Seven into five....

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Re: Seven into five....

Post by heritage1926 » 12 Aug 2019, 11:45

flow wrote:
heritage1926 wrote:
old cas lass wrote:Can only see us beating hudds out of them 4.
Very disappointing end to the season.
Disappointing season as a whole. Will also be the first time since Powell took over, where we will more than likely lose more games than we have won and finish with a negative points difference.
that's not only thing that's worrying I think my opinion first time powell being here the clubs probably run at lost this year with poor performances the crowds have dropped drastically compared to the year we made a profit be very surprised if made any profit in turn over this season .
For me, the value for money hasn't been there this season at all. For £24, I want entertaining and we have been far from that.

dettoriman
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: Dettoriman

Post by dettoriman » 12 Aug 2019, 12:07

The season is done.

We have no form or real ideas. The best thing for us would be to finish the season earlier. And give players extra time to recover before next season. Finish 3 weeks earlier and start pre season training early.
Loyalty Costs Nothing !

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 12 Aug 2019, 12:23

dettoriman wrote:The season is done.

We have no form or real ideas. The best thing for us would be to finish the season earlier. And give players extra time to recover before next season. Finish 3 weeks earlier and start pre season training early.
Can see Wattsy being picked for GB at the end of the year as well as a few others for England Knights. Some will still be playing past the season.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 12 Aug 2019, 12:36

dettoriman wrote:The season is done.

First leeds away game I noticed the players looked a unhappy bunch right through to Saturday on and off when Powell repeated that the players weren't enjoying there rugby
Lets hope he can fix things by the time next season arrives it should be a given every game you play with the maximum enthusiasm for the job
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 12 Aug 2019, 12:37

I find this thread really sad.
It reminds me of the feeling of entitlement there was in the 1970-71 season when the great cup era side started to fall apart and reaching the cup semi that year was seen as failure. The crowds fell really quickly that season and the suggestion from the posters here is that the same is happening
The facts as I’ve stated on this forum don’t back up that our season has been that bad overall we’ve conceded less points and scored more than most. We’ve beaten everyone except Saints and we are 4 points off second. We have lost late in a number of games which could otherwise have seen us in second place.
We have done all this despite an horrendous injury list and in particular having our star half back and captain both out for virtually the entire season.
We are still in a position despite all that to make the playoffs. The assumption is that we won’t despite 3 games being against teams we have already beaten and the fourth against a team that will have nothing to gain from the result a week after they will have been in a cup final.
The teams around us, with the exception of Saints and a brilliantly achieving Salford side have nothing much to shout about. I would particularly point to the much lauded and very expensive Warrington team who will end up with nothing from this season other than perhaps a Man of Steel Award that was decided before the season began.
We are all disappointed. Powell has set a consistency standard unprecedented in the club’s history and it’s a fantastic compliment to him in a way that we will all be disappointed if we finish in the top 6 yet again. The reality is that it’s an incredible achievement and should put us in a good place with the well blooded youngsters who have learned the hard way this season, to be challenging again next year
If you want to say I’m amber tinted or some other ridiculous expression that gets used to put people in a box fair enough but remember it’s only a handful of weeks since a number of posters were gleefully predicting that we would by now be in a relegation fight.
Well we’ve done that before and in those seasons we could only dream of being in the position we are now

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 12 Aug 2019, 12:53

To the players who read this forum, please don't see this thread as an indictment of your ability or the large portion of us giving up on you.

The vast majority of us still believe in you to go and finish in the 5. The vast majority of us know you have it in you to win the games if you want it.

Please don't give up on the season because a few pessimists WANT you to fail so they can say I told you so. Whatever happen the real and true fans will stand with you. Prove the pessimists wrong, shove it back in their mouths and go get us to Old Trafford.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

Hepworth7
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Hepworth7 » 12 Aug 2019, 13:10

HuddsTigers wrote:To the players who read this forum, please don't see this thread as an indictment of your ability or the large portion of us giving up on you.

The vast majority of us still believe in you to go and finish in the 5. The vast majority of us know you have it in you to win the games if you want it.

Please don't give up on the season because a few pessimists WANT you to fail so they can say I told you so. Whatever happen the real and true fans will stand with you. Prove the pessimists wrong, shove it back in their mouths and go get us to Old Trafford.
Hear,Hear@ We fight to the end!

