New computer

General Chit-Chat is in here... New Members are invited to pop in and say hello!
Di
Verified
Twitter: @diddididi64

New computer

Post by Di » 25 Sep 2006, 13:24

Shortly I am going to purchase a new computer but I have no idea what to look for, my brother bought the one I am using now and it is a Apple Mac G4 bu I don't mind if its a PC got around £500 to £700 to spend any sensible suggestions

and no adam I won't spend it on you
Casforum is a non-profit website. We rely on donations and forum advertising to keep the site alive. If you'd like to donate please contact any administrator. In return we'll give you a shiny new forum rank!

Matt
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @invmatt

Post by Matt » 25 Sep 2006, 14:11

CCLONLINE

Have a look through there, its were I buy all my hardware from.
For website related issues or queries please contact the admin account as I no longer own or maintain Casforum.

marshman
League One Player
League One Player

Post by marshman » 25 Sep 2006, 14:22

What will you use it for most? I imagine internet and video editing?

Things to look for Di.

Processor. The new thing is "Duo processor", basically two processors rather than one. Mine has a 2.8Ghz processor, whereas now they might have two 2.6Ghz processors. If you can find a suitable one with Duo processors, go for it.

Memory
Mine has 1024 mb ram and i'd recommend that. some deals have 512mb ram i'd suggest that be a minimum for what you'll be doing Di, but go for 1024 if you can.

Graphics
You'll need a good graphics card, that'll last a while but more importantly help you enjoy your all round PC experience. Plus with video/picture editing etc it'll help you out. They'll sometimes say the graphics card name plus something like 128/256/512mb after. 128mb card will be minimum. I'd recommend Nvidia 6 0r 7 series graphics cards(Geforce 6100, 6200 etc or 7100 7200 etc) or ATI Radeon cards,

Storage
Your hard drive is where you store all your stuff. Old PCs might have had about 7Gb storage whereas now you'll get 160Gb or 250GB in alot of deals. It depends what you stick on your computer. If you store lots of DVD footage, then you'll want a large one. A DVD might be 4.5GB. I've got 120GB hard drive but i've since bought a 250GB external hard drive to help store all my junk. If you can get a 250GB hard drive, that should be plenty. If you fill that, a new external 250GB will cost about £80-90, by the time you fill yours up, probably less.

Audio
Not essential to have a super audio card but if it has one it'll help out your PC experience. Lots of deals chuck in a good Audigy sound card.

Anything else they chuck in, printers etc, are just a bonus but just take note. Not all printers they give out free are upto what you want. For example, if you print off photos, the free printer might not be upto it.

Quick summary.

2.8GHZ plus processor or Duo processor (1.8ghz x 2 min)
1024mb ram (512mb min)
Graphics card-Nvidia 6 or 7 series cards.
Storage-hard drive 250GB (160GB min)

Here's a good PC on DELL. Use it to compare if you see something somewhere else. Dell 9200 (click "next component to go through to the final PC, but remember to tick the check box, on the third page, for Support Services. By default it will be the 3 year option but by clicking on 1 year you'll knock £150 off the price, putting it back to the £649.

If you do see a PC online anywhere Di that you like the look of, put the link on here and we'll all have a look and see what we think.

Di
Verified

Post by Di » 25 Sep 2006, 14:26

I have even started looking properly, as I don't have a clue

possibly has to be internet ready cos I don't have broadband at the mo, but I will have soon

possibly TV tuner
Casforum is a non-profit website. We rely on donations and forum advertising to keep the site alive. If you'd like to donate please contact any administrator. In return we'll give you a shiny new forum rank!

GThornton
League One Player
League One Player

Post by GThornton » 25 Sep 2006, 17:56

That deal on TV from PC World looked ok.
:D

Slash
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Slash » 25 Sep 2006, 18:17

Yes I'm also looking to get a new computer soon. I've got a Dell Inspiron 5160 Laptop at the moment, my mum wants a new computer really but she gets my cast-offs and I get the new computer. This laptop is pretty godd but I want a desktop again. I use internet a bit but I'm also a keen gamer and need a good performance from my comp.

Matt
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Matt » 25 Sep 2006, 18:42

If you want im always willing to build you a custom made computer, the costs will be lower to you as I can get the hardware cheap as a trader but its still all top quality stuff.
For website related issues or queries please contact the admin account as I no longer own or maintain Casforum.

