Daryl Powell

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Re: Daryl Powell

Post by old cas lass » 05 Oct 2018, 23:50

Nu Shooze wrote:
tigerfeat wrote:Other thing is everyone down in dumps at minute but you have to say Wigan were excellent I thought so anyway
Did what they had to do, but excellent? No. Didn’t have to be.
Would have like to see how they went if we could have scored in the final 15 mins.
Like was said, they didn’t have to get out of second day.

Dixie D
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Dixie D » 05 Oct 2018, 23:55

Tigersbarmy wrote:I’m sorry to say but has Daryl took us as far as he can ?

Serious question
Get in the bin. Ye I miss the days of fighting for safety and getting tonked by 50+ routinely. Our infrastructure has not improved, we have had no investment, Darryl is the reason we have a team that does us proud. Knew I should not have logged on here. Jeez

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 06 Oct 2018, 00:03

Absolutely no way do we even think of getting rid of DP. He is why we are where we are.

I suggest the club lol at more quality and no more cheap nasty signings, back DP a bit more.

As for us fans, well we will be back in 2019.

Tigerman2014
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tigerman2014 » 06 Oct 2018, 00:08

It’s about time we added some quality to the squad worked last season with him who shall not be named, we have the makings of a good squad but without at least 1 centre let alone 2 we will struggle the salary cap excuse is rubbish and if we’re up to cap we’re spending far too much or bit part players !

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 06 Oct 2018, 00:11

put a vote out there any DP knockers you will find out you will be in the minority we have no big backers wanting to throw their money to bring a team in, we are are a small town with the majority of the working fans on low wages to take over 4.000 away is top draw we are CAS we punch above our weight long may it continue , COME ON YE FORD

The Firm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by The Firm » 06 Oct 2018, 00:15

SFOtiger wrote:No.
This.

Tigerman2014
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tigerman2014 » 06 Oct 2018, 00:21

put a vote out there any DP knockers you will find out you will be in the minority we have no big backers wanting to throw their money to bring a team in, we are are a small town with the majority of the working fans on low wages to take over 4.000 away is top draw we are CAS we punch above our weight long may it continue , COME ON YE FORD

This

Jonny1975
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Jonny1975 » 06 Oct 2018, 00:34

By no means calling for his head, but I do have to question his ability to get us over the line in big games. Agree with some posts, tactically found wanting in big games, and some of his team selections left me searching my head. For instance Jessie is a great 2nd rower but average prop, yet continues at prop. Tonight he doesnt play Clark until 50 minutes, then takes him off when hes the only forward putting it to them. We then continue to yry and beat them down the middle when clearly the way to beat Wigan is out wide. You must also question recruitment this in particular Aston, Ellis, Green, whilst not high earners, total waste of cap for me, throw into that Maher extended contract, and Springer . Alot of salary cap sat in stand. Desperately need a centre for next season.

Matt
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @invmatt

Post by Matt » 06 Oct 2018, 00:34

While emotions are running high can we watch what's posted as there's no need to have a go at other people.
For website related issues or queries please contact the admin account as I no longer own or maintain Casforum.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 06 Oct 2018, 00:39

Defo needs to ask his old mucker at Wigan how to prepare a team to win these big games blokes done it on a regular basis since he became there coach
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 06 Oct 2018, 02:42

westerbeast wrote:Get a grip, the players were poor. Was Mc Meeckan even on the field. Bottled it when it counts AGAIN ALL OFF THEM.
mcmeeken took a bad knock from one of his own players early in the 2nd half. did well to stay on the pitch.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by duke street 10 » 06 Oct 2018, 05:14

It wasn't the coach who was dropping the ball,attempting dumb plays and giving daft penalties away.

drleftie
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by drleftie » 06 Oct 2018, 07:25

Serious question
I think he's gone as far as he can with the current squad of players, yes. Would another coach achieve more with the same squad at the same club? Definitely not.
You can argue about the dream team but the fact is that not a single Cas player has been picked and for a club that has finished 1st & 3rd in the league the last 2 years we have very few internationals. I think DP has this club & squad punching well above its weight & I wouldn't swap him for anyone.