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 12 Aug 2019, 13:10

HuddsTigers wrote:To the players who read this forum, please don't see this thread as an indictment of your ability or the large portion of us giving up on you.

Do you think many visit daily ?
Audacter Et Sincere

Keithy
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Keithy » 12 Aug 2019, 13:46

Having watched Cas every season for the last 30 years I can honestly say that I still find this season a success.

I have watched some of our performances year in, year out where we have been so bad with our best 13 on the pitch that we have been constantly fighting relegation from the beginning to the end of each season. We tend to forget that it wasn't that long ago that as a club we nearly folded and our only saviour was Daryl Clark going to Warrington.

We now find ourselves fighting to get into the top 5 playoffs with a side that barely contains half of the starting line-up that we would be expecting to see. How refreshing it is to see a top 6 team regularly fighting to achieve a playoff position rather than a relegation position. We might not be seeing our best 17 on a regular basis but I take my hat off to those players who have been pulling on my teams colours.

I've seen enough of relegation rugby in my time down't lane and I've still got a smile on my face at where we are today.

Ronnie
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Ronnie » 12 Aug 2019, 13:49

Tamworth Tiger wrote:I find this thread really sad.
It reminds me of the feeling of entitlement there was in the 1970-71 season when the great cup era side started to fall apart and reaching the cup semi that year was seen as failure. The crowds fell really quickly that season and the suggestion from the posters here is that the same is happening
The facts as I’ve stated on this forum don’t back up that our season has been that bad overall we’ve conceded less points and scored more than most. We’ve beaten everyone except Saints and we are 4 points off second. We have lost late in a number of games which could otherwise have seen us in second place.
We have done all this despite an horrendous injury list and in particular having our star half back and captain both out for virtually the entire season.
We are still in a position despite all that to make the playoffs. The assumption is that we won’t despite 3 games being against teams we have already beaten and the fourth against a team that will have nothing to gain from the result a week after they will have been in a cup final.
The teams around us, with the exception of Saints and a brilliantly achieving Salford side have nothing much to shout about. I would particularly point to the much lauded and very expensive Warrington team who will end up with nothing from this season other than perhaps a Man of Steel Award that was decided before the season began.
We are all disappointed. Powell has set a consistency standard unprecedented in the club’s history and it’s a fantastic compliment to him in a way that we will all be disappointed if we finish in the top 6 yet again. The reality is that it’s an incredible achievement and should put us in a good place with the well blooded youngsters who have learned the hard way this season, to be challenging again next year
If you want to say I’m amber tinted or some other ridiculous expression that gets used to put people in a box fair enough but remember it’s only a handful of weeks since a number of posters were gleefully predicting that we would by now be in a relegation fight.
Well we’ve done that before and in those seasons we could only dream of being in the position we are now
If there was an award for post of the year, this is right up there. I don't often Post on the forum, but had to reply to this. This is a complete (and positive spin), on where we are as a club and clearly shows the level of expectation that we all (well the majority anyway) feel that we should be at - that surely is down to how well the club have done.. no?. A few years back, we would be snappy anyone's hands off to be in the regular position we are in now, but to some it's a disaster and we are failing as a club. Yes, of course we can say we didn't build on 2017, and I for one agree, but come on, with what we have had to get over and not being able to put the same team out week in and week out, then I think we have done amazing. You will get the odd club here and there over achieving (Salford this year), but I am still proud of what we have done and like Tamworth Tiger says, we could have been sitting in 2nd place if with a bit of luck and better game management !!

flow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by flow » 12 Aug 2019, 15:22

Ronnie wrote:
If there was an award for post of the year, this is right up there. I don't often Post on the forum, but had to reply to this. This is a complete (and positive spin), on where we are as a club and clearly shows the level of expectation that we all (well the majority anyway) feel that we should be at - that surely is down to how well the club have done.. no?. A few years back, we would be snappy anyone's hands off to be in the regular position we are in now, but to some it's a disaster and we are failing as a club. Yes, of course we can say we didn't build on 2017, and I for one agree, but come on, with what we have had to get over and not being able to put the same team out week in and week out, then I think we have done amazing. You will get the odd club here and there over achieving (Salford this year), but I am still proud of what we have done and like Tamworth Tiger says, we could have been sitting in 2nd place if with a bit of luck and better game management !!
I agree very good post but don't take away from the fact people have voted with there feet must be some thing a miss at the club. can't take many seasons with poor crowds financially with having no sugar daddy any more. One off biggest mistakes was probably not given Zak another chance and not recruiting another half back when we new Gail was out for season. We have had to dig deep this year for sure, and hats off to them players who have. But a bit better off field planning by management we would still be up there maybe 2nd or 3rd

