Who else do we need?

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Re: Who else do we need?

Post by Fumper27 » 15 Apr 2019, 12:47

tigerfeat wrote:
Sharlotiger wrote:I can't see us getting up there with Saints or Wire anytime in the near future. We can bring in the odd player as big earners finish but until we take our youth structure seriously and are able to bring in the top juniors and develop them we will always be behind the top sides who can produce quality youngsters.
Hopefully we can attract better quality kids once we get a new ground and training facilities that are appropriate for professional sports team.
How many players in the current warrington starting 17 came through there youth system ?
From Fridays game:
Cooper
Patton
King
Philbin
Currie

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 15 Apr 2019, 12:51

Yeah that's a good return didn't think a couple of them came from there youth system
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 15 Apr 2019, 12:54

derbystiger wrote:
Sharlotiger wrote:I can't see us getting up there with Saints or Wire anytime in the near future. We can bring in the odd player as big earners finish but until we take our youth structure seriously and are able to bring in the top juniors and develop them we will always be behind the top sides who can produce quality youngsters.
Hopefully we can attract better quality kids once we get a new ground and training facilities that are appropriate for professional sports team.
Is it that we can’t attract quality youngsters or is it how we treat our youngsters that makes them go elsewhere??
It will always be a combination of factors. Players will look at best chance of progressing to the first team but ultimately most will always follow the sniff of money, education, coaching prospects, wellbeing and coaching, as well as facilities.

For us, we have to try and pay more and even then it may not be good enough because we fall down on the other areas. Leeds for example can partner with colleges and have 3 unis on their doorstep. We're behind big city clubs in this regard.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

Sharlotiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Sharlotiger » 15 Apr 2019, 12:55

Fumper27 wrote:
tigerfeat wrote:
How many players in the current warrington starting 17 came through there youth system ?
From Fridays game:
Cooper
Patton
King
Philbin
Currie
Add to that the very talented Harvey Livett. The question is why are the top rated juniors this side of the Pennines preferring to join Wire and we are not in the hunt? I'm sure not only better pay but top class coaching and excellent facilities must play a huge part in these young lads decisions.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 15 Apr 2019, 12:58

I was just going to say to the post before it's not just about money and facilities I'm sure there a factor but we don't give the young players much of a chance young gill a perfect example
Vince Lombardi

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 15 Apr 2019, 13:34

It seems like a good success rate but Cooper came through in 2006. So in the past 13 years, Warrington have managed to bring through a total of 5/6 homegrown first team players? That's abysmal for me. Only one other I can name from Warrington is Kevin Penny. Are there any more? I'm sure there may be but only in the Championship.

In the same timeframe we've brought through:

James Clare
Greg Eden
Daryl Clark
Joe Westerman
Oli Holmes
Adam Milner
Nathan Massey
Tom Holmes
Jordan Thompson
Joe Arundel
Ben Reynolds

Plus people like Matty Dawson and Liam Watts who started out in the Cas academy, who are all at SL clubs.

Plus likes of Maher, Gill, Turner, and Jacques O'Neill who have all made their debuts for us. I actually don't think we're bad. If anything it reflects badly on Warrington that they spend on short-term than invest in youth in their own area, especially when Widnes are putting them to shame in this regard up the road.

drleftie
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by drleftie » 15 Apr 2019, 13:46

KB80 wrote:Potentially a top class winger and Gale back.

Alternatively (and a bit controversial), another full back. I like Peanut as a player but aren't entirely sure that he suits Powells/our recent style.

We've played a best rugby with Dorn or Hardaker at full back. Both are/were extremely quick, athletic and inteligent attacking players. Imo our attack has looked stunted since Hardakers ban (Gales injuries have obviously contributed). Peanut undoudetly is probably our best current option at full back and certainly a player with a place in the team but....

A back line of:
New Full back, Blair, Peanut, Shenton, Eden would be extremely interesting (maybe even Rankin at full back could be worth a shout, half backs permitting).

Been saying the same. Matautia is solid & does well in the role of a traditional fb but we looked much better with Dorn & Hardaker.

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 15 Apr 2019, 13:51

HuddsTigers wrote:It seems like a good success rate but Cooper came through in 2006. So in the past 13 years, Warrington have managed to bring through a total of 5/6 homegrown first team players? That's abysmal for me. Only one other I can name from Warrington is Kevin Penny. Are there any more? I'm sure there may be but only in the Championship.

James Clare
Greg Eden
Daryl Clark
Joe Westerman
Oli Holmes
Adam Milner
Nathan Massey
Tom Holmes
Jordan Thompson
Joe Arundel
Ben Reynolds

Plus people like Matty Dawson and Liam Watts who started out in the Cas academy, who are all at SL clubs.

Plus likes of Maher, Gill, Turner, and Jacques O'Neill who have all made their debuts for us. I actually don't think we're bad. If anything it reflects badly on Warrington that they spend on short-term than invest in youth in their own area, especially when Widnes are putting them to shame in this regard up the road.
Plenty knocking about in the lower leagues too. Richie Owen, John Davies, Ryan Brierley etc.

flow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by flow » 15 Apr 2019, 14:10

The castleford junior coach pointed out the other day , theys not as many kids playing in the cas district as they used to be .Less to pick from

Sharlotiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Sharlotiger » 15 Apr 2019, 14:12

heritage1926 wrote:
HuddsTigers wrote:It seems like a good success rate but Cooper came through in 2006. So in the past 13 years, Warrington have managed to bring through a total of 5/6 homegrown first team players? That's abysmal for me. Only one other I can name from Warrington is Kevin Penny. Are there any more? I'm sure there may be but only in the Championship.

