The Future of Our Game

Super League, National Leagues and the NRL
Tigerade
League One Player
League One Player

Re: The Future of Our Game

Post by Tigerade » 26 Jul 2021, 12:47

I prefer the ODI format myself. Maximum 50 overs each and all done in 8 or 9 hours. Perfect format IMO.

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 26 Jul 2021, 16:03

Think its time we give full control to Eddie Hearn n say please come n fix our game 🙏
CLASSY CAS FOREVER

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 26 Jul 2021, 20:05

I find it hard to watch a game when I have no allegiance, especially when it employs gimmicks. But if it does what it intends to do, attract a new audience or get kids playing, then it has a place.

Spanishtiger
Verified

Post by Spanishtiger » 26 Jul 2021, 23:08

The point I was trying to make is that in the mid nineties cricket was a sport with an ageing audience and low attendances.

Look at it now. The governing body took control, centrally contracted the best players, doubled the amount of international matches and shouted down the counties.

Compare that to our pathetic leadership where the 5 or 6 biggest clubs make all the decisions and the rest hang on hoping not to lose their place at the top table.

In cricket the dog wags the tail, in RL the tail wags the dog.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 26 Jul 2021, 23:43

Spanishtiger wrote: 26 Jul 2021, 23:08 The point I was trying to make is that in the mid nineties cricket was a sport with an ageing audience and low attendances.

Look at it now. The governing body took control, centrally contracted the best players, doubled the amount of international matches and shouted down the counties.

Compare that to our pathetic leadership where the 5 or 6 biggest clubs make all the decisions and the rest hang on hoping not to lose their place at the top table.

In cricket the dog wags the tail, in RL the tail wags the dog.
I agree to some extent but if you’re referring to clubs as the tail, the Counties like in RL Clubs have supporters and particularly season ticket holders. In my case because of where I live, I’m a season ticket holder at Notts and like with Cas I’ve had virtually nothing for my money for the last 2 seasons . That money along with other ST holders has been keeping the clubs going. So Freedom Day comes along which means I can start going to Notts matches, but it’s immediately followed by the start of the Hundred at Trent Bridge which we all have to pay for, but it also sees the start of the one day cup which is included with Season Tickets. Because of the Hundred Notts without prior notice have moved all their home games to obscure places in North Notts and even Lincolnshire. If the Hundred flops they will still expect ST holders to keep the counties going but I for one am unlikely to waste my money again for treatment like that. I’m not totally convinced that cricket has got it right either.

Spanishtiger
Verified

Post by Spanishtiger » 27 Jul 2021, 10:21

I'm not saying that cricket has got everything right, but they're doing a damn sight better than RL.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 27 Jul 2021, 10:42

I agree with that too , but just making the point that they can go after new fans, but shouldn’t forget their existing fan base like Rugby League seems keen to do. People are already walking away from live sport because of Covid changing lifestyles long term

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by FIat Capper » 27 Jul 2021, 10:42

Spanishtiger wrote: 27 Jul 2021, 10:21 I'm not saying that cricket has got everything right, but they're doing a damn sight better than RL.
In many ways the ECB is like the RFU in that it has always had a lot of money and has simply chosen a different way to 'invest' it. They are both now reaping the rewards of those investments.

In cricket, the Counties have fought hard for a better share of the finances through such as T20's and now The Hundred taking center stage at the height of summer, drawing in the bigger crowds. The central contracts also reward the Counties and the use of more grounds for internationals has also spread the money.

However, Kent and some of the other none 'Test' counties are still suffering.

Ken Smith
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Ken Smith » 28 Jul 2021, 09:23

Cricket has improved so much in the last 20 years since Kevin Peterson invented the reverse sweep and today the outrageous attempts of flicking the ball over the wicket keeper, the use of fielders working in pairs to prevent boundaries, the faster scoring, the athleticism of fielders, the remarkable standard of catching, and the reintroduction of leg break bowlers. I don’t see the same improvement in Rugby League. When was the last time one saw a rugby player chipping the ball over an advancing opponent and catching it by running around him to either open up play or score a try? It should always be an advantage for a player to run forward whereas a defender has to turn round to catch him, it’s all about finding space. In fact are today’s rugby players as good as those of 20 years ago when there were no interchanges or substitutions?.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 28 Jul 2021, 10:46

Georgia Roche I think!

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by FIat Capper » 28 Jul 2021, 12:17

Ken Smith wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 09:23 Cricket has improved so much in the last 20 years since Kevin Peterson invented the reverse sweep and today the outrageous attempts of flicking the ball over the wicket keeper, the use of fielders working in pairs to prevent boundaries, the faster scoring, the athleticism of fielders, the remarkable standard of catching, and the reintroduction of leg break bowlers. I don’t see the same improvement in Rugby League. When was the last time one saw a rugby player chipping the ball over an advancing opponent and catching it by running around him to either open up play or score a try? It should always be an advantage for a player to run forward whereas a defender has to turn round to catch him, it’s all about finding space. In fact are today’s rugby players as good as those of 20 years ago when there were no interchanges or substitutions?.
Now those are valid points Ken.

Our great game has become defence orientated with no place for grace and flair. Safety first, no mistakes, 5 drives and a kick is certainly not providing a spectacle.

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 28 Jul 2021, 19:38

Ken Smith wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 09:23 Cricket has improved so much in the last 20 years since Kevin Peterson invented the reverse sweep and today the outrageous attempts of flicking the ball over the wicket keeper, the use of fielders working in pairs to prevent boundaries, the faster scoring, the athleticism of fielders, the remarkable standard of catching, and the reintroduction of leg break bowlers. I don’t see the same improvement in Rugby League. When was the last time one saw a rugby player chipping the ball over an advancing opponent and catching it by running around him to either open up play or score a try? It should always be an advantage for a player to run forward whereas a defender has to turn round to catch him, it’s all about finding space. In fact are today’s rugby players as good as those of 20 years ago when there were no interchanges or substitutions?.
Cricket has improved?

In what terms? It is now three different games with different levels of appeal, so has it improved in entertainment terms or player skill levels? At test level, the ultimate in cricket, I would say it has deteriorated in certain skills, such as batting, but probably improved as a spectacle. Test batting has certainly not improved as batsmen try to cope with the different demands of each game, some have deserted the pure form and become mercenaries just following the cash. Fielding is certainly better as a result of short form cricket.

We sometimes look at RL through rose coloured specs. Back when I started watching it was a winter game, often played in bad conditions, turgid and low scoring, with some flashes of brilliance from certain players. Nowadays it is certainly structured but more points are scored and the game is far quicker. Players today shouldn’t be compared with those of yesteryear, you’re not comparing using similar criteria.

Better or worse? I suppose it depends on a personal expectation. All team games have evolved to entertain more because of the advent of competition from a wider choice of leisure activities and the needs of media companies and the fact that people watching are harder to please.