Joe Westerman

Players in ... Players out. Got a rumour? Post it in here.
tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Re: Joe weatherman

Post by tigerfeat » 18 May 2019, 10:01

Matautia
Olpherts
Blair
Shenny
Eden
Truey
Gale
Wattsy
Mcshane
Millington
Sene lafao
Mcmeeken
Westerman
Strong side for me that...
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

dude
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by dude » 18 May 2019, 10:11

The Firm wrote:I’ve also heard the Westerman to us rumour. Not sure how i feel about it to be honest, good player yes but still now even after all these years by all accounts his attitude to training etc isn’t always the best. If though he wants to finally fully grow up and make the best of his career then it could be a shrewd move if the price is right.
Might have seen how coming to cas has paid off for his mate watts. Good signing for me if true

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 18 May 2019, 10:16

If we sign him, we have to play him as a wide player like he did when he first came through. He was much more of a dangerous runner there.

Could give us some quality and dangerous back rows on either side. It would probably see Jesse moving to prop to cover for the Clark loss too IMO.

Mata’utia, Olpherts, Blair, Shenton, Eden, Trueman, Gale, Watts, McShane, Jesse, McMeeken, Westerman, Massey

Cook, Moors, Millington, Smith/Milner/Foster
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 18 May 2019, 10:19

Bolton-tiger wrote:
TheSheriff wrote:Hull FC did/do want to keep him BUT he's asked for silly money, they wanted Minikin too who also asked them for daft money.
So if thats true then what are we offering him because he wouldnt come to us for less money so again why are we OVER PAYING for players (if this is true that is)
Silly money doesn’t equate to overpaying him.

If he wants £100k, Hull offer £70k, it could mean we have offered a deal that’s £75k.

Doesn’t mean he’s got the deal he’s wanted, doesn’t mean we have offered silly money. Just means we offered the best deal available potentially.

TheSheriff
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TheSheriff » 18 May 2019, 10:55

HuddsTigers wrote:
Bolton-tiger wrote:
TheSheriff wrote:Hull FC did/do want to keep him BUT he's asked for silly money, they wanted Minikin too who also asked them for daft money.
So if thats true then what are we offering him because he wouldnt come to us for less money so again why are we OVER PAYING for players (if this is true that is)
Silly money doesn’t equate to overpaying him.

If he wants £100k, Hull offer £70k, it could mean we have offered a deal that’s £75k.

Doesn’t mean he’s got the deal he’s wanted, doesn’t mean we have offered silly money. Just means we offered the best deal available potentially.
Something like this is the most likely situation.

He took a huge pay cut to go back to Hull, now he's had a decent season he wants something more like he's got the rest of his career, he isn't going to get that but Cas could be happy offering him more than Hull are.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 18 May 2019, 10:55

For me, he improves our first choice 17, but he’d change our style a bit.
Powell has tended to play Masssey and Milner as loose forwards who more or less do the role of another prop. Westerman isn’t that kind of player, so not sure where it leaves those two.
We’d certainly have some ball-playing ability in the forwards with:
P - Watts.
H - McShane
P - Millington
SR - McMeeken
SR - JSL.
LF - Westerman.

With Moors, Cook and Smith as other props and Foster, Holmes and Milner as back-rowers (plus Peachy) and Clarkson if he stays (I’m not sure he will). O’Neill as a back-up hooker too.

There wouldn’t be many squads with a group of forwards as strong as that.

Casmoley
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Casmoley » 18 May 2019, 11:02

HuddsTigers wrote:If we sign him, we have to play him as a wide player like he did when he first came through. He was much more of a dangerous runner there.

Could give us some quality and dangerous back rows on either side. It would probably see Jesse moving to prop to cover for the Clark loss too IMO.

Mata’utia, Olpherts, Blair, Shenton, Eden, Trueman, Gale, Watts, McShane, Jesse, McMeeken, Westerman, Massey

Everyone on here says Jesse is better out wide so you put him at prop lol

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 18 May 2019, 11:14

Everybody saw you lose all the effectiveness of Jesse when he was tried at prop him on one side mike on other westy at 13 be best back row in league I would imagine
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 18 May 2019, 11:18

Casmoley wrote:
HuddsTigers wrote:If we sign him, we have to play him as a wide player like he did when he first came through. He was much more of a dangerous runner there.

With Millo and Moors’ age we don’t have any energy in the middle of the pitch. Jesse offers that and also a bit of an offloading game too. People say he’s better out wide but for me Leeds last week has been the only real game (and London maybe) where he’s done any real damage this season in that position.

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 18 May 2019, 11:28

HuddsTigers wrote:
Casmoley wrote:

With Millo and Moors’ age we don’t have any energy in the middle of the pitch. Jesse offers that and also a bit of an offloading game too. People say he’s better out wide but for me Leeds last week has been the only real game (and London maybe) where he’s done any real damage this season in that position.
Go back and watch the games from 2017, his best season was when he was played out wide. He then got put in the middle, got knocked about then had a poor end of the year.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 18 May 2019, 11:38

I can also remember games like Wigan away where he was just as dangerous at prop.

It’s good that we have the flexibility to be able to have these discussions. If you put Westy at 13 it means Massey being moved to prop or left out. I don’t like Westy as a middle - he was a better wide player but I guess his game has developed too since then.

There’s not many props on the open market of a decent calibre in this country so it’s a short term solution until we can free up cap space the following season. Jesse is enthusiastic and a nuisance, which can help us tire opposition forwards in the middle.

Swagger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Swagger » 18 May 2019, 14:44

Any truth in this? Not sure what to make of it. For me he's a decent player but not at the level where he used to be. If he can get back to that then for sure he will make a great Loose. Along with Jesse and Mcmeeken that could be the scariest back row in the league. IF he gets back to his best.

chief193
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by chief193 » 18 May 2019, 17:39

As far as I know Massey is tied up for next year anyway so would be in the squad. If you bring in westy as a loose then doesn’t Massey move to prop?

Watts
Millo
Cook
Smith
Massey
JR

Looks ok to me.

would any of Westy’s wage be offset due to him being academy trained with us ???

Casmoley
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Casmoley » 18 May 2019, 17:58

chief193 wrote:As far as I know Massey is tied up for next year anyway so would be in the squad. If you bring in westy as a loose then doesn’t Massey move to prop?

Watts
Millo
Cook
Smith
Massey
JR

Looks ok to me.

would any of Westy’s wage be offset due to him being academy trained with us ???

Competition for places! Loose forward is now massey or milner wether they are brill or rubbish.

SREGITSAC
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by SREGITSAC » 18 May 2019, 18:41

chief193 wrote:As far as I know Massey is tied up for next year anyway so would be in the squad. If you bring in westy as a loose then doesn’t Massey move to prop?

Watts
Millo
Cook
Smith
Massey
JR

Looks ok to me.

Massey signed until end of 2021 in March this year

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 18 May 2019, 18:43

Watts
Millo
Cook
Smith
Massey
JR

Looks ok to me.

Wasn’t JR a character in a cheesy American 80s TV show (OCL could confirm). I think only £5,000 per academy trained player can be offset and he would count

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 18 May 2019, 19:15

Fumper27 wrote:

Watts
Millo
Cook
Smith
Massey
JR

Looks ok to me.

Wasn’t JR a character in a cheesy American 80s TV show (OCL could confirm). I think only £5,000 per academy trained player can be offset and he would count
JR Ewing. Dallas, never missed an episode.

ERG2012
League One Player
League One Player

Post by ERG2012 » 18 May 2019, 19:44

Will Millo actually be here next year?
Maybe Westy is Grants replacement due to him hanging up the boots

Mucky1978
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mucky1978 » 18 May 2019, 20:30

Signing announced in league express tomorrow

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 18 May 2019, 21:04

Mucky1978 wrote:Signing announced in league express tomorrow
Signing as in Joe signing for Cas OR
Signing as in Joe signed for someone else??