Last night was a real disappointment but in the cold light of day with the injuries we've had & particularly the problems at 1 finishing 3rd has been a great achievement & it's nice to be moaning about a poor semi final performance rather than being the relegation dodgers of a few years ago before DP.

SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by SuffolkTiger » 06 Oct 2018, 07:26

drleftie wrote:

Serious question
I think he's gone as far as he can with the current squad of players, yes. Would another coach achieve more with the same squad at the same club? Definitely not.
You can argue about the dream team but the fact is that not a single Cas player has been picked and for a club that has finished 1st & 3rd in the league the last 2 years we have very few internationals. I think DP has this club & squad punching well above its weight & I wouldn't swap him for anyone.

Last night was a real disappointment but in the cold light of day with the injuries we've had & particularly the problems at 1 finishing 3rd has been a great achievement & it's nice to be moaning about a poor semi final performance rather than being the relegation dodgers of a few years ago before DP.
Great post. Nailed it.

Swagger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Swagger » 06 Oct 2018, 08:00

Powell needs to understand the fans are still behind him before any rash decisions are made. Gotta get the word out.

Casmoley
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Casmoley » 06 Oct 2018, 08:10

old cas lass wrote:Daryl needs to demand we stop bringing projects into the club. We need 2 centres 1 winger and a prop. Established.
If not we will drop out of the top 4 next year.

hahaha Daryl is the one that wants the project players, they're all his signings!!!

Nu Shooze
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Nu Shooze » 06 Oct 2018, 08:15

SuffolkTiger wrote:
drleftie wrote:

Serious question

My thoughts exactly. It’s a measure of how far we’ve come that our disappointments now are losing a GF and missing out on one; not even a dream befor DP came.

What was clear again though last night, was we are desperately short of a couple of leaders with cool heads in the pressure games.

There are a lot of people calling us bottlers, but I don’t believe that’s the case. Others know how to turn it up a notch in these games and we haven’t got that yet. We still approach it as if it’s a league game and then wonder what’s happened when the wheels come off.

What was disappointing was DP’s insistence that we had learned from last year, when clearly we’ve learned nothing.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 06 Oct 2018, 08:24

Agree with the above too much like last year's grand final we knew how Wigan were going to play theve done the same for the last six or seven years and we never looked like we had a game plan to get over them Powell as rightly earned all the praise since he's being at cas but quite silly if you can't point out a glaring weakness as it's happening every time were in a situation like last night
Vince Lombardi

ERG2012
League One Player
League One Player

Post by ERG2012 » 06 Oct 2018, 08:45

DP has stated in his press conference that there has to be a change in approach. He's admitted we have no edge in the psychological battle.

That starts with trust - if he doesn't have trust in a player then we need to come to a agreement/solution

We also have to evaluate our "pre season jolly" I appreciate weather in the UK January and February is not ideal for ball skills however playoff games are in damp wet October evenings. Control a ball in the wet you can do it with the sun on your back.
A couple other posters have suggested a psychologist. I fully agree with the idea on the back of a mentally hard preseason spruce up.
Maybe a few days away with Ant Middleton and Co. Adds a bit of physical training, lectures on mental preparation, change in thought processes and a few little surprises thrown in....
Add in a psychologist to bolster our mind set we will be in a better place between the ears come big match performances.

We do need some home truths as a club - it's a business and sentiments need putting aside. It's not personal it's a results driven industry and we've been found out now..... Twice
Adjust adapt overcome.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 06 Oct 2018, 09:06

I said yesterday it was good words saying were not going to let this lot think there better than us but it's said in the dressing room because if you end up getting well beat it just looks like you can talk the talk but not deliver
I would have gone completely different praising Wigan to the hilt saying how tough it will be wane and ratboys last game saying how there massive favourites playing at home that's what I would have being saying to the media all week
Vince Lombardi