Would you....

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Swagger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Would you....

Post by Swagger » 11 Sep 2019, 20:43

I've been thinking on how it will more than likely pan out after tomorrow's results...

So my question is...

Would you rather

Beat Wigan tomorrow but more than likely have to play Wigan in play offs next week away....as Warrington and Salford will more than likely win.

Or

Lose tomorrow, hope Hull lose and travel to Salford or Warrington???

I know losing tomorrow may mean we miss out on play offs but I think it then gives us an easier run in play offs as Wigan are the team I wouldn't wanna play.

So for me I think I would rather lose tomorrow and take the risk Saints beat Hull.

Swagger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Would you....

Post by Swagger » 11 Sep 2019, 20:46

Don't get me wrong... I never want to lose but I think it makes sense if we wanna have a better chance to progress in play offs.

Squaddie86
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Squaddie86 » 11 Sep 2019, 22:19

Finishing 3rd is preferable to finishing 5th.

Finish 3rd and lose away to Wigan? Get a home game against whoever wins out of 4th v 5th.

Finish 5th? Play away to 4th, then have to play loser of 2nd v 3rd away.

I'd rather guarantee either at least one home playoff game OR only 2 games to the grand final (win 2nd v 3rd and then 1st v winner).

Best chance to progress is to beat Wigan. In fact finishing 3rd gives us GUARANTEED progression to round 2, with the possibility of skipping round 3 altogether if we're lucky (that would involve beating saints away).

It'd be insanity to WANT to finish 5th instead of 3rd, regardless of opposition.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 11 Sep 2019, 22:32

This, but looking at points difference for Salford and Wire, it’s pretty unlikely we will finish higher than 5th
Last edited by Tamworth Tiger on 11 Sep 2019, 22:35, edited 1 time in total.

KB80
League One Player
League One Player

Post by KB80 » 11 Sep 2019, 22:34

Squaddie86 wrote:Finishing 3rd is preferable to finishing 5th.

Finish 3rd and lose away to Wigan? Get a home game against whoever wins out of 4th v 5th.

I'd rather guarantee either at least one home playoff game OR only 2 games to the grand final (win 2nd v 3rd and then 1st v winner).

Best chance to progress is to beat Wigan. In fact finishing 3rd gives us GUARANTEED progression to round 2, with the possibility of skipping round 3 altogether if we're lucky (that would involve beating saints away).

It'd be insanity to WANT to finish 5th instead of 3rd, regardless of opposition.
If we win tommorow we still only finish 5th. Wigan probably finish 4th.

Lose and Hull lose we finish 5th. Salford or Wire finish 4th.

SREGITSAC
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by SREGITSAC » 12 Sep 2019, 04:02

Likelihood is that regardless of when we play Wigan in the playoffs it’s a battle that come and that we have to overcome so I’d welcome it first up, if we got knocked out so be it. We can’t get to a final or win a final by avoiding the tougher teams.

Balboa1
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Balboa1 » 12 Sep 2019, 04:34

SREGITSAC wrote:Likelihood is that regardless of when we play Wigan in the playoffs it’s a battle that come and that we have to overcome so I’d welcome it first up, if we got knocked out so be it. We can’t get to a final or win a final by avoiding the tougher teams.
Well said that man! :clap:

Swagger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Swagger » 12 Sep 2019, 06:56

Yeh I'm not sure you have looked at table fully. We won't finish 3rd or 4th due to PD Salford and Wire AVE a huge PD on us so can't catch them. Best we can hope for is 5th so it's just who we wanna play in the play offs.
Lose and we avoid Wigan
Win and we probably play Wigan

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 12 Sep 2019, 08:07

If we beat Wigan tonight then confidence in the team will be massive going in to a play off game against them a week later. Wigan and Lam are already playing mind games, so they have obviously seen something in us these last few weeks that are worrying them.

However, I know Salford are playing well, but I'd still rather play them. We can't though rely on Saints to do a job for us, we have to beat Wigan.

Squaddie86
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Squaddie86 » 12 Sep 2019, 08:44

KB80 wrote:

Ah of course.

I'd still rather win going forward. Winning is a habit.

Burratha
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Burratha » 12 Sep 2019, 08:54

Balboa1 wrote:
SREGITSAC wrote:Likelihood is that regardless of when we play Wigan in the playoffs it’s a battle that come and that we have to overcome so I’d welcome it first up, if we got knocked out so be it. We can’t get to a final or win a final by avoiding the tougher teams.
Well said that man! :clap:
I agree. If we're going to do it, might as well do it in style!

KB80
League One Player
League One Player

Post by KB80 » 12 Sep 2019, 09:01

Squaddie86 wrote:
KB80 wrote:

Ah of course.

I'd still rather win going forward. Winning is a habit.
Agree.

Captain
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Captain » 12 Sep 2019, 09:32

Win and guarantee the playoffs rather than sweating it out all day Friday waiting for the Hull game.

Got to beat the big boys in the playoffs anyway. I remember a certain night in 1999 when we had to travel to Wigan first up.....

Swagger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Swagger » 12 Sep 2019, 22:20

Never like losing but didn't really wanna play Wigan away in round 1 of play offs anyway.

So now let's hope Saints win like I said and we have more chance going to Salford or Wire.