Jamie Ellis

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
stevieblunder
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Jamie Ellis

Post by stevieblunder » 02 Dec 2019, 18:28

Brierley failed at Cas first time round.

Seriously, has anyone seen a marked improvement since he left?
I remember Peter Small

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 02 Dec 2019, 20:08

I think his time was up after some dire games at the back end of 2019.

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 02 Dec 2019, 20:21

stevieblunder wrote: 02 Dec 2019, 18:28 Brierley failed at Cas first time round.

Seriously, has anyone seen a marked improvement since he left?
Brierley never played a competitive match for cas he only played a few friendlies under Millward if my memory serves me right.

Id take Brierley as back up to Rankin and use Mata’utia as back up half back and centre.

Id put Shenton back on left with Eden and hope Blair and Feki can be as dominant on the right.
CLASSY CAS FOREVER

TT Tiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TT Tiger » 02 Dec 2019, 21:44

With brierley for me he has the pace to chime in as a full back the way dp likes so would be interesting to see what he has install for him.

braytontiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by braytontiger » 02 Dec 2019, 21:57

I cannot believe anyone can make a case to think that Ryan brierley could be a good signing.
He’s no longer a young player that can be improved regardless of how good of a coach DP is he’s not a magician. The lads had more clubs than tiger woods,played under numerous coaches at all levels of the game and not one as improved him.
I’d see absolutely 0 value in signing a player that in all likelihood would need us having a glut of injuries to see him get anywhere near our 17.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 02 Dec 2019, 22:39

braytontiger wrote: 02 Dec 2019, 21:57 I cannot believe anyone can make a case to think that Ryan brierley could be a good signing.
He’s no longer a young player that can be improved regardless of how good of a coach DP is he’s not a magician. The lads had more clubs than tiger woods,played under numerous coaches at all levels of the game and not one as improved him.
I’d see absolutely 0 value in signing a player that in all likelihood would need us having a glut of injuries to see him get anywhere near our 17.
I don’t think anyone is suggesting he will come in and demand a spot in the first-choice 17. But if Ellis is gone, we need someone to fill his space in the squad.
As for your argument that he is too old to improve, let’s remember how old Luke Gale was before he started playing at his best. He scraped around the lower leagues, played in relegated teams (both London and Bradford) before coming to Cas and improving under Powell. Likewise, I’d suggest Luke Dorn was at his best in his second spell at the club. Sometimes, all it takes is a marginal gain and, more importantly, playing in a team and structure that suits the attributes of the player, for things to come together and make a previously average player look like a good one.

stevieblunder
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by stevieblunder » 02 Dec 2019, 22:42

Brierley is 28yrs old next March.

I think his 'promising youngster ' and
' needs developing ' days are far behind him.

Are all positive posts on him from family members.?
I remember Peter Small

Nobody
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Nobody » 02 Dec 2019, 22:50

stevieblunder wrote: 02 Dec 2019, 22:42 Brierley is 28yrs old next March.

I think his 'promising youngster ' and
' needs developing ' days are far behind him.

Are all positive posts on him from family members.?
At the end of the day, if / when somebody comes in they ain't gonna be a world beater, there coming in to play 3rd or 4th choice half back.
🐯 COYF!

braytontiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by braytontiger » 02 Dec 2019, 22:58

nottinghamtiger wrote: 02 Dec 2019, 22:39
braytontiger wrote: 02 Dec 2019, 21:57 I cannot believe anyone can make a case to think that Ryan brierley could be a good signing.
I don’t think anyone is suggesting he will come in and demand a spot in the first-choice 17. But if Ellis is gone, we need someone to fill his space in the squad.
As for your argument that he is too old to improve, let’s remember how old Luke Gale was before he started playing at his best. He scraped around the lower leagues, played in relegated teams (both London and Bradford) before coming to Cas and improving under Powell. Likewise, I’d suggest Luke Dorn was at his best in his second spell at the club. Sometimes, all it takes is a marginal gain and, more importantly, playing in a team and structure that suits the attributes of the player, for things to come together and make a previously average player look like a good one.
I’ve watched the lad and followed his career since he joined our club as a skinny 17 year old. He’s built his career on been an opportunist support player. I’ve never seen him take hold of a game and take a team around the park. There is a reason why clubs keep moving him on and it’s probably because he can’t fit into a structured role if he could of he’d have been the next Danny McGuire.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 02 Dec 2019, 23:09