Slash
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Slash » 25 Sep 2006, 18:58

Is that offer to me, Di or both Matt?

marshman
League One Player
League One Player

Post by marshman » 25 Sep 2006, 19:07

Get a dual processor and dual graphics cards Slash! Absolutley awesome machines for gaming, but costly! lol.

Not cheap, but fun

BTW Slash. If you do buy a gaming PC, don't take shops word that the graphics cards are for gaming. I've been looking around myself recently because my father in law and a mate at work both wanted gaming PCs. But when i actually had a look at what graphics cards were in the PCs, they weren't exactly the best for gaming.

You can use this site to give you a good idea what is what and what you'll get.

Slash
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Slash » 25 Sep 2006, 19:09

Cheers marshy, BTW that vantage looks an absolute beast! :D

marshman
League One Player
League One Player

Post by marshman » 25 Sep 2006, 19:14

Aye it does. Not only has it got probably the top graphics card for gaming, but it's got two of them! :shock: Makes mine look like a calculator. :lol:

I'm actually in the middle of upgrading mine. Keeping my eye out for a new graphics card on eBay. I did buy one, but i hadn't done my homework properly. Chuffin' PCI, PCI express and AGP! How was i supposed to know they were all different? :lol: Oh well, i might even make a profit though so my next card could be even better.

Slash
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Slash » 25 Sep 2006, 19:24

This is my third computer, but I will really research before getting the next one. I think it pays to just do your homework. For example, I bought this laptop online and I've only had one problem with it, but it's a pretty major design flaw. The vent that sucks in the air is on the bottom of the laptop, this caused it to overheat big style and caused it to shutdown after about five minutes a while ago. Dust gets clogged up so easy!

Steadman_4_PM
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Steadman_4_PM » 25 Sep 2006, 19:27

Slash wrote:This is my third computer, but I will really research before getting the next one. I think it pays to just do your homework. For example, I bought this laptop online and I've only had one problem with it, but it's a pretty major design flaw. The vent that sucks in the air is on the bottom of the laptop, this caused it to overheat big style and caused it to shutdown after about five minutes a while ago. Dust gets clogged up so easy!
Only dust? ;-)

My pc at work has 2gb ram and a dual processor (I'm told). Solitare doesn't half run quickly! :lol:
Adrian Flynn's career low was playing for Featherstone - "Horrible Supporters"

fenton
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: AFenton90

Post by fenton » 25 Sep 2006, 19:56

marshman wrote: Not cheap, but fun
*Dreams*

I wish i was 18, and could get the compensation out of the bank from when i was in a car crash....

Di
Verified

Post by Di » 26 Sep 2006, 13:29

Matt
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Matt » 26 Sep 2006, 13:48

Di wrote:PC world link
Not bad, although I personally wouldnt trust PC World with a calculator, let alone a PC :D

Di
Verified

Post by Di » 26 Sep 2006, 16:30

marshman
League One Player
League One Player

Post by marshman » 26 Sep 2006, 17:18

Those are about the kind of spec i'd expect you to be getting for that money Di. Obviously the first was the better of the two. Keep looking around because there's nothing worse than buying something only to find a better deal elswhere.

Dell had a cracking PC for £555 the other day but have since changed the site and the deal isn't there anymore. ( i can't find it now anyway).

A mate at work is currently looking for a new PC and has mentioned this site. I haven't had a look at it yet properly because i'm busy, (honest i am) but you could have a scan Di, see if anything takes you're fancy.

Slash
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Slash » 30 Sep 2006, 15:58

Well, went to Currys at Ponte earlier and got this computer. I think it's pretty good for the price, I upgraded to the 17" monitor, it cost £449.

Wicksy
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Wicksy » 30 Sep 2006, 20:58

marshman wrote:Those are about the kind of spec i'd expect you to be getting for that money Di. Obviously the first was the better of the two. Keep looking around because there's nothing worse than buying something only to find a better deal elswhere.

Dell had a cracking PC for £555 the other day but have since changed the site and the deal isn't there anymore. ( i can't find it now anyway).

A mate at work is currently looking for a new PC and has mentioned this site. I haven't had a look at it yet properly because i'm busy, (honest i am) but you could have a scan Di, see if anything takes you're fancy.

Marshman is right, if you phone dell tell them what spec you want, you can hagle the price, PC World is a good deal but try Dell .

Maybe they don't want to stand down because they want to rectify the mistakes they've made in seasons gone by.