Garry Schofield - OUT OF TOUCH

Super League, National Leagues and the NRL
tykeneil
Academy Player
Academy Player

Garry Schofield - OUT OF TOUCH

Post by tykeneil » 27 Jul 2021, 18:19

Just seen an article from Garry Schofield - now so out of touch with RL in is untrue

His way to invigorate the Challenge Cup:

My suggestion is for the top eight sides in Super League to contest the following season’s Challenge Cup, so that competition would start with the quarter-finals, while the others, as well as the leading amateur sides, would take part in the 1895 Cup, making it higher-profile and providing a realistic chance of a Wembley appearance for more clubs.

I personally would go the opposite way and have less seeding in earlier rounds so we get more teams playing different opposition

RIP Challenge Cup ](*,)

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Re: Garry Schofield - OUT OF TOUCH

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 27 Jul 2021, 18:43

I saw that. Totally agree with you.
Doesn’t even make sense. The top 8 from the previous season will not necessarily all be the best one in the current one.

Burbo79

Post by Burbo79 » 27 Jul 2021, 20:54

I don’t think this clown has had anything decent to say for a lot of years. I’m guessing he just sits at home wondering what he can say so people realise he’s still breathing.

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 27 Jul 2021, 22:24

The challenge cup only has a lower profile because Sky has made it so. They restructured to make the Grand Final the biggest prize. When I started watching Cas in 1960, the challenge cup was the one to win, and one of the attractions is that everybody takes part, with a chance of a giant killing.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 28 Jul 2021, 07:56

Tv as messed about with the FA cup until it's become de-valued part of the mystique I remember growing up was putting the radio on at midday on a Monday to see who Liverpool had been drawn against in the 3rd round, the semi finals always at places like Villa Park or Hillsborough ,the final always 3 o clock kick off on a Saturday afternoon
If you start messing about with the CC it will become less of a competion
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Ken Smith
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Ken Smith » 28 Jul 2021, 08:55

The thing is in both the FA Cup and the Rugby League Challenge Cup I believe they are the two competitions that the fans and the players look forward to the most. It must be the magic of Wembley.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 28 Jul 2021, 09:10

Well that's right the FA cup as been messed about with that much it's about on par with the Carling Cup or Cariboo Cup or whatever it's called now
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 28 Jul 2021, 10:44

I agree . I think playing the semis at Wembley at well watered the FA Cup Final down

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by FIat Capper » 28 Jul 2021, 12:14

I saw a recent pic of GS laid on a sun lounger with his top off. Looked like he'd eaten Giant Haystacks so I'm not sure he's in touch with anything, never mind RL.

derbystiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by derbystiger » 28 Jul 2021, 13:06

Schofield might be out of touch with the modern game but I wish we had a 6 that played what was in front of him like he did rather than the structured rubbish we see from a lot of halves now. Fair enough, he couldn’t tackle a good dinner but he didn’t need to.

Mucky1978
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mucky1978 » 28 Jul 2021, 19:19

Probably just drunk.

68tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by 68tiger » 30 Jul 2021, 17:43

Personally i feel cup should go back to old system where anyone can draw anyone in early rounds like wigan vs saints us vs lock lane put us in cup at same stage as championship sides such as fev BUT one change i would make is that if a super league club draws a lower league club it must be played at there ground. (obviously not at amateur grounds) This would 1 bring exitement back to lower league fans and 2 let super league fans visit lower league grounds more often. Then i would move the 1895 cup to say blackpool and restore the kids match before wembley final and ladies final so 3 games on day