Who else do we need?

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
MrRugby123
Academy Player
Academy Player

Who else do we need?

Post by MrRugby123 » 14 Apr 2019, 20:58

The squad is coming on nicely now but who else do you think we need realistically so that we could be challenging with the likes of Saints and wire?

RonnieGibbs'forearm
League One Player
League One Player

Re: Who else do we need?

Post by RonnieGibbs'forearm » 14 Apr 2019, 21:09

MrRugby123 wrote:The squad is coming on nicely now but who else do you think we need realistically so that we could be challenging with the likes of Saints and wire?
Another top class winger. Preferably a unit like a Fonua type.
A Millo replacement or 2.
I am still not convinced we are set at half back. Will Teueman complement Gale? I worry we will lack spark and be too one dimensional. A Benny Roberts type in his far too infrequent pomp would be ideal.

KB80
League One Player
League One Player

Post by KB80 » 14 Apr 2019, 21:12

Potentially a top class winger and Gale back.

Alternatively (and a bit controversial), another full back. I like Peanut as a player but aren't entirely sure that he suits Powells/our recent style.

We've played a best rugby with Dorn or Hardaker at full back. Both are/were extremely quick, athletic and inteligent attacking players. Imo our attack has looked stunted since Hardakers ban (Gales injuries have obviously contributed). Peanut undoudetly is probably our best current option at full back and certainly a player with a place in the team but....

A back line of:
New Full back, Blair, Peanut, Shenton, Eden would be extremely interesting (maybe even Rankin at full back could be worth a shout, half backs permitting).

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 14 Apr 2019, 21:13

Tricky one. When both halves are fit, there won’t be many pairings better than Gale and Trueman. But Jackson Hastings is a real talent, out of contract and might not get an offer from the NRL. But we saw what happened at Salford when they signed three out and out half backs - you can’t play 3 and rotating a half back combination isn’t great either. Can Hastings play as a creative 13?
If Minikin goes, we’ll need a winger. I just don’t think James Clare is quite up to standard as a first choice player.

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 14 Apr 2019, 21:27

Realistically, we now need to be doing some scouting over here and abroad for a replacement for When Millington calls it a day. We have to replace him with someone like for like that compliments Watts. That's the biggest test Cas have in the next few years. Players like Millington are once in a blue moon. You don't often get Aussies come over and buy in to a club like he has and play the game the way he does.

Casmoley
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Casmoley » 14 Apr 2019, 21:29

A class winger outside Blair.

Next two years is vital in the props. Cook, Millo and Junior maximum 2 seasons left in them. With Maher going this year (surely) we need at least one prop in next year. Then one the year after with Lewis Peachey coming in.

In 2 years it would be Watts, Clark, Peachey, Smith and 2 / 3 additional forwards.

Back row and Loose sorted for foreseeable future Fozz, Holmes, Meeks, Milner, Massey, Jesse.

Hooker McShane O'Neil

Halves Gale and Truey with Rankin or Ellis back up.

Full Back Peter And Turner.

Centre Shenny 2/3 years max, Cheyse, Robbie storey and would like another if Minikin and Egodo leave.

Wing. Eden, Carr in a few years. Clare back up. Need a class winger outside Cheyse.
Last edited by Casmoley on 14 Apr 2019, 21:32, edited 1 time in total.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 14 Apr 2019, 21:29

heritage1926 wrote:Realistically, we now need to be doing some scouting over here and abroad for a replacement for When Millington calls it a day. We have to replace him with someone like for like that compliments Watts. That's the biggest test Cas have in the next few years. Players like Millington are once in a blue moon. You don't often get Aussies come over and buy in to a club like he has and play the game the way he does.
Fifita? I’m pretty sure he’ll stay at Wakefield, but I’d love him in our pack.

RonnieGibbs'forearm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by RonnieGibbs'forearm » 14 Apr 2019, 21:30

nottinghamtiger wrote:Tricky one. When both halves are fit, there won’t be many pairings better than Gale and Trueman. But Jackson Hastings is a real talent, out of contract and might not get an offer from the NRL. But we saw what happened at Salford when they signed three out and out half backs - you can’t play 3 and rotating a half back combination isn’t great either. Can Hastings play as a creative 13?
If Minikin goes, we’ll need a winger. I just don’t think James Clare is quite up to standard as a first choice player.
Hastings style player would be perfect. Clare has had a shaky start to season. Decent squad player but not 1st choice.

RonnieGibbs'forearm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by RonnieGibbs'forearm » 14 Apr 2019, 21:33

KB80 wrote:Potentially a top class winger and Gale back.

Alternatively (and a bit controversial), another full back. I like Peanut as a player but aren't entirely sure that he suits Powells/our recent style.

We've played a best rugby with Dorn or Hardaker at full back. Both are/were extremely quick, athletic and inteligent attacking players. Imo our attack has looked stunted since Hardakers ban (Gales injuries have obviously contributed). Peanut undoudetly is probably our best current option at full back and certainly a player with a place in the team but....

A back line of:
New Full back, Blair, Peanut, Shenton, Eden would be extremely interesting (maybe even Rankin at full back could be worth a shout, half backs permitting).
Hard to be critical about Matautia but I get what you mean. Will hold judgement until we get everyone back and see how combinations look with some proper time to gel.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 14 Apr 2019, 22:06

Casmoley wrote:A class winger outside Blair.