braytontiger wrote: 02 Dec 2019, 22:58
I’ve watched the lad and followed his career since he joined our club as a skinny 17 year old. He’s built his career on been an opportunist support player. I’ve never seen him take hold of a game and take a team around the park. There is a reason why clubs keep moving him on and it’s probably because he can’t fit into a structured role if he could of he’d have been the next Danny McGuire.
Maybe, but I’m willing to give him a shot if he comes on a short-term contract and doesn’t take up much of the cap.
I think his main problem, so far, is the one you point out. He’s just been a support player. That’s not enough for a half-back or a full back in the modern game. Can he develop other attributes? Maybe, maybe not.

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 03 Dec 2019, 00:29

not often (if ever) i disagree with you brayton mate but i do on this. i too watched the skinny 17 year old and whilst he was a good support player his main attribute for me was his organisational skills. if you watched him closely he was setting moves up 3 plays in advance and was quite brilliant at it. trouble was when he was given a chance with the 1st team it would be half a game on the wing which didn't do him any favours. you will know as well as i do that at this time daz clark was in the same team and myself and a lot of ex cas players thought brierly was the best prospect. i was gutted to see him go and fair enough it looks like he made the wrong moves but i think under powell he could still make an impression in super league.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

braytontiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by braytontiger » 03 Dec 2019, 09:36

lurcher wrote: 03 Dec 2019, 00:29
not often (if ever) i disagree with you brayton mate but i do on this. i too watched the skinny 17 year old and whilst he was a good support player his main attribute for me was his organisational skills. if you watched him closely he was setting moves up 3 plays in advance and was quite brilliant at it. trouble was when he was given a chance with the 1st team it would be half a game on the wing which didn't do him any favours. you will know as well as i do that at this time daz clark was in the same team and myself and a lot of ex cas players thought brierly was the best prospect. i was gutted to see him go and fair enough it looks like he made the wrong moves but i think under powell he could still make an impression in super league.
Hey it’s all about opinions and I respect other views. It was a cracking U19s team we had then and as it’s turned out it’s produced some quality players at both super league and championship.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 03 Dec 2019, 09:48

Amazing how time passes I still thought Ryan was early 20s ...
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 03 Dec 2019, 13:18

There's a thread on RB in the runour sectoin so back to Ellis, can anyone confirm he has gone?
Spreading the Cas gene pool

JIN JER
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by JIN JER » 03 Dec 2019, 14:13

According to Oli Holmes he was the "most boring housemate he's ever had."

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 03 Dec 2019, 16:15

Done deal. Set to be announced in next 24 hours.

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 03 Dec 2019, 17:15

Say what you want about Brierley but hes scored 184 tries in 199 games and yes that was mostly in championship but still shows he knows how to get over the line.

So id swap a 27year old Brierley for a 30year old Jamie Ellis
CLASSY CAS FOREVER

stevieblunder
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by stevieblunder » 03 Dec 2019, 18:19

Let's see which, if any Superleague clubs go for Brierley.

Toronto don't want him.

Can't see Wigan, Warrington, St Helens or Hull making a move.

Can't believe for second he's on Powell's wish list for Xmas.

Championship clubs?
I remember Peter Small

North Leeds Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by North Leeds Tiger » 03 Dec 2019, 20:17

He’s brought in as back up, we won’t be signing any big name to sit in the stands as back up. He fits the bill