The Future of Our Game

Super League, National Leagues and the NRL
Ken Smith
Academy Player
Academy Player

The Future of Our Game

Post by Ken Smith » 20 Jul 2021, 09:38

I’ve just read a book by John Nickolson entitled ‘Can we have our football back?’ Without going into too much detail he bemoans the fact that the Premier League is ruining football with Sky moving fixtures around that often only a couple of matches are played each week at the traditional time of 3pm on a Saturday. Does anyone think that all Super League clubs should play all their home matches on their preferred day of the week be it Friday night, Saturday or Sunday afternoon as most Championship clubs do at the moment? I regularly used to drive from Redcar to Cas on a Friday night, and occasionally to Hull v Cas matches on a Friday night also, and to Wakefield etc. on a Saturday afternoon to watch Cas. Today Sunday afternoon might be the preferred day for most fans. Should we forget about moving matches to suit Sky? Indeed should we find another broadcasting outlet, be it BT Sport, ITV, Channel 4 or 5 even jf it means that Rugby League goes back to being a part-time sport? I enjoyed the sport more before Super League than I do today, but the only good thing to come out of Super League in my opinion is making it a Summer sport. Furthermore do we need playoffs? Let’s bring back the County Cups with perhaps the winners playing in a Grand Final or even the Challenge Cup winners or losers v League winners replacing the current Grand Final. In essence was Rugby League a more attractive game before the advent of Super League? I’m only making suggestions not necessarily opinions, but what do other fans think? Let’s have your views.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Re: Featherstone and york game in jeopardy.

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 20 Jul 2021, 10:39

Interesting. I think that Rugby League is reaching a crossroads about its future. There is a push for geographical expansion by those with power and money and at the same time a growing voice( at least from recent articles that I have read)wanting to revert at least to some extent to pre Super League formats.
My personal view is that in the short term the expansionists will successfully manipulate things to get their way, which will probably see more traditional clubs leaving the top flight and going part time. This will give them more say over game days and potentially spin off tv deals
The expansionist Super League will in my view fail because the product will become sterile and will not have good foundations in expansion areas, which like Nottingham, Kent, South Wales, North Wales, London, Sheffield, Carlisle, Gateshead and so many others before them will only succeed when they’re winning ( and let’s face it, even traditional areas like Bradford and Western Cumbria are shadows of what they were). The result will ultimately be a total reversion to part time RL with the big clubs earning less and less Media and particularly TV coverage and money and expansion areas going out of the game. This would leave a bleak future for clubs like Wigan who have already sold the family silver( Central Park) in chasing the dream.
Hope I’m wrong but having read the garbage written by Shane Richardson recycling his 1999 ideas for Gateshead, I doubt it.

Oldcasman
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Oldcasman » 20 Jul 2021, 13:50

Personally I think rugby league won’t exist as it is now I think it’s inevitable that most clubs will revert back to pre super league as the game is being ruined by Sky and the imbeciles that are running super league.

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by FIat Capper » 20 Jul 2021, 13:57

Oldcasman wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 13:50 Personally I think rugby league won’t exist as it is now I think it’s inevitable that most clubs will revert back to pre super league as the game is being ruined by Sky and the imbeciles that are running super league.
The two perhaps go together or it could be a case of no other options. Those ru(i)nnig RL know all too well that Sky have them over a barrel and to lose them would mean end of the game. No other broadcaster seems interesting in paying anywhere near the [vastly]reduced sums paid by Sky so we have little option other than to accept what they're willing to pay.

Sky also know this and totally dictate the game, demanding fixture changes at very short notice, reducing/increasing coverage as and when it suits and basically sticking two fingers up at the true supporters. they see SL as a stop gap between other sports they hold with higher regard with even the terrible RU Lions series in SA getting more coverage than a cheap suit.

The biggest failing of the Administrators is not having the ability to sell the game to a wider audience and in particular, other broadcasters.

Spanishtiger
Verified

Re: The Future of Our Game

Post by Spanishtiger » 20 Jul 2021, 18:50

This topic deserves it's own heading so I've split it from it's previous home.

Spanishtiger
Verified

Post by Spanishtiger » 20 Jul 2021, 18:52

Was recently re-reading Hardisty's book, there's a chapter called Give us our Game Back. Written 20 years ago but almost prophetic in it's predictions.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 20 Jul 2021, 19:16

Spanishtiger wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 18:50 This topic deserves it's own heading so I've split it from it's previous home.
Thanks for explaining that. I was very confused to see that I had apparently put a post on a new topic and couldn’t remember doing it. Definitely thought I was losing it!!

Spanishtiger
Verified

Post by Spanishtiger » 20 Jul 2021, 19:43

A very good post as well. (In my opinion)

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 20 Jul 2021, 20:02

Thanks!

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 21 Jul 2021, 10:14

Expansion only works when there's money in our game and it's a level playing field.

If you bring in a new club, you end up slanting the games towards them just to keep them. Like, dispensation for overseas players, largest cap, no relegation etc...

Toronto, for all it's failings, was good as it made them build a team from League 1 but covid killed them. It was just too far. If concord was still about, a 2/3 hour flight would be acceptable and you could play and get in and out in a day if you chose.

mdean
Academy Player
Academy Player
Twitter: Sacked social media

Post by mdean » 21 Jul 2021, 17:26

The concept of the future is one I have posted on many times, this is an interesting thread, with some really interesting and well made points. This is a massive rant sorry all!

If "the game" and I say that sarcastically, because there are at least four main noses in the trough, the grass roots game, the International game, Super League and championship.