Next two years is vital in the props. Cook, Millo and Junior maximum 2 seasons left in them. With Maher going this year (surely) we need at least one prop in next year. Then one the year after with Lewis Peachey coming in.

In 2 years it would be Watts, Clark, Peachey, Smith and 2 / 3 additional forwards.

Back row and Loose sorted for foreseeable future Fozz, Holmes, Meeks, Milner, Massey, Jesse.

Hooker McShane O'Neil

Centre Shenny 2/3 years max, Cheyse, Robbie storey and would like another if Minikin and Egodo leave.

Wing. Eden, Carr in a few years. Clare back up. Need a class winger outside Cheyse.
Agree we need to get the right wing partner for cheyse Blair the important signing was Blair it showed the intent of the club which id questioned
We get the right winger in and get luke gale back we don't have to do much else obviously we will be looking at another forward as well in time but I'm happy where were at now
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 14 Apr 2019, 22:15

tigerfeat wrote:
Casmoley wrote:A class winger outside Blair.

Hooker McShane O'Neil

Agree we need to get the right wing partner for cheyse Blair the important signing was Blair it showed the intent of the club which id questioned
We get the right winger in and get luke gale back we don't have to do much else obviously we will be looking at another forward as well in time but I'm happy where were at now
I suspect we’ll see Shenton move over to the right. That side needs some more defensive steel and Blair is more of an attacking centre, so might go better on the left. Might not happen this year, but I can see it in 2020.
Also important to remember that we have a full complement of non-fed players now. If we sign another, we’ll have to let someone go (one of Millington, JSL, Clark, Moors, Rankin, Mata’utia and now Blair).
In terms of the right wing, if we let Rankin go I’d be looking at Sandor Earl. That’s if we can’t get Hastings or Fifita for that non-fed spot.

Casmoley
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Casmoley » 14 Apr 2019, 22:20

I would suspect if we keep Rankin we get a young English forward next year, then year after Millo and Junior retire we could look at a Aussie prop/ winger / centre.

TiGR

Post by TiGR » 15 Apr 2019, 08:57

Think Casmoley pretty much nailed it for me.

Where do we think we are money-wise now?
Back up to the cap? Gales dispensation money also gone on Blair?

I don't reckon we'll see any more new signings this term, but there's a few renewals and a few releases to be dealt with. Hope we've got a better succession plan for some of the senior players than we had for Webbo.

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 15 Apr 2019, 11:16

Mata'tiua
Minikin
Blair
Shenton
Eden
Trueman
Gale
Watts
McShane
Millington
Sene-Lefao
McMeekan
Milner
Massey
Moors
Cook
Clark
Foster
Holmes
Ellis
Egodo
Turner
O'Neill
Peachey
Storey
Carr

Maher - Offload
Aston - Offload
Clare - Offload
Gill - I believe wants to leave

Offload the above mentioned, use money for 1/2 signings.

derbystiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by derbystiger » 15 Apr 2019, 12:13

TiGR wrote: Where do we think we are money-wise now?
I think we should still have Gales dispensation available if we can afford/want to use it. Roberts money should be paying for Blair I would reckon?

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 15 Apr 2019, 12:32

derbystiger wrote:
I think we should still have Gales dispensation available if we can afford/want to use it. Roberts money should be paying for Blair I would reckon?

I have a feeling the gale money won’t be used.
I think the club are holding on to him playing some part at the end of the season.

derbystiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by derbystiger » 15 Apr 2019, 12:37

old cas lass wrote:
derbystiger wrote:

I have a feeling the gale money won’t be used.
I think the club are holding on to him playing some part at the end of the season.
I have the same feeling to be honest, although I don’t know if I agree with him coming back before next season. Could do more harm than good, but only the player and medical staff can make that decision I suppose.

Sharlotiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Sharlotiger » 15 Apr 2019, 12:41

I can't see us getting up there with Saints or Wire anytime in the near future. We can bring in the odd player as big earners finish but until we take our youth structure seriously and are able to bring in the top juniors and develop them we will always be behind the top sides who can produce quality youngsters.
Hopefully we can attract better quality kids once we get a new ground and training facilities that are appropriate for professional sports team.

derbystiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by derbystiger » 15 Apr 2019, 12:42

Sharlotiger wrote:I can't see us getting up there with Saints or Wire anytime in the near future. We can bring in the odd player as big earners finish but until we take our youth structure seriously and are able to bring in the top juniors and develop them we will always be behind the top sides who can produce quality youngsters.
Hopefully we can attract better quality kids once we get a new ground and training facilities that are appropriate for professional sports team.
Is it that we can’t attract quality youngsters or is it how we treat our youngsters that makes them go elsewhere??

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 15 Apr 2019, 12:46

Sharlotiger wrote:I can't see us getting up there with Saints or Wire anytime in the near future. We can bring in the odd player as big earners finish but until we take our youth structure seriously and are able to bring in the top juniors and develop them we will always be behind the top sides who can produce quality youngsters.
How many players in the current warrington starting 17 came through there youth system ?
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi