Shenton

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
on side
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Shenton

Post by on side » 19 Jan 2020, 23:37

dude wrote: 19 Jan 2020, 21:49
nottinghamtiger wrote: 19 Jan 2020, 20:43
HuddsTigers wrote: 19 Jan 2020, 18:20 Watts, Cook, McMeeken, Smith, Blair, Moors, Foster all injured and missing.

Shenton went off after 25 for a head check. Jesse hobbled off and we ended the game with Clare at centre., I think we will have a bit more punch that we need.
The trouble is that Moors and Foster are almost always injured.
It’s also not unusual to lose players during a game.
It’s blindingly obvious what is missing, and has been since the end of 2017. We’ve had two full seasons and we are still going into 2020 without a full-back who is good enough to be an attacking threat against a decent defensive set-up. Until we sort that, we won’t be winning anything.
Thought rankin looked good. Got outside trueman and richardson to get the ball just had nobody running any kind of line when he go the ball. We looked slow in attack and a bit naive while defending our own line. Cant get too down hearted about the game with it being 1st time new halfback pairing played together but we really need to improve for season starting
rankin was terrible today miss timed is connecting plays coming into attacking line most plays we definitely need
full back. Want did I say about centre cover if shenton or blair don't cut the mustard we finished up we clair in centre because no cover what's so ever .Trueman and Richardson never linked in a play once both on different half off field all game . Only a friendly but if same happens in two weeks we could be in trouble all season in back line attack

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 19 Jan 2020, 23:43

heritage1926 wrote: 19 Jan 2020, 23:11
nottinghamtiger wrote: 19 Jan 2020, 22:39 Apparently, Toronto have asked the RFL for salary-cap dispensation as SBW won’t play in the opening rounds. They only want to count his salary from the point he starts playing.
Already trying to bend the rules.....
No, they want it because they're interested in signing a trio of Saracens players since news of them being relegated came out. Believe they want Owen Farrell, Billy Vunipila & Maro Itoje.

They don’t need a salary cap dispensation to sign them. None have played RL before so their salary would not count in the cap at all for the first year, then only 50% would count the following year.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 19 Jan 2020, 23:49

Mucky1978 wrote: 19 Jan 2020, 23:25 No way Any of them 3 will leave come to league.
I’m not so sure.
Most RU clubs are up to the salary cap, so there aren’t many options available to them elsewhere.
They could sign a massive one-year deal with Toronto without anything counting on the salary cap. Let’s remember that Toronto have given SBW the biggest contract in any code of rugby worldwide, so there is no reason they can’t offer similar deals to Saracens players who are now in a bit of a quandary,

The Firm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by The Firm » 20 Jan 2020, 01:28

Whilst i realise you shouldn’t read too much into friendly results i’ve said all along that this is a bottom half of the table side. Nothing i’ve seen so far has convinced me otherwise. We have a small sprinkling of quality, an amount of guys who are past it, a large chunk of bang average and a few not good enoughs. We are a handful of injuries away from the bottom 3 or 4. A tough season awaits.

corvusxiii
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by corvusxiii » 20 Jan 2020, 01:36

Much like last year there is much to be pleased about the effort Cas put in. But Hell Fire that was Boring. That was Dull. Twp offloaded the ball more in one set than Cas did in the entire half. If the team is that limited that it must lose 10 matches to win 11 then fair enough. But is this the case?
Tedious.
To finish last in the Tour de France, first you must finish.

Piquad1
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Piquad1 » 20 Jan 2020, 05:50

Well what I've seen today looks like another long season. Think we're losing the plot a bit.

Fryston Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Fryston Tiger » 20 Jan 2020, 10:25

My thoughts on yesterday....
We looked under-cooked on attack. In my opinion, I think the first-team squad needs at least 2 trial games to get up to speed for the opening game of the season.
I don't agree that we're bottom 4. We have arguably a better squad this year than last....and last year, with a load of injuries, we finished in the top 5.
Yet again, it's all doom n gloom on here. Considering that we bummed a possible 12 points by dropping just short on a couple of occasions, we could've won yesterday without hitting the heights.

Squaddie86
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Squaddie86 » 20 Jan 2020, 10:41

nottinghamtiger wrote: 19 Jan 2020, 22:39 Apparently, Toronto have asked the RFL for salary-cap dispensation as SBW won’t play in the opening rounds. They only want to count his salary from the point he starts playing.
Already trying to bend the rules.....
Why would they ask for dispensation from the RFL(Who, iirc, don't own Super Leagues salary cap since the SL clubs decided to take more control over the league, i could be wrong however.), on a player who already does not count for more than 150k against their cap(as a marquee player)?

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 20 Jan 2020, 10:56

Fryston Tiger wrote: 20 Jan 2020, 10:25 My thoughts on yesterday....
We looked under-cooked on attack. In my opinion, I think the first-team squad needs at least 2 trial games to get up to speed for the opening game of the season.
I don't agree that we're bottom 4. We have arguably a better squad this year than last....and last year, with a load of injuries, we finished in the top 5.
Yet again, it's all doom n gloom on here. Considering that we bummed a possible 12 points by dropping just short on a couple of occasions, we could've won yesterday without hitting the heights.
Agree we could easily have won and losing a friendly means nowt there not a good side tho and the thing that got me was the style of play one man rugby like last year till you get in there 20 and hope for the best
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

MrRugby123
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by MrRugby123 » 20 Jan 2020, 11:07

We definitely missed the impact off of the bench yesterday, they nearly had the full strength squad out so when we had little impact from the bench it gave us no go forward, feel Powell is been stubborn about Eden as he has pace to burn and that’s what we lack as a team so not playing him would be awful. The ref was average yesterday but I thought he let them slow the game down, which in super league they might not get away with. I think we got the better run out from both sides yesterday imo.

blinkstudios
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by blinkstudios » 20 Jan 2020, 13:58

Have a feeling Powell has kept a few attacking moves in the locker for the Headingley game. Doesn't want to let them know our game too much for 2 weeks time.

braytontiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by braytontiger » 20 Jan 2020, 14:05

blinkstudios wrote: 20 Jan 2020, 13:58 Have a feeling Powell has kept a few attacking moves in the locker for the Headingley game. Doesn't want to let them know our game too much for 2 weeks time.
I don’t buy this at all. We should have confidence in our players that we can out play teams by playing our set plays and beating the team your up against in both games. Go out play them off the park and let them do the worrying two weeks later, as it is today we are the team that needs to find the improvement.
Pre season games should be all about fine tuning how you want to play during the season and I got the impression that DP wasn’t overly pleased and knows we need to better.

Sharlotiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Sharlotiger » 20 Jan 2020, 14:09

blinkstudios wrote: 20 Jan 2020, 13:58 Have a feeling Powell has kept a few attacking moves in the locker for the Headingley game. Doesn't want to let them know our game too much for 2 weeks time.
As Powell got anything left in the locker, he as turned an attractive side to watch in to the most boring side in SL over the past couple of seasons , yesterday show cased what another uninspiring year we could be in for.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 20 Jan 2020, 14:15

Honestly that side they had out yesterday was nothing more than a top championship side if were frightened to throw the ball about and show them what weve got god help us when wigan and saints come to town
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Nobody
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Nobody » 20 Jan 2020, 14:15

Sharlotiger wrote: 20 Jan 2020, 14:09
As Powell got anything left in the locker, he as turned an attractive side to watch in to the most boring side in SL over the past couple of seasons , yesterday show cased what another uninspiring year we could be in for.
This one up Rugby doesn't work.
🐯 COYF!

Mucky1978
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mucky1978 » 20 Jan 2020, 14:22

Said over 12 months ago Powell As took us as far as he can and I stand by it.

classycas57
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by classycas57 » 20 Jan 2020, 15:42

Is this jon wells?

Hepworth7
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Hepworth7 » 20 Jan 2020, 16:06

nottinghamtiger wrote: 19 Jan 2020, 23:49
Mucky1978 wrote: 19 Jan 2020, 23:25 No way Any of them 3 will leave come to league.
I’m not so sure.
Most RU clubs are up to the salary cap, so there aren’t many options available to them elsewhere.
They could sign a massive one-year deal with Toronto without anything counting on the salary cap. Let’s remember that Toronto have given SBW the biggest contract in any code of rugby worldwide, so there is no reason they can’t offer similar deals to Saracens players who are now in a bit of a quandary,
Have to agree with Mucky, doubtful any of them at this point of their career would be looking at moving. Saracens are currently cap compliant so don't need to sell, and the two players rumoured to be leaving Lozowski and Kruis will actually give them more cash to strengthen contracts.

Hepworth7
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Hepworth7 » 20 Jan 2020, 16:10

nottinghamtiger wrote: 19 Jan 2020, 20:43
HuddsTigers wrote: 19 Jan 2020, 18:20 Watts, Cook, McMeeken, Smith, Blair, Moors, Foster all injured and missing.

Shenton went off after 25 for a head check. Jesse hobbled off and we ended the game with Clare at centre., I think we will have a bit more punch that we need.
The trouble is that Moors and Foster are almost always injured.
It’s also not unusual to lose players during a game.
It’s blindingly obvious what is missing, and has been since the end of 2017. We’ve had two full seasons and we are still going into 2020 without a full-back who is good enough to be an attacking threat against a decent defensive set-up. Until we sort that, we won’t be winning anything.
That's about the size of it,three years and we seem to be no nearer to sorting the Full Back issue.

daytona
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by daytona » 20 Jan 2020, 19:59

As poor as we were yesterday, the two try’s we scored were simply lovleh! If we can score a few more like that we’ll certainly be worth watching. Just need to put moves on more than twice a game. Maybe we were keeping our powder dry a bit for two weeks time? Here’s hoping anyway...