Great Britain Tour

Super League, National Leagues and the NRL
Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Great Britain Tour

Post by Fumper27 » 26 Oct 2019, 08:32

Watching the first 20 minutes and I would really like to know what Wayne Bennett saw to pick Chris Hill over Liam Watts

daytona
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Great Britain Tour

Post by daytona » 26 Oct 2019, 09:05

We’ve been absolutely monstered haven’t we all first half. Bad selections and poor boring game plan as usual. Two slowest wingers I’ve seen in a Great Britain shirt, but hats off to Tonga, they have been brutal so far. Amazing try by them on the hooter as well. Will they run out of gas though?

flood light tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by flood light tiger » 26 Oct 2019, 09:11

Could say why is coote hastings Hall Graham widdop playing getting wollopped as to make changes for next week be honest can't see us winning any game just another off season holiday before preseason

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 26 Oct 2019, 09:14

I'd be a bit concerned if I'd just spent a fortune on Widdop dosnt look half the player he was couple of years ago
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 26 Oct 2019, 09:19

flood light tiger wrote: 26 Oct 2019, 09:11 Could say why is coote hastings Hall Graham widdop playing getting wollopped as to make changes for next week be honest can't see us winning any game just another off season holiday before preseason
Coote is in on the back of a great season
Hastings the same

The other three in on reputation only.

Typical GB / England selections.

alftupper
League One Player
League One Player

Post by alftupper » 26 Oct 2019, 10:16

who cares about M62 vs Tongo when England are beating the All Blacks st rugby

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 26 Oct 2019, 12:43

As ever, poor selection decisions.
Hardaker, who hasn’t played centre all year.
Hall who has played 7 games all year.
McGilvary who has been very poor all year.
Chris Hill, who has been very poor for two years.
The only surprise is that Kevin Brown isn’t playing at 6.

Piquad1
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Piquad1 » 26 Oct 2019, 15:17

Lol notts couldn't have put it better

duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by duke street 10 » 26 Oct 2019, 16:46

Today's result is no surprise to me. For starters Tonga have a few players who would make the Australian side (Tupou,Taukeiaho & Taumalolo) and the likes of Fonua-Blake & Fifita off the bench are better than Chris Hill & a once great but aging James Graham. Then you have the strange squad selections...

But the main thing for me is the sport in this country has lost its playing style...and with that our identity at international level. The obsession of trying to copy the Australians doesn't work and will never work.

We were predictable and boring to watch this morning. At least when we used to lose in the 80s down under we had some flair in the side that tried things. It really depends on which N.Z turns up in the next 2 weeks, suspect G.B will be 0 & 3 by the time they play PNG.

Spanishtiger
Verified

Post by Spanishtiger » 26 Oct 2019, 21:24

Add to that Hodgson is too slow at the ptb. He looks much sharper in NRL where the 10m is properly policed by the 2nd ref.

flood light tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by flood light tiger » 26 Oct 2019, 21:38

Put Clark Trueman and Watts in squad for me widdop to slow needs a zimmerframe Watts for Thompson Clark for Hodgson got lead in his boots

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 27 Oct 2019, 08:01

The coach needs needs to be based in England to pick Ryan Hall was ridiculous
Vince Lombardi

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 27 Oct 2019, 19:07

The big difference to me is that the Tongan team is made up of Tongans who are passionate about playing for their home country and have chosen to do that despite the opposition of their Aussie and Kiwi paymasters. Their passion is rewarded by the commitment and loyalty of their fans.
We on the other hand prefer to choose a ragbag of ageing professionals ( a number based in Australia) and Aussies with vague U.K. connections who aren’t good enough to make their own national team. It worked for us (nearly ) in the World Cup two years ago, but the reality is that Wayne Bennett ( whom I respect as a coach) is using NRL tactics to try and beat teams with younger, fitter and more committed players who know our tactics like the back of their hands.
There were some good performances for example from Bateman, Whitehead and McGillvray on Saturday, but I couldn’t believe the likes of Watts and Clark weren’t playing on Saturday and Hodgson and the ageing Hill and Hall were. I know others like Makinson were injured but if nothing else, we should be building for the future. If we throw the likes of Trueman, Grace etc into the fray for the first time in Tests against the Aussies we are going to get destroyed. Bennett has done a good job for us but we need to reconsider having a home based coach and ideally one with no club attachments

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 27 Oct 2019, 20:38

You do know half of the Tongan team were actually Aussies n New Zealanders
CLASSY CAS FOREVER

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 27 Oct 2019, 20:52

No, I didn’t. Which ones were they and how did they qualify for Tonga?
I know there were a number in the team who qualified for Australia or New Zealand and some who were wanted by the Aussie and Kiwi national teams but chose to play for Tonga, but I didn’t realise they weren’t Tongan.
Mind you I’m struggling to think of anyone in the GB team who would chose GB if they were wanted for the Aussie national set up.
Always happy to admit I’m wrong . Let me know what the real facts are.

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 27 Oct 2019, 23:14

Tamworth Tiger wrote: 27 Oct 2019, 20:52 No, I didn’t. Which ones were they and how did they qualify for Tonga?
I know there were a number in the team who qualified for Australia or New Zealand and some who were wanted by the Aussie and Kiwi national teams but chose to play for Tonga, but I didn’t realise they weren’t Tongan.
Mind you I’m struggling to think of anyone in the GB team who would chose GB if they were wanted for the Aussie national set up.
Always happy to admit I’m wrong . Let me know what the real facts are.
Jason Taumalolo was born New Zealand

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 28 Oct 2019, 02:10

Thanks. Not sure that on its own necessarily determines Nationality, but OK

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 28 Oct 2019, 07:00

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonga_n ... eague_team

Click on the player it shows you where they were born about 80% of that Tongan team are born in new zealand or Australia and quite a few have already played for Australia (fafita tupou jennings) and new zealand (taumalolo fusitua) before deciding Tonga was for them.
CLASSY CAS FOREVER

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 28 Oct 2019, 09:31

Thanks. That’s fair enough. What they have done is to make a choice based on their Tongan heritage e.g.Taumalalo’s parents are Tongan. He and possibly others played for Tonga some years ago but was also being courted by both NZ and Australia
I accept what you have said but it doesn’t really affect my point, that they have made a choice to commit to the country that they identify with as Tongans even if there is pressure from the ‘big two’
The Aussies that play for GB may have eligibility ( like Rangi did) but they aren’t in line to play for their home country and I need to be convinced that they have the same passion as the Tongan team

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 28 Oct 2019, 09:41

Didn't all the tongans that were playing for N.Z at the time have a big fall out with the coach and decided they'd rarther play for Tonga
Vince Lombardi