Toronto

Super League, National Leagues and the NRL
tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Toronto

Post by tigerfeat » 06 Oct 2019, 09:40

Ok who's going to be going there next season ;)
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Derbyshiretiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Toronto

Post by Derbyshiretiger » 06 Oct 2019, 10:16

I for one wont be. It's a mockery that they are even going to be in superleague. PSG All over again but worse. Totally unsustainable

Mucky1978
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mucky1978 » 06 Oct 2019, 10:38

When A lad I know who watches Hunslet went 3 year ago it was £900 for 3 nights.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 06 Oct 2019, 11:13

There will be plenty there in black and orange don't worry about that
I think theve done well for a place few years ago never heard of rugby league to get 10,000 sell out for a match
Vince Lombardi

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 06 Oct 2019, 11:17

The worry is that they are already asking to play by different rules.
They want to play all their away games in the first half of the season and then play at home in the second half of the season. That’s just unfair in all the other clubs.
They think they should be allowed more quota players that the other clubs.
They think they should age a higher salary cap than the other clubs.
It won’t be long before they want immunity from relegation.
I have no real issue with them coming into SL, as they’ve earned it on the field. But they have to play by the same rules as everyone else,

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 06 Oct 2019, 11:31

Yeah they have to play by same rules, I would imagine all this as been sorted out tho unless it just dawns on someone you ain't going to be playing outdoor rugby league in Toronto much before end of April
Last edited by tigerfeat on 06 Oct 2019, 11:42, edited 1 time in total.
Vince Lombardi

braytontiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by braytontiger » 06 Oct 2019, 11:39

McDermott in a two minute interview as done them no favours what so ever. You don’t call the shots and upset the apple cart.
They have to play by the rules they cannot call all the shots. IMO it’s a sad for RL in the heartlands. We may need expansion but we also need grassroots clubs as without them we don’t have a game.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 06 Oct 2019, 11:44

Can't see it lasting long the logistics are just ridiculous
Vince Lombardi

Matt
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @invmatt

Post by Matt » 06 Oct 2019, 12:01

braytontiger wrote: 06 Oct 2019, 11:39 McDermott in a two minute interview as done them no favours what so ever. You don’t call the shots and upset the apple cart.
They have to play by the rules they cannot call all the shots. IMO it’s a sad for RL in the heartlands. We may need expansion but we also need grassroots clubs as without them we don’t have a game.
He mentions Barcelona, New York, Toronto etc and how they'll be great for growing the game and attracting sponsors without considering anything else. Sure lets have all these teams in SL and watch the fan base die as a result. Stadiums will be half full with nothing but home fans and the logistics will becoming near impossible.

I'm interested in how Sky and the RFL are going to handle the fixtures next season. What happens if Sky decide to move a match from Sunday to Thursday as they already do at fairly short notice. There's a huge difference between not being able to make the match or losing £1000+ on flights etc.
For website related issues or queries please contact the admin account as I no longer own or maintain Casforum.

Sharlotiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Sharlotiger » 06 Oct 2019, 12:22

It now means there will be 2 teams in SL who can't play Thursday nights so even more games on that day for the English based clubs with more disruptions.
With all the likely fixture changes it may be time for Cas to bite the bullet and move to Friday nite fixture scheduling. so fans know where they stand when purchasing season tickets.

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 06 Oct 2019, 13:19

Matt wrote: 06 Oct 2019, 12:01
braytontiger wrote: 06 Oct 2019, 11:39 McDermott in a two minute interview as done them no favours what so ever. You don’t call the shots and upset the apple cart.
He mentions Barcelona, New York, Toronto etc and how they'll be great for growing the game and attracting sponsors without considering anything else. Sure lets have all these teams in SL and watch the fan base die as a result. Stadiums will be half full with nothing but home fans and the logistics will becoming near impossible.

I'm interested in how Sky and the RFL are going to handle the fixtures next season. What happens if Sky decide to move a match from Sunday to Thursday as they already do at fairly short notice. There's a huge difference between not being able to make the match or losing £1000+ on flights etc.
Catalan n Toronto wont play on Thursday nights
CLASSY CAS FOREVER

Matt
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @invmatt

Post by Matt » 06 Oct 2019, 14:13

jackknife wrote: 06 Oct 2019, 13:19Catalan n Toronto wont play on Thursday nights
I'm guessing they'll play both Easter fixtures away too then as you can't expect an English/French club to back up a fixture 3 days later in Canada?
For website related issues or queries please contact the admin account as I no longer own or maintain Casforum.

derbystiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by derbystiger » 06 Oct 2019, 15:53

I’ll wait to see how the fixture list pans out now before renewing my season ticket. It’s an absolute joke that they should be allowed in. Carney summed it up perfectly ‘we now have a Canadian team in the European super league’. They can’t play at home for the first 2 months, they can sign who they like as they have no home grown players so the quota regs are a joke with them. They will be exempt last minute fixture changes, they’ll only play on weekends. Costs a fortune to travel there, on top of a Catalans trip. Ridiculous. I love Cas rugby league club but if this is the way the sport is going then I’ll find something else to do with my time. Going to watch Rangi at Doncaster sounds appealing at the moment.

braytontiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by braytontiger » 06 Oct 2019, 16:09

derbystiger wrote: 06 Oct 2019, 15:53 I’ll wait to see how the fixture list pans out now before renewing my season ticket. It’s an absolute joke that they should be allowed in. Carney summed it up perfectly ‘we now have a Canadian team in the European super league’. They can’t play at home for the first 2 months, they can sign who they like as they have no home grown players so the quota regs are a joke with them. They will be exempt last minute fixture changes, they’ll only play on weekends. Costs a fortune to travel there, on top of a Catalans trip. Ridiculous. I love Cas rugby league club but if this is the way the sport is going then I’ll find something else to do with my time. Going to watch Rangi at Doncaster sounds appealing at the moment.
Pretty much my thoughts too. If this is the way RL is going I’m out.

stuey
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by stuey » 06 Oct 2019, 17:47

Same here. The whole Toronto being in SL, is a joke. How much cash in "away" support will they bring to Castleford or any of the other clubs, how many of the existing clubs supporters are going to go there?.

The RL will not be happy until in 10 years time they have a SL of Toronto, New York, Barcelona, Newcastle, Birmingham, London, Catalans, Toulose, Leeds, Hull, Wigan & Saints, with all the other teams demoted to the Championship. No "away" supporters waching any of the games, but hurrah we we have expanded SL!!

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 06 Oct 2019, 23:37

the fixture programming will be interesting early season as wigan usually are allowed to play most of their early games away as the football team they rent from take first preference.
a lot has been made in recent seasons of how wigan come with a late run but that is because their late fixtures are heavily concentrated at home to make up for all their early season away games. stinks
jo brand is eddie warings love child

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 07 Oct 2019, 09:52

Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water or Cas because Toronto have been promoted. Let's see what happens.

First thing we know is that the 11 remaining teams will get Torontos share of the sky money. So we are nearly 200k up.

Secondly, they are signing a couple of stars, with Sonny bill being one touted. Plus the mystery of playing them should put extra on the gates. Maybe not as many ss Fev would but you save money in the extra security.

Thirdly, we don't know how having Toronto in will effect the sky contact negotiations. I can only see it being positive.

Time will tell but I wouldn't stop watching Cas because another team got promoted. Hopefully I can find the money to go away to watch them.

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 07 Oct 2019, 09:56

lurcher wrote: 06 Oct 2019, 23:37 the fixture programming will be interesting early season as wigan usually are allowed to play most of their early games away as the football team they rent from take first preference.
a lot has been made in recent seasons of how wigan come with a late run but that is because their late fixtures are heavily concentrated at home to make up for all their early season away games. stinks
It does stink, Leeds get similar when the RU team play.

The fixture list should be drawn out randomly apart from maybe Easter. If you can't play then that's the teams fault. You should be penalised for not having your own ground but gain an advantage from it.

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 07 Oct 2019, 12:25

I'm trying to read between the lines on this as I believe the RFL have an obvious motive but less obvious method. If, as many seem to suggest, they won't travel, they won't/can't support their club on Thursdays or worse, the disingenuous Ralph Rimmer type bods that run the game will turn around and say fine, we don't want these small minded teams.

Perhaps we should embrace the challenge and tackle it head on, play the team off the park and make their owners see that it takes a little more to compete in SL than a few old lackies playing for a pension.
Spreading the Cas gene pool

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 07 Oct 2019, 12:47

derbystiger wrote: 06 Oct 2019, 15:53 I’ll wait to see how the fixture list pans out now before renewing my season ticket. It’s an absolute joke that they should be allowed in. Carney summed it up perfectly ‘we now have a Canadian team in the European super league’. They can’t play at home for the first 2 months, they can sign who they like as they have no home grown players so the quota regs are a joke with them. They will be exempt last minute fixture changes, they’ll only play on weekends. Costs a fortune to travel there, on top of a Catalans trip. Ridiculous. I love Cas rugby league club but if this is the way the sport is going then I’ll find something else to do with my time. Going to watch Rangi at Doncaster sounds appealing at the moment.
They have the same quota as everyone else. They're allowed 7 overseas signings that are non-fed/quota. The rest are English or French that don't count on either quota. There's nothing stopping an English club having an entire side of French, Spanish, Italian or any other European country of players if they want.

No team plays a conventional home and away system so it's not really much of an issue if they play 4 H, 4 A, 4 H, 4 A (if that IS even the case), especially since others have already mentioned that existing clubs have blocks of games over the summer due to pitches being relayed for football.

They will probably play on Saturdays, yes, since it would allow better broadcasting for Sky Sports to televise their games over here. Teams could play them on a Thursday if they wanted but it would mean it being broadcast at 1am UK time, which wouldn't be great. Ultimately, as a sport we have to do the best for attendances AND TV. Nothing stopping them playing on Thursday nights when over here though.

As for a fortune to travel, that happens across all sports nowadays. Football fans travel for Champions League games, rugby union games are played cross-continental. People can pick and choose whether they go - one thing is certain, they certainly don't need to rely on away fans to fill their ground like British clubs bleat about. 10k fans actually turned out of their own accord for the Grand Final.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!