Isn’t it marvellous..

Players in ... Players out. Got a rumour? Post it in here.
HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Re: Isn’t it marvellous..

Post by HuddsTigers » 12 Nov 2019, 19:45

nottinghamtiger wrote: 12 Nov 2019, 16:06
HuddsTigers wrote: 12 Nov 2019, 14:06 Or they have just been managing their resources into putting out a decent first team for people to watch. Can have the best facilities in the world but if the product is rubbish, no one will want to come watch it then.
This is the part I just don’t buy. This line of “we’re investing in the playing squad” rather than facilities just doesn’t add up for one reason - the salary cap.
By its very nature, we can’t “invest” in the playing squad more than we have done. We were paying up the cap in 2015 and continue to do so. That’s not investment, that’s maintaining the same expenditure.
It could be argued that we have invested in the squad in terms of transfer fees. But the fees we have received (Solomona, Gale, Chase, Carney, McLelland, Johnson) I suspect far outweigh the fees we have paid out (Watts, Hardaker, Mata’utia, Richardson), so again it’s not really investment.
And the thing is, you can usually watch the product on TV without going to WR. How many home games did we have last year that weren’t televised? You can have the best product in the world, but if people can watch it in their own home then you need to give them a reason to go to the expense and effort of coming to watch it live - and at the moment, the game-day experience simply isn’t worth the expense. I guess whether it’s worth the effort depends on how easy it is for individuals to actually get to WR.

Depends on your definition of investing in the playing squad. Mine is being able to keep funding the salary cap, which we haven't been able to do until recent years. There is a limit in rugby league. The club will not (coaching decision) go towards a marquee player and has said they'd need more fans to be able to sustainably do it anyway. Therefore, our expectation should be for the club to keep to maintain their level spending.

We could pull the plug on the playing squad, save £300k-£400k a year, build a pretty toilet block but there's more chance of us getting relegated doing that and people will complain about the quality of the playing squad then. The money has to come from somewhere and no matter what the club does, fans will moan and they cannot win.

It's swings and roundabouts. And there's more to product than nice toilets too. The atmosphere last season was atrocious for most of it, the game is becoming dull as dishwater (not necessarily just Cas). The whole entity of rugby league isn't good enough. The reality is that the sport should sustainably be able to run itself on TV money alone (it doesn't), with the club being able to invest corporate/merchandise/fans income into areas they want to improve and grow.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 12 Nov 2019, 19:45

tigerfeat wrote: 12 Nov 2019, 17:28
Where are we going to be after two more years then ??
Hopefully Glasshoughton!

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 12 Nov 2019, 19:46

Johnlewis1920 wrote: 12 Nov 2019, 14:26 H/T regards breaking even or making a profit I am surprised you have not looked on companies house and seen the latest accounts for the club without the bonus of Wembley / old Trafford and extra sky money it appears more clearer that the on field team have been disguising the off fields performance COYF
We made a small loss in 2018 of around £40k. It's near enough break even and far better than a lot of our rivals who are losing £150k+ a season (e.g. Wigan).

And it's a damn sight better than 10 years ago that's for sure!

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 12 Nov 2019, 21:04

I don’t think Hudds and Nottingham are far apart.
I’ve no idea how long the ground is going to take. The club have been talking about it since 1999.
I personally love it, as do my family. The playing surface, the closeness of the fans to the ground, the atmosphere are all fantastic. The capacity is fine and the prematch experience is miles better than in the plastic modern stadia where fans are kept apart. Parking is also pretty good.
The toilets though are an embarrassment. They have been for many years and it’s not possible to defend them without sounding ridiculous.
The ground is going one way or another in the long run. It would be too expensive to knock down and rebuild even in stages.
I agree with Hudds that if not with volunteers( I believe that a number have been treated pretty badly over the years but they could still be cultivated) or through a sponsorship deal with a local firm or College, possibly linked to Apprentices, some improvements could be made. A bit of thinking outside the box could get rid of a huge amount of criticism and make the ground much more family friendly.

casjunction
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by casjunction » 12 Nov 2019, 22:55

This thread was l think originally about our recruitment or lack of for next season.
It has subsequently meandered to talk on several levels which players and coaches exempted suggests the club and it's management are not fit for purpose.
The media, marketing, merchandising, corporate facilities down to the basics are not fit for purpose.
We put uo with them but are doing so in decreasing numbers.
It may be over exposure on TV.
Family Finance. An ageing customer base unwilling to put up with facilities which are substandard.
Any business run in this way faces demishing returns.
Which bring us back to recruitment or lack of.
It must be a heck of job to sell the nerits of playing for Cas at the best of times.
Do we moan or just express a valid opinion.
Which ever we need to be lustened to and not taken for granted.
If you look at the age profile the full paying and youngsters will soon be outnumbered by us older folk.
See you all next season, hopefully.

