RL on SKY

Super League, National Leagues and the NRL
tykeneil
Academy Player
Academy Player

RL on SKY

Post by tykeneil » 18 Jul 2021, 11:26

Looks like they have given us all a bit of raw deal (again) - only about 1 game per week over next few weeks and no Catalan game listed for Saturday

At least we have the NRL

Danny Boy
Verified

Re: RL on SKY

Post by Danny Boy » 20 Jul 2021, 08:22

Was very disappointed to discover the Catalans game not on Sky, especially as none of us will be able to travel to watch the game this year, typical that the Our League coverage has ended, just when we need it most.
Danny Boy

Oldcasman
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Oldcasman » 20 Jul 2021, 13:40

I for one will be stopping my sky subscription as soon as the grand final has been played their total rubbish.

yorky
Verified
League One Player
League One Player

Post by yorky » 20 Jul 2021, 13:58

i have just emailed sky to let them know my disappointment at the lack of games, yet they take my subscriptions.

if anyone's interested this is the email address i use ViewerR@bskyb.com

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 20 Jul 2021, 14:53

Danny Boy wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 08:22 Was very disappointed to discover the Catalans game not on Sky, especially as none of us will be able to travel to watch the game this year, typical that the Our League coverage has ended, just when we need it most.
its catalans deal with the french broadcasters Be1N that has ended and they can't reach agreement on a new one.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

yorky
Verified
League One Player
League One Player

Post by yorky » 20 Jul 2021, 16:05

3 games on this coming friday, non on sky?

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by FIat Capper » 20 Jul 2021, 16:14

Posted this in perhaps the wrong thread so thought I'd pop it in here:

...Those ru(i)nnig RL know all too well that Sky have them over a barrel and to lose them would mean end of the game. No other broadcaster seems interesting in paying anywhere near the [vastly]reduced sums paid by Sky so we have little option other than to accept what they're willing to pay.

Sky also know this and totally dictate the game, demanding fixture changes at very short notice, reducing/increasing coverage as and when it suits and basically sticking two fingers up at the true supporters. They see SL as a stop gap between other sports they hold with higher regard with even the terrible RU Lions series in SA getting more coverage than a cheap suit.

The biggest failing of the Administrators is not having the ability to sell the game to a wider audience and in particular, other broadcasters.

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 21 Jul 2021, 09:20

Don’t think RL is alone in this. Every professional sport is now beholden to media companies. Once you have learned to depend on their cash they hold the aces and can dictate as they please. They are interested only in armchair “fans”, not your regulars.
The Premier League is successful because they have media companies competing for coverage so are in a powerful negotiating position, Super League isn’t so Sky dictate the deal.

yorky
Verified
League One Player
League One Player

Post by yorky » 21 Jul 2021, 16:34

my reply from Sky TV regarding lack of live games this week: -

"We are only showing one game this week but 3 games in round 20 (Rivals Round) instead which is a much stronger round of fixtures. Next week we have 4 live Super League games - Wednesday, Thursday, Sunday and Monday. There are not less games being shown, but the games vary on days due to the congested fixture schedule and player welfare. This is due to Super League requiring to give players at least 4 days between fixtures. I hope this explains the weekly scheduling.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact us."

tykeneil
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by tykeneil » 10 Sep 2021, 09:27

SKY have a TV listing for a game next Thursday 16th but no fixtures moved yet from Friday

Who will be the lucky team to get a late shift!!

JIN JER
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by JIN JER » 10 Sep 2021, 12:32

Danny Boy wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 08:22 Was very disappointed to discover the Catalans game not on Sky, especially as none of us will be able to travel to watch the game this year, typical that the Our League coverage has ended, just when we need it most.
Just out of interest why can’t you travel to Perpignan? They’re on the amber list aren’t they. Not having a pop but there was no reason not to travel.

Danny Boy
Verified

Post by Danny Boy » 14 Sep 2021, 07:59

JIN JER wrote: 10 Sep 2021, 12:32
Just out of interest why can’t you travel to Perpignan? They’re on the amber list aren’t they. Not having a pop but there was no reason not to travel.
I think the rules changed after I posted, not sure if France was on the Amber list back then, or if visits to Amber list countries meant isolation when returning to the UK. I have been to Perpignan many times and have found it a very enjoyable trip and would highly recommend making the trip to any rugby league supporter.
Danny Boy

JIN JER
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by JIN JER » 14 Sep 2021, 10:03

Danny Boy wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 07:59
JIN JER wrote: 10 Sep 2021, 12:32
I think the rules changed after I posted, not sure if France was on the Amber list back then, or if visits to Amber list countries meant isolation when returning to the UK. I have been to Perpignan many times and have found it a very enjoyable trip and would highly recommend making the trip to any rugby league supporter.
Ok mate, I didn’t actually look at the dates when I asked the question. We’ve done Perpignan numerous times and stayed in Lloret once, much preferred Perpignan, lloret was a lot of fannying about. 😊

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 20 Sep 2021, 08:49

Both championship play off games on sky Saturday that's my afternoon sorted ha
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Piquad1
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Piquad1 » 20 Sep 2021, 17:05

You never know might be a nice day. Think I'll cut privet.