James Clare
Greg Eden
Daryl Clark
Joe Westerman
Oli Holmes
Adam Milner
Nathan Massey
Tom Holmes
Jordan Thompson
Joe Arundel
Ben Reynolds

Plenty knocking about in the lower leagues too. Richie Owen, John Davies, Ryan Brierley etc.
How many have come through on Powells watch that have gone on to be SL regulars either with us or elsewhere?

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 15 Apr 2019, 14:18

Powell relys on players who have been around the block a bit got super league experience rarther than risking a young fella who will make mistakes unless it's a talent like trueman who all ready at his young age is a top defender not saying it's right or wrong just the way he's done things at cas
Vince Lombardi

MrRugby123
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by MrRugby123 » 15 Apr 2019, 14:21

flow wrote:The castleford junior coach pointed out the other day , theys not as many kids playing in the cas district as they used to be .Less to pick from
As we don’t pay as much for the kids to play in our academy we don’t really get the best of the players. The best players are cherry picked by teams like Leeds, Wigan, wire and saints and that’s why they have a good success rate of kids coming through the academy. A lot of luck is involved in kids coming through your academy such as when we was poor a few years back so we could pick players like oggi Holmes, daz clark and Adam Milner but now we have a bigger squad they have a lot less chance of coming through. The latest junior player that was rated highly at our club was Callum mclelland and his opportunity didn’t come because of Jake Trueman who had one year at our academy and then progressed into the first team.

bane73
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by bane73 » 15 Apr 2019, 14:32

I think minns will also be brought In, could be wrong.
what doesn't kill me simply makes me...stranger.

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 15 Apr 2019, 15:10

MrRugby123 wrote:
flow wrote:The castleford junior coach pointed out the other day , theys not as many kids playing in the cas district as they used to be .Less to pick from
As we don’t pay as much for the kids to play in our academy we don’t really get the best of the players. The best players are cherry picked by teams like Leeds, Wigan, wire and saints and that’s why they have a good success rate of kids coming through the academy. A lot of luck is involved in kids coming through your academy such as when we was poor a few years back so we could pick players like oggi Holmes, daz clark and Adam Milner but now we have a bigger squad they have a lot less chance of coming through. The latest junior player that was rated highly at our club was Callum mclelland and his opportunity didn’t come because of Jake Trueman who had one year at our academy and then progressed into the first team.
Good on us too! IMO academy players should be on basic pay, should be made to do courses and workshops etc to help their academic too. They need to be kept grounded. Too many kids become something their not when money and the lure of a professional contract are branded about.

MrRugby123
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by MrRugby123 » 15 Apr 2019, 15:42

Totally agree heritage1926 but at any age it’s money what talks. Say cas was offering someone £3000 for the year and then Leeds offered £5000 they’d take the Leeds offer.

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 15 Apr 2019, 15:51

old cas lass wrote:
derbystiger wrote:
TiGR wrote: Where do we think we are money-wise now?
Back up to the cap? Gales dispensation money also gone on Blair?
I think we should still have Gales dispensation available if we can afford/want to use it. Roberts money should be paying for Blair I would reckon?

I have a feeling the gale money won’t be used.
I think the club are holding on to him playing some part at the end of the season.
heard rumours he could be back for august. would be nice.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

classycas57
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by classycas57 » 15 Apr 2019, 16:01

We need a top class winger now for sure. Clare is ok for backup odd game. Peanut needs to go back to full back turner not ready yet.im also not convinced that Truman is ready yet either.im annoyed that cas thought they could once again go through season without forking out for a centre having failed to learn a valuable lesson with the full back situation last year.

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 15 Apr 2019, 16:06

wonder if blair could recommend a good winger to play alongside him.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 15 Apr 2019, 16:09

lurcher wrote:wonder if blair could recommend a good winger to play alongside him.
Either of the two that his ex team use would be nice ;)
Vince Lombardi

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 15 Apr 2019, 18:02

Sharlotiger wrote: How many have come through on Powells watch that have gone on to be SL regulars either with us or elsewhere?
Wouldn't like to guess at 2012/2013 when he took over as some may have been at the club before (e.g. Charlie Martin/Dan Fleming)

But after that we've had these all part of the first team squad:
* Ash Robson (York)
* Will Maher (Cas)
* Tom Holmes (Huddersfield)
* Brandon Moore (Halifax)
* Jordan Howden (Doncaster)
* Brandon Douglas (Doncaster)
* Brad England (Doncaster)
* Kieran Gill (Cas)
* Brandon Westerman (Unattached)
* Conor Fitzsimmons (Newcastle)
* Luke Million (Keighley)

Plus Jacques O'Neill, Turner, Storey and Carr. Don't know of any other ones in academy that have gone on to other clubs