Isn’t it marvellous..

Players in ... Players out. Got a rumour? Post it in here.
Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Re: Isn’t it marvellous..

Post by Mysterio » 28 Oct 2019, 13:18

Which paper?

Quite unbelievable IMO.

I mean does anyone else not have concerns?
Audacter Et Sincere

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 28 Oct 2019, 13:19

Mysterio wrote: 28 Oct 2019, 13:18 Which paper?

Quite unbelievable IMO.

Can only assume Richo has come in on megabucks...
Audacter Et Sincere

Nobody
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Nobody » 28 Oct 2019, 13:23

mart0042 wrote: 28 Oct 2019, 11:06
tigerfeat wrote: 28 Oct 2019, 10:50 Wells says it again in this mornings paper little room on the salary cap and no one else planned to come in before the start of next season...
But if players retire or are sold then we'll hit the market.
Still rumours of Ellis to Leigh floating around, can't see that freeing up too much cash though
🐯 COYF!

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 28 Oct 2019, 13:29

Quite unbelievable IMO.

league express ....cant see how weve no salary cap left or even close to it ,he goes on to say if we went with the squad we have now i would be very excited for 2020 or something like that cant remember his exact words
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

KB80
League One Player
League One Player

Post by KB80 » 28 Oct 2019, 13:30

Quite unbelievable IMO.

Yep. Wonder if we backloaded a couple of contracts (Millo, Moors for example).

Nobody
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Nobody » 28 Oct 2019, 13:53

Nobody wrote: 28 Oct 2019, 13:23
tigerfeat wrote: 28 Oct 2019, 10:50 Wells says it again in this mornings paper little room on the salary cap and no one else planned to come in before the start of next season...
Still rumours of Ellis to Leigh floating around, can't see that freeing up too much cash though
I'm convinced something is wrong at the club, how can you offload your highest earner and bring in a new player on half his salary (supposedly) and not have any cap space left and have expectations of not signing anyone else.
🐯 COYF!

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 28 Oct 2019, 14:13

Truey will have an upgrade on his contract you'd have thought.

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 28 Oct 2019, 14:14

Truey will have an upgrade on his contract you'd have thought. Maybe watts aswell.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 28 Oct 2019, 14:21

Nobody wrote: 28 Oct 2019, 13:53
I'm convinced something is wrong at the club, how can you offload your highest earner and bring in a new player on half his salary (supposedly) and not have any cap space left and have expectations of not signing anyone else.
He didn't say we had "no cap space". His comments have been misquoted.

He said "we live in a salary cap sport and we have to work within the confines of the salary cap". He also said "if the right player came along and we could make that work, then why not?"

Essentially, he's saying we've got the cap space available if the right player came along that would improve the squad. But once again, we aren't going to blow what space we have on just anyone, especially if they're demanding too much.

What may also be another factor that people exclude is that many of the players may have performance bonuses built into their contracts outside of their basic wage that could count on the cap at the end of the season. For example, we may offer say Richardson, an extra £5k if we make the top 4 (just an example, not fact). That has to count on the cap.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

Nobody
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Nobody » 28 Oct 2019, 14:23

HuddsTigers wrote: 28 Oct 2019, 14:21
Nobody wrote: 28 Oct 2019, 13:53
He didn't say we had "no cap space". His comments have been misquoted.

He said "we live in a salary cap sport and we have to work within the confines of the salary cap". He also said "if the right player came along and we could make that work, then why not?"

Essentially, he's saying we've got the cap space available if the right player came along that would improve the squad. But once again, we aren't going to blow what space we have on just anyone, especially if they're demanding too much.

What may also be another factor that people exclude is that many of the players may have performance bonuses built into their contracts outside of their basic wage that could count on the cap at the end of the season. For example, we may offer say Richardson, an extra £5k if we make the top 4 (just an example, not fact). That has to count on the cap.
Apologies if that's what's been said, I've not actually seen it or read it was just going off what folk on here have said.
🐯 COYF!

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 28 Oct 2019, 14:35

i said little room on the salary cap ...and i wasnt miss quoting him as i said i couldnt remember what his actual words were,it was obvious there was some cap left as gale as just left
Vince Lombardi

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 28 Oct 2019, 18:28

Id say the wages of the players coming in are about equal to the players leaving.
Olpherts > Egodo
Hepi > maher
Richardson < Gale
Griffin > Clarkson
Feki > Minikin
Aston

Also would Rankins new contract be more than what we paid for him on loan?