The Fox
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by The Fox » 12 Aug 2019, 15:52

flow wrote:
Ronnie wrote:
I agree very good post but don't take away from the fact people have voted with there feet must be some thing a miss at the club. can't take many seasons with poor crowds financially with having no sugar daddy any more. One off biggest mistakes was probably not given Zak another chance and not recruiting another half back when we new Gail was out for season. We have had to dig deep this year for sure, and hats off to them players who have. But a bit better off field planning by management we would still be up there maybe 2nd or 3rd
The most disappointing aspect of this season, for me anyway, has to be the 4 points dropped against Leeds. Not only would these 4 points have put us up to equal 2nd place, it would also have Leeds equal bottom!!

Juscas
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Juscas » 12 Aug 2019, 16:10

Whilst I hoped for more this year I can live with the position we are in.whats disappointed me more is our style of play throughout the entire season even when winning we have been negative and very boring to watch.maybe that’s how rugby league as a whole is going but entertainment has been in short supply at the jungle this year.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 12 Aug 2019, 16:32

There's being some good performances we've had injurys the players havnt looked like there enjoying it much Saturdays performance was garbage simples
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Sharlotiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Sharlotiger » 12 Aug 2019, 17:22

The players don't look like they have enjoyed the style of rugby we have been playing for the past 2 seasons, with Powells rigid playing by numbers style they seem as bored as us that are watching.
After being so royally entertained from DP coming in from 2013 what the hell as happened to us, we look scared to death to try anything.

duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by duke street 10 » 12 Aug 2019, 19:06

I don't think we will make the 5. The loss of Gale, The mysterious goings on in Lanzorote (which in my opinion has effected morale & team spirit) the continuing full back problem, the loss of attacking flair and our complete lack of nous to close out tight games has led me to think this.

I hope they prove me wrong mind, but it would take a real upturn in performances in the next 4 games...and even our coach has said this year we have been consistent in being inconsistent !

flow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by flow » 13 Aug 2019, 09:46

duke street 10 wrote:I don't think we will make the 5. The loss of Gale, The mysterious goings on in Lanzorote (which in my opinion has effected morale & team spirit) the continuing full back problem, the loss of attacking flair and our complete lack of nous to close out tight games has led me to think this.

I hope they prove me wrong mind, but it would take a real upturn in performances in the next 4 games...and even our coach has said this year we have been consistent in being inconsistent !
Do people think we will make the five next year with alot off teams recruiting well. My view all depends on gale and probably signing another centre that will make feki a worth while signing can't see Shenton making every game and if Blair don't improve. Think we probaly be OK in forwards . So if gale is back to is best and the back line improve double to wants it's being this year we will be challenging for top five if not could be a nervous season hanging in bottom half.

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 13 Aug 2019, 10:18

Ive said it before, rebuilding should start now, some senior pros might have to go.

Whatever happens if they do not turn around and say they have identified the vital areas that we need addressing will be focussed on and we'll be active in the marketplace I will not be buying a ST for me or my two young sons.

They're right at the age they could be lost to football and and spending 600+ on gear and tickets could be money spent on more entertaining activities

It's awful to see them being distracted because the club have taken their eye off the ball and left us with a sub standard brand of rugby and roster. We need at least 3 excellent signings.

I appreciate it sounds harsh but, that's exactly the approach we need from wells and Powell. The purse strings needs some loosening it possible.
Audacter Et Sincere

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 13 Aug 2019, 13:08

If we make the 5 it will have man we beat 2 of 3 teams above us, which should give us impetus.

With some players back from injury and playing like when we beat wire recently, no reason we can't make OT.. Lots of its and buts though and a fair bit of luck.

Sharlotiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Sharlotiger » 13 Aug 2019, 13:14

mart0042 wrote:If we make the 5 it will have man we beat 2 of 3 teams above us, which should give us impetus.

With some players back from injury and playing like when we beat wire recently, no reason we can't make OT.. Lots of its and buts though and a fair bit of luck.
Lol.....