New players for next season?

Players in ... Players out. Got a rumour? Post it in here.
HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Re: New players for next season?

Post by HuddsTigers » 07 Oct 2018, 15:19

Mysterio wrote:If we spend up to the cap, and we are making a profit, and the stadium looks on target, is it time to consider a marquee signing who could have maybe broken up the game for us ?

A middle man or a centre?
You still need £120,000 spare on the cap for a marquee signing. They aren’t totally exempt.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 07 Oct 2018, 18:23

Hope we secure trueman on a long deal sometime next season all ready other clubs will be casting a envious eye on him
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 07 Oct 2018, 18:35

He’s contracted until the end of 2020. Anything could happen between now and then and for me next season is pivotal in terms of recruitment. That’s the priority for me.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 07 Oct 2018, 18:45

Wouldn't you offer him a longer contract now then if you could ?
Vince Lombardi

classysupercas3
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by classysupercas3 » 07 Oct 2018, 19:10

Like been said all players contracted and we near salary cap.we need a minimum good centre signed probally 2.we are extremely weak in that position. For me try to do a deal with some of our underperforming players if it's the only option but bad management once again from the club if they don't or can't sign a centre.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 07 Oct 2018, 19:51

tigerfeat wrote:Wouldn't you offer him a longer contract now then if you could ?
I’d look at where we are with recruitment next season and what we do with those off contract and replacing them before renewals.

We can offer Trueman a new deal starting 2021 on increased pay then.

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 07 Oct 2018, 20:08

HuddsTigers wrote:
Mysterio wrote:If we spend up to the cap, and we are making a profit, and the stadium looks on target, is it time to consider a marquee signing who could have maybe broken up the game for us ?

You still need £120,000 spare on the cap for a marquee signing. They aren’t totally exempt.
I dare say we’d relatively easily achieve it, Webster alone must be on more than half of that amount?
Audacter Et Sincere

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 07 Oct 2018, 23:16

Mysterio wrote:
HuddsTigers wrote:

I dare say we’d relatively easily achieve it, Webster alone must be on more than half of that amount?
That salary will already be accounted for with the increased contracts handed out this season for the likes of Milner. You can’t focus on just those going out but also who has had their contract renewed this season that will start in November.

Tigerman2014
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tigerman2014 » 07 Oct 2018, 23:19

We must have some space for a quality back, why would we leave a quota space free and let JY go ?!?

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 08 Oct 2018, 07:31

I had Milner in my dream team but to drop balls cold in big games takes the life out of you
A player id like if it was fantasy rugby is evalds think he would go to a different level again too if he came to cas
Vince Lombardi

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 08 Oct 2018, 08:20

Tigerman2014 wrote:We must have some space for a quality back, why would we leave a quota space free and let JY go ?!?
The same reason we do every season. Buffer in case we get injuries and need to recruit someone extra mid-season. You can’t do this before the season starts as it may be in a position you don’t expect.

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 08 Oct 2018, 08:41

Tigerman2014 wrote:We must have some space for a quality back, why would we leave a quota space free and let JY go ?!?
You would hope so otherwise there are some people on money they don't deserve to be on

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 08 Oct 2018, 10:45

HuddsTigers wrote:
Mysterio wrote:
HuddsTigers wrote:

That salary will already be accounted for with the increased contracts handed out this season for the likes of Milner. You can’t focus on just those going out but also who has had their contract renewed this season that will start in November.
A few posts ago you mention recruitment being paramount to you, but in raising these points you’re effecfively waving the white flag, for even ‘good’ recruitment 2019 at least anyway.

Unless you know something I don’t.

Or, unless you’re disagreeing for disagreeing’s sake :roll: :D
Audacter Et Sincere

laner
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by laner » 08 Oct 2018, 12:44

How about exchanging Springer for the Toulouse centre Centrone

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 08 Oct 2018, 18:05

Mysterio wrote:
HuddsTigers wrote:
Mysterio wrote:
HuddsTigers wrote:

A few posts ago you mention recruitment being paramount to you, but in raising these points you’re effecfively waving the white flag, for even ‘good’ recruitment 2019 at least anyway.

Unless you know something I don’t.

Or, unless you’re disagreeing for disagreeing’s sake :roll: :D

We are upto the cap for next season barring some money spare for a squad player - this was said about a month back by another poster on here. We have no room to manoeuvre other than that. Planning for the next season started as soon as Jan/Feb 2018, so we will already have known where we need to make savings and/or what money we have to play around.

As such, the money from releasing players such as Webbo will already have been swallowed up to accommodate those new contracts and deals for players we've signed up such as Milner, whose values will have increased as a result of demand in their services and also our successful season.

Therefore, we will not have any more money spare for additional signings unless we've made any earlier in the season that we're waiting to announce, in which case they will already have been taken out the pot of money we knew we had left or spare.

We're going to have to offload players or renegotiate some contracts if we want to make further signings for 2019 outside of any already made.

In terms of my comment regarding recruitment, I was referring to recruitment for 2020, not next season. We have a few players with big money coming off contract at the end of next season, as well as a few squad players and then a few fringe players. This is the list taken from the other thread for 2019:

Shenton
Roberts
Minikin
Cook
Springer
Clark
Massey
Maher
Gill
Egodo
Aston

I'd imagine that these lot account for around £500k of our spend. I think we'll offer deals to Shenton (reduced terms), Massey, Clark and Cook, and possibly Minikin. Clark and Minikin may demand higher terms.

That leaves questions marks over Roberts, Springer, Maher, Gill, Egodo, Aston, which is probably around £220k plus whatever is saved from the renewals if anything. I'd probably be looking at another first choice prop and outside back from that pot for 2020, if we don't re-sign all the above. Can't see us going for a half to replace Roberts when we have Trueman and Ellis.

Anything remaining from that pot can be spare for the season, new recruits or go on renewals such as Trueman from the OOC end 2020 list.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 08 Oct 2018, 18:19

Going back to Powells piece in today's trade paper he says he dosnt think there will be anymore new signings for next year so if people are expecting new centres it's likely to be minikin and foster
Vince Lombardi

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 08 Oct 2018, 18:34

tigerfeat wrote:Going back to Powells piece in today's trade paper he says he dosnt think there will be anymore new signings for next year so if people are expecting new centres it's likely to be minikin and foster
It that’s not to say we’ve not already signed someone and just not names them yet. If one of Minikin or Foster are to be named as one of our starting centres for 2019, I will be disappointed.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 08 Oct 2018, 18:51

Don't know mate maybe that's what hudds tiger was hinting at
Vince Lombardi

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 08 Oct 2018, 19:01

tigerfeat wrote:Don't know mate maybe that's what hudds tiger was hinting at
To be clear, I have no knowledge of any signings and my interpretation and understanding is that we're running with what we've got.

However, I thought there was an interesting quote from DP in today's trade press (think it was LW). "We're not going to be signing too many players so we've got to find a way".

That indicates that there may be a signing or two in the pipeline ready to be announced without going all out. However, I wonder if after Friday's debacle, him and Wells will reassess the squad and try and free up some cap space and freshen up the squad a bit.

westerbeast
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by westerbeast » 08 Oct 2018, 19:14

Stefan marsh moving from Widnes it's been announced, hope we go for him.