Did we give any contract extensions out this year with pay rises?
CLASSY CAS FOREVER

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 28 Oct 2019, 18:47

There are enough good players at Cas the coach is certainly good enough conditioner Bell seemed to hint last week we would be a level up on last season's mental and physical shape
If Wells as got the 1 6 7 9 correct I think we will have a good season
Vince Lombardi

SREGITSAC
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by SREGITSAC » 28 Oct 2019, 20:45

jackknife wrote: 28 Oct 2019, 18:28 Id say the wages of the players coming in are about equal to the players leaving.
Olpherts > Egodo
Hepi > maher
Richardson < Gale
Griffin > Clarkson
Feki > Minikin
Aston

Also would Rankins new contract be more than what we paid for him on loan?

Did we give any contract extensions out this year with pay rises?
Rankin is still on loan

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 28 Oct 2019, 22:17

I refuse to accept we *should* be anywhere near the cap when you compare our squad to some other clubs. I’m not talking about one or two marquee players either.

Anyway. Seems everyone is willing to accept what we’re being fed and the squad being as is bar us getting extremely lucky with a Liam watts type signing during the next few months (we landed on our feet there)

I said at the end of the season tough decisions needed making but it would appear that tough decisions and / or conversations have been avoided

No silverware next season. I desperately hope I am wrong and would be more than happy to be proven so. Absolutely delighted in fact.
Audacter Et Sincere

KB80
League One Player
League One Player

Post by KB80 » 28 Oct 2019, 22:44

We aren't bringing young players through into the squad which doesn't help cap wise.

Wigan for example have Smithies, Partington, Bryne and a few more recent breakthrough players who won't be on big contracts but are 1st team regulars.

Additionally, like it or not teams like Wigan are a bigger draw than Cas so probably have to pay a bit less too.

Finally I would imagine you'd generally get away with paying your local lads a bit less even after they become established 1st teamers (IE Gildart, Marshall, Burgess, Davies, Manfredi).

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 29 Oct 2019, 11:16

KB80 wrote: 28 Oct 2019, 22:44 We aren't bringing young players through into the squad which doesn't help cap wise.

Wigan for example have Smithies, Partington, Bryne and a few more recent breakthrough players who won't be on big contracts but are 1st team regulars.

Additionally, like it or not teams like Wigan are a bigger draw than Cas so probably have to pay a bit less too.

Finally I would imagine you'd generally get away with paying your local lads a bit less even after they become established 1st teamers (IE Gildart, Marshall, Burgess, Davies, Manfredi).
I hear you mate but there’s FIVE of them there. And, Daryl and our rugby and realistic challenge for GF if we get the right guy(s) on board is a fair draw in itself too.
Audacter Et Sincere

KB80
League One Player
League One Player

Post by KB80 » 29 Oct 2019, 11:52

Mysterio wrote: 29 Oct 2019, 11:16
KB80 wrote: 28 Oct 2019, 22:44 We aren't bringing young players through into the squad which doesn't help cap wise.

I hear you mate but there’s FIVE of them there. And, Daryl and our rugby and realistic challenge for GF if we get the right guy(s) on board is a fair draw in itself too.
True mate but looking through Wigans squad last year:

They only had 21 established SL/NRL players
- at least 8 of which came through their ranks
- used the marque allowance

The remainder of the squad were;
- championship projects (ie Hankinson, Bullock)
- recent breakthrough players (Smithies, Bryne, Partington)
- promising youngsters (Smith, Field, Bourah, etc!)

Compared to us we had 23 established SL/NRL players (I'm not including Maher etc)
- only 3 came through our ranks (without leaving and coming back)
- no marque relief used
- maybe 2/3 youngish players that could step up into 1st team last season if needed.
- because of the lack of young players we have to sign/retain the likes of Maher, Edodu, Aston who's wages were probably on a par with Partington, Smithies, Bryne)

For me we need to:
- invest in the promising under 16's we have,
- be ruthless with contract extensions
- cut down on some of the squad filler/project signings (We carried Aston for 2/3 years he played about 5 times, Maher 5 years played about 15 times, Egodu 2/3 years 5 or 6 games - combine their wages and add Rankins and we could have had a pot at beating Wigan to signing Bevin French as our full back)

SWISS TONY!!
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by SWISS TONY!! » 29 Oct 2019, 16:26

Still dont know why we haven't used the marquee rule for shenton for the last few years! If rumour was true he was on 130k a year from coming from saints and we could have used the rule so only 75k was on the cap due to him coming through our ranks ala gale at Leeds then as a simple business decision it makes sense!
Long Live The Monkey Munch!!!

andymc133
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by andymc133 » 29 Oct 2019, 16:46

Don't think the club has the money to pay above the cap so marquee rule wouldn't make any difference