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 13 Nov 2019, 00:09

HuddsTigers wrote: 12 Nov 2019, 19:46
Johnlewis1920 wrote: 12 Nov 2019, 14:26 H/T regards breaking even or making a profit I am surprised you have not looked on companies house and seen the latest accounts for the club without the bonus of Wembley / old Trafford and extra sky money it appears more clearer that the on field team have been disguising the off fields performance COYF
We made a small loss in 2018 of around £40k. It's near enough break even and far better than a lot of our rivals who are losing £150k+ a season (e.g. Wigan).

they lost £1.4 million in 2018, the year they won the grand final and received the bateman money. thats on top of losses for previous years.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 13 Nov 2019, 10:58

lurcher wrote: 13 Nov 2019, 00:09
HuddsTigers wrote: 12 Nov 2019, 19:46

they lost £1.4 million in 2018, the year they won the grand final and received the bateman money. thats on top of losses for previous years.
It's amazing we can be in the top 5 on a regular basis and keep making a profit with the corporate being relatively small. A new ground would mean marquee. We just need it to be built.

Johnlewis1920
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Johnlewis1920 » 13 Nov 2019, 11:07

H/T I was pointing out your misleading statement regards the clubs finances
I hope we all support Castleford Tigers I do not get any comfort that our club did not lose as much as other clubs for any one to do so is a recipe for disaster in my opinion COYF

thedogvinnie
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by thedogvinnie » 13 Nov 2019, 11:09

HuddsTigers wrote: 12 Nov 2019, 19:45
tigerfeat wrote: 12 Nov 2019, 17:28
Where are we going to be after two more years then ??
Hopefully Glasshoughton!
Dont hold your breath mate

I dont believe GH will ever happen, especially if we exit the EU but thats another issue

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 13 Nov 2019, 13:41

Johnlewis1920 wrote: 13 Nov 2019, 11:07 H/T I was pointing out your misleading statement regards the clubs finances
I hope we all support Castleford Tigers I do not get any comfort that our club did not lose as much as other clubs for any one to do so is a recipe for disaster in my opinion COYF

It isn't misleading. We have made a profit or have been break even for the past 5 or 6 years. Doesn't matter how we did it, the fact is we did it. And arguably with higher costs too.

2018 didn't see us make either final and we lost around £40k.

We can always do better but in the context of RL and sport in general, anything that is a profit or remotely near a profit is a decent result.

There are a number of areas we can improve significantly and digital is one of them.

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 15 Nov 2019, 12:19

I’d love to see a master plan spreadsheet/job tracker of areas In which folks feel the club are falling short and manage it through with some job/project software,

The then master database would make interesting reading, especially if it was all ignored :hand: :) :)
Audacter Et Sincere

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 07 Dec 2019, 12:13

Anyone dare to estimate how much we currently have available on the cap as I sense a new signing soon.

HT?
Audacter Et Sincere

laner
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by laner » 07 Dec 2019, 13:17

If that was to happen what position, I think the side is lacking a strong no nonsense prop but where they can find that type of player is a big ask

orrsome
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by orrsome » 07 Dec 2019, 14:18

laner wrote: 07 Dec 2019, 13:17 If that was to happen what position, I think the side is lacking a strong no nonsense prop but where they can find that type of player is a big ask
Back up half back?
As has been mentioned elsewhere, I would like to see Jordan Lilley brought in.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 07 Dec 2019, 14:48

Mysterio wrote: 07 Dec 2019, 12:13 Anyone dare to estimate how much we currently have available on the cap as I sense a new signing soon.

HT?
Hard to estimate without knowing contract upgrades and changes.

Must have at least enough for a new player with Ellis going though.

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 09 Dec 2019, 10:39

Please not Lilley