should of known this from the start.
🐯 COYF!

mdean
Academy Player
Academy Player
Twitter: Sacked social media

Post by mdean » 23 Jan 2020, 11:30

Arguably, as a sponsor and a game, the lack of logo and the furore is more publicity as opposed to less for the omitted logo.

Good business all round, brand SBW is lauded, where the sponsor would usually get no column inches, it is a story. TWP get more coverage.

I'd be delighted as media manager of TWP and the particular brand myself.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 23 Jan 2020, 12:26

Im already sick of reading about the jackass and hes not played a game yet
Vince Lombardi

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 23 Jan 2020, 12:46

SBW = diva

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 23 Jan 2020, 14:34

No problem people having there beliefs if it matters that much to him dont sign up to a comp sponsored by a bookie and take a massive pay check every month... otherwise stf up and get on with it like everybody else
Vince Lombardi

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @dphartshorne

Post by the machine » 23 Jan 2020, 14:56

Mountain and molehill here
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 23 Jan 2020, 15:38

Nobody wrote: 23 Jan 2020, 11:25
casjunction wrote: 23 Jan 2020, 10:27 Now SBW. refusing to wear Super League shirt with the main sponsors logo on it on religious grounds.
To be fair to the guy, he's done this through all his career. If Toronto had done their homework on him they should of known this from the start.
not quite, he converted to islam when he was 24.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

casjunction
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by casjunction » 23 Jan 2020, 16:33

Talk by Super League acquiescing because of his high profile.
Surely if you respect the faith of someone their status is irrelevant.
Perhaps the sport needs to have more ethical sponsors!

Nobody
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Nobody » 23 Jan 2020, 18:37

lurcher wrote: 23 Jan 2020, 15:38
Nobody wrote: 23 Jan 2020, 11:25
not quite, he converted to islam when he was 24.
Well all his career since he converted :D
🐯 COYF!

braytontiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by braytontiger » 23 Jan 2020, 20:41

casjunction wrote: 23 Jan 2020, 16:33 Talk by Super League acquiescing because of his high profile.
Surely if you respect the faith of someone their status is irrelevant.
Perhaps the sport needs to have more ethical sponsors!
Bet Fred were sponsors long before Sbw arrival. Maybe he should have done his homework before signing his 5 million dollar contract if it was to conflict with his religious beliefs.

casjunction
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by casjunction » 24 Jan 2020, 07:19

Now a share holder inTWP as part of his inducement to join them.
As someone had previously alluded to it's about profile, image and investor and sponsor appeal.
It maybe the future but l hope that Rugby League isn't lost in the process.