If one party could make a compelling argument and vision for what they are actually trying to achieve, I could have some faith but genuinely I can't for the life in me fathom what anyone's objective actually is.... forgetting 2020/21 for a bit, that wouldn't be fair to bemoan that.
If the game is that SL is successful and more competitive, that was a tag line once, I would suggest that bar the odd anomaly and we have been lucky enough to be one of those anomalies here and there - that hasn't worked and clubs are still all over financially.
Standards of facilities were supposed to be better, I think we can leave that there.
Greater footfall and TV exposure. I think we can agree both are not succeeding.
Grow the game?!?!? Hmmmm
Successful international team?! Hmmmm
Expansion?????
Mass participation..... ??????

I just can't identify a single way that even without Covid, there is and sustained success. I had high hopes for the Elstone era and that never came to pass.
I can't believe the people who have been in senior roles can all have been idiots, in fact in a number of cases I know they're not..... Which makes me think there is a systematic issue with the three major bodies and while that is the case, each may make marginal gains, but nothing significant will change.

The Matchroom effect would be interesting, that would do nothing for Rugby League in general, but would strengthen the SuperLeague TV position and that product potentially, however you have to recognise Darts has a "League" in the PDC. A championship in the BDO and a healthy participation pool to fish from as well as huge offshore appeal, as does snooker. I am not sure RL does and there is a lot less to work with!

Spanishtiger
Verified

Post by Spanishtiger » 21 Jul 2021, 22:55

I watched the T20 cricket last night.

A 22,000 capacity multicultural crowd sat comfortably in a modern stadium on a balmy summer evening, able to have a beer and with no segregation.

Fireworks, music, big screen, video ref and broadcast on Sky main event by a decent production team with knowledgeable commentators.

I couldn't help thinking why is our sport languishing so far behind.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 21 Jul 2021, 23:11

Sorry about what is written below. Just realised you weren’t talking about the Hundred but the T20 International!!
I don’t believe there was anything like 22,000 crowd in there. The capacity in the Oval is 25k
Most of the shots I saw had a majority of empty seats. I’d be surprised if there were 10 thousand in.
Sorry to disagree but I’m not convinced the hundred will be with us next year. Happy to be proved wrong.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 26 Jul 2021, 07:53

Tamworth Tiger wrote: 21 Jul 2021, 23:11 Sorry about what is written below. Just realised you weren’t talking about the Hundred but the T20 International!!
I don’t believe there was anything like 22,000 crowd in there. The capacity in the Oval is 25k
Most of the shots I saw had a majority of empty seats. I’d be surprised if there were 10 thousand in.
Sorry to disagree but I’m not convinced the hundred will be with us next year. Happy to be proved wrong.
Hope your right the Hundred is everything I don't want to be happening when I go to watch a game of cricket ...
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

mdean
Academy Player
Academy Player
Twitter: Sacked social media

Post by mdean » 26 Jul 2021, 09:37

tigerfeat wrote: 26 Jul 2021, 07:53
Tamworth Tiger wrote: 21 Jul 2021, 23:11 Sorry about what is written below. Just realised you weren’t talking about the Hundred but the T20 International!!
Hope your right the Hundred is everything I don't want to be happening when I go to watch a game of cricket ...
I am ambivalent to the Hundred, I can see the product appeal to some. Nasser made an interesting point last night in the coverage about the T20 and I guess in passing the Hundred as well in saying he takes his kid to a game who loves cricket, but inevitably comes home talking about beer snakes and fancy dress...... Either way, the competition has coverage and is getting exposure that RL could only dream of.

casfanfromcov
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by casfanfromcov » 26 Jul 2021, 10:23

At least cricket is trying to do something to attract new fans. I went to Edgbaston Friday night, it definitely attracted a lot more of the local asian community, who you hardly see at Warwickshire or Birmingham Bears matches. It was weird for me trying to support a local team with only one Warwickshire player in it, but overall everyone seemed to enjoy the occasion. It definitely gives you the chance to see big name players, you wouldn't normally be able to see

derbystiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by derbystiger » 26 Jul 2021, 11:44

I’m struggling to watch The Hundred on tv. Those graphics are terrible and take up to much of the screen.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 26 Jul 2021, 12:01

derbystiger wrote: 26 Jul 2021, 11:44 I’m struggling to watch The Hundred on tv. Those graphics are terrible and take up to much of the screen.
Hubby’s been watching it.
It reminds me of when I was younger and the family used to go to Filey with a few other families.
Set stumps up make 2 teams and slog the ball as far as you could.
It’s fast and furious with no control.
Just hit and slog.

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by FIat Capper » 26 Jul 2021, 12:08

old cas lass wrote: 26 Jul 2021, 12:01
derbystiger wrote: 26 Jul 2021, 11:44 I’m struggling to watch The Hundred on tv. Those graphics are terrible and take up to much of the screen.
It reminds me of when I was younger and the family used to go to Filey with a few other families.
Just hit and slog.
When it comes to cricket I'm a traditionalist and prefer the longer forms of the game. I can cope with T20 as a giggle, getting drunk whilst being a total idiot in the crowd with my mates but it's not cricket.

derbystiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by derbystiger » 26 Jul 2021, 12:14

FIat Capper wrote: 26 Jul 2021, 12:08
old cas lass wrote: 26 Jul 2021, 12:01
Just hit and slog.
When it comes to cricket I'm a traditionalist and prefer the longer forms of the game. I can cope with T20 as a giggle, getting drunk whilst being a total idiot in the crowd with my mates but it's not cricket.
I’m with you there FC - yeah, the T20 etc.. is good for a few hours fun but give me test match cricket anyday