Reserve Grade

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Reserve Grade

Post by tigerfeat » 13 Nov 2019, 09:05

I thought the whole idea of this coming back next season was to do away with duel -reg and so the players not selected to play in the first team squad in the week played in the reserve comp as it used to be
It seems to me teams are going to send out there better players on duel -reg to get them playing at a higher level in the championship while the reserves will be made up of anybody left and those not chosen by the team your in duel-reg with
Not sure if I'm reading that correct but can't honestly see the point if that's how it's going to be
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Re: Reserve Grade

Post by gateman » 13 Nov 2019, 09:39

when the second team was played in years gone bye there was no dual registration CAS had some cracking gates to watch the second string, i am hoping we play the seconds on a Sunday afternoon so not to clash with the Thursday Friday TV games and the amateur games Saturday

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 13 Nov 2019, 09:46

We did I used to go down most games mesen and it was easy to see players who would soon be challenging for first team
I just don't know who's going to go down to watch a side made up of players York don't need and whoever's left
But like I say we will have to see if that's how clubs are going to treat the new reserve grade
Vince Lombardi

braytontiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by braytontiger » 13 Nov 2019, 09:49

This was always going to happen. The other reason was to give young players time playing against season pros to develop their game.
Can see a situation where DR partners “York” give game time to senior players but don’t give our younger players a chance.

I’ve seen more than a fair number of ex academy players taking a chance at championship clubs knowing full well it’s going to be a better standard than reserve grade.

stevieblunder
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by stevieblunder » 13 Nov 2019, 10:54

Got to agree with Gateman.

If these games are played at times that conflict with Supe League matches, it will affect gates.

This is a great opportunity to play most games on Sunday afternoons and build a solid fan base.

Watching any Cas team at that time in Summer would be very attractive to me and I suspect a number of other fans.

Here's hoping that the Reserve matches are used to try this out next year.
I remember Peter Small

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 13 Nov 2019, 11:04

stevieblunder wrote: 13 Nov 2019, 10:54 Got to agree with Gateman.

If these games are played at times that conflict with Supe League matches, it will affect gates.

This is a great opportunity to play most games on Sunday afternoons and build a solid fan base.

Watching any Cas team at that time in Summer would be very attractive to me and I suspect a number of other fans.

Here's hoping that the Reserve matches are used to try this out next year.
I do like the idea of Sunday afternoon reserve fixtures, great for teams who play on a Friday but York would want their spares ready in case of something happening on their match day.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 13 Nov 2019, 11:20

cant see them not wanting to play the womens matches on a sunday afternoon myself
Vince Lombardi

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 13 Nov 2019, 13:38

Interviews I've seen in recent weeks with DP and JW seem to suggest that they are looking to get as many down for all age groups, or want to.

Think reserves will be Saturday personally. Women's on a Sunday.

Women play less frequently so Reserves moves to Sunday when they don't play.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 02 Dec 2019, 22:10

fixtures out disappointed no Sunday afternoon fixtures m reserves clashing with the Thursday TV games Academy Saturday clashing with the local sides, if i wanted to cut the size of the crowd i could not have done better talk about shooting yourselves in the foot

stevieblunder
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by stevieblunder » 02 Dec 2019, 22:54

So true Gateman.

Thursday for most home games will ensure I can't attend .

Think it's the worst possible day for quite a few fans.

Personally, I can't see the logic.
Maybe someone from the club could explain.
I remember Peter Small

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 03 Dec 2019, 08:39

Presumably it is because the first team play on Friday and women play on Sunday. Therefore only free days are Saturday or a midweek day. Personally, I would have had the academy Thursday since it is likely to be hardcore that watch them, and Reserves on a Saturday.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

Sharlotiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Sharlotiger » 03 Dec 2019, 15:09

Surprised I thought most reeve sides would have played Wednesday night so as to not effect the community game too much

TheSheriff
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TheSheriff » 03 Dec 2019, 15:45

Didn't the original article on the York DR mention (or imply at least) that York will have some players turn out for the Cas reserves as part of the deal if needed?

on side
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by on side » 04 Dec 2019, 19:17

confirmed reserve games at home played on Thursday nights , think this kills off any chance off getting many to go when clashes with sky games Wednesday night or Sunday aft would have being better my opinion

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 05 Dec 2019, 09:58

on side wrote: 04 Dec 2019, 19:17 confirmed reserve games at home played on Thursday nights , think this kills off any chance off getting many to go when clashes with sky games Wednesday night or Sunday aft would have being better my opinion
seems like common sense but who the hell am only just another paying customer , i believe the reserves KO in late January is it too much to ask for the first few games to be be played in day light on a Sunday when at least it may be a little warmer ??

yorky
Verified
League One Player
League One Player

Post by yorky » 05 Dec 2019, 12:53

well i was looking forward to sunday afternoon "A" team games but to have them clashing with the thursday night sky game just makes me wonder what the thinking behind this is, they obviously dont care how many spectators they get. is it because they have to pay the staff too much on sundays?

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 05 Dec 2019, 13:23

any extra expenses should be overcome by extra revenue i am disappointed they are not playing these games on a Sunday

thedogvinnie
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by thedogvinnie » 05 Dec 2019, 13:42

it will work for me for some games, i detest being penned in at the rented soccer grounds and always give them a miss, so i will get my fix at a second team game when we are playing those soccer lodgers

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 05 Dec 2019, 19:41

gateman wrote: 05 Dec 2019, 13:23 any extra expenses should be overcome by extra revenue i am disappointed they are not playing these games on a Sunday
Coach Radford said yesterday he thought the reserve grade would be nothing like it was intended to be
Teams made up of players from the club your in duel reg with amateurs university players basically a lot of A.N others
Can't see many wanting to go down and watch that if that's how it turns out ...
Vince Lombardi

braytontiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by braytontiger » 05 Dec 2019, 19:58

tigerfeat wrote: 05 Dec 2019, 19:41
gateman wrote: 05 Dec 2019, 13:23 any extra expenses should be overcome by extra revenue i am disappointed they are not playing these games on a Sunday
Coach Radford said yesterday he thought the reserve grade would be nothing like it was intended to be
Teams made up of players from the club your in duel reg with amateurs university players basically a lot of A.N others
Can't see many wanting to go down and watch that if that's how it turns out ...
How many of our younger players will get a gig at York with them having a strong squad of 22/23 players. I’m not convinced reserves will work for clubs like ours. I don’t believe we have 1 half back unless we’ve brought someone off the streets to play in the reserves.