Tom Johnstone

Super League, National Leagues and the NRL
scottiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Tom Johnstone

Post by scottiger » 16 Apr 2021, 19:18

Tigerwood posse wrote: 16 Apr 2021, 15:43 Good grief, you cant say anything on here, its supposed to be an opinion based forum, its gone WOKE!! ... the bloke his fantastic then, best winger in the world, as long as nobody tackles him, he's the new DAVE CREASER, They'll have to make a bubble wrap suit for him to play in!!! give it a rest people, if he cant be tackled, he shouldn't be playing the game!! .... I didn't play the game, I wouldn't be able to take the knocks, so I went and did something else instead!! - So sorry I have hurt all your feelings!!
In all fairness you dont come across as the nicest guy .
TM Out

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 16 Apr 2021, 23:04

did any one actually see johnstone get the head knock. i've only seen highlights and nothing on there.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 17 Apr 2021, 06:40

lurcher wrote: 16 Apr 2021, 23:04 did any one actually see johnstone get the head knock. i've only seen highlights and nothing on there.
He caught a swinging arm from grub Isa didn't look much but caught him rate on the end of his chin them ones can turn your lights out
On another note about head knocks Kenny-Dowell clashed heads with a team mate got up on wobbly legs three Hudds men had to hold him up straight and he was allowed to continue the sports asking for trouble not making players come off who get up wobbling about
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 17 Apr 2021, 18:44

tigerfeat wrote: 17 Apr 2021, 06:40
lurcher wrote: 16 Apr 2021, 23:04 did any one actually see johnstone get the head knock. i've only seen highlights and nothing on there.
He caught a swinging arm from grub Isa didn't look much but caught him rate on the end of his chin them ones can turn your lights out
On another note about head knocks Kenny-Dowell clashed heads with a team mate got up on wobbly legs three Hudds men had to hold him up straight and he was allowed to continue the sports asking for trouble not making players come off who get up wobbling about
thought that was the week before against wigan. he apparently got one last week against catalan and thats the one i can't find.

Spanishtiger
Verified

Post by Spanishtiger » 17 Apr 2021, 21:19

lurcher wrote: 17 Apr 2021, 18:44
thought that was the week before against wigan. he apparently got one last week against catalan and thats the one i can't find.
Think it was when he went for the corner at the end of the 1st half, when tackled into touch he banged the back of his head on the floor on the way down. Didn't come out in the 2nd half as a precaution.

I also believe that if he has suffered a recurrence of a recent concussion then the protocol is much more stringent. Something I heard on a podcast with a physio? Can't remember meself, good job I'm not playing in the near future 😂

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 17 Apr 2021, 23:29

It’s certainly becoming more of an issue.
The speed of the game and the fatigue caused as a result of the ‘six again’ rule seems to be increasing the number of concussion injuries - tired defenders and tired ball carriers trying to make big impacts is not a good combination (even more so in the NRL). Barely a game goes by without a least one player failing a HIA.
I’m not sure how we go about making the game safer, other than slowing the game down and reducing fatigue. Most of the concussion injuries aren’t a result of foul play, so whilst we could penalise contact with the head more severely, that’s not really going to reduce the amount of head injuries.
A simple rule change would be to ban immediate tackles on players catching the ball after a kick, when they are really vulnerable. A player who catches the ball on the full should be given a 5m distance before he can be tackled, this avoiding the one-sided high-impact collisions that can cause a serious head injury.

Tigerwood posse
Academy Player
Academy Player
Twitter: no

Post by Tigerwood posse » 18 Apr 2021, 08:20

Double post

Tigerwood posse
Academy Player
Academy Player
Twitter: no

Post by Tigerwood posse » 18 Apr 2021, 08:23

Fumper27 wrote: 16 Apr 2021, 18:01
Tigerwood posse wrote: 16 Apr 2021, 17:48
Fumper27 wrote: 16 Apr 2021, 16:45
Tigerwood posse wrote: 16 Apr 2021, 15:43 Good grief, you cant say anything on here, its supposed to be an opinion based forum,
Yet when people have offered an alternative opinion to yours, you’ve gone off on a toddler like rant? Is the irony of that lost on you?
Jeez, you must have a bloody good memory because i hardly post on here, for this very reason, people who feel they are president of the forum!!
You posted your “dummy out” rant less than three hours ago you nugget....
I assumed you were referring to my previous comments over the years on other subjects, my reaction to comments on here were because I had opined about Mr Johnstone, something that I believed the forum was for, other people did not opine about Mr Johnstone but purely about how Butt Hurt they were about my opinion of the player in question, a personal attack you might say, hence my reaction, if they had merely opined about the player in a different way to me, then that would of course have been “their opinion” and that would of course been “fair enough” but I defended my right to offer my opinion on The greatest winger in world rugby today, but other people appear to have decided to attack me personally.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 18 Apr 2021, 08:55

nottinghamtiger wrote: 17 Apr 2021, 23:29 It’s certainly becoming more of an issue.
The speed of the game and the fatigue caused as a result of the ‘six again’ rule seems to be increasing the number of concussion injuries - tired defenders and tired ball carriers trying to make big impacts is not a good combination (even more so in the NRL). Barely a game goes by without a least one player failing a HIA.
I’m not sure how we go about making the game safer, other than slowing the game down and reducing fatigue. Most of the concussion injuries aren’t a result of foul play, so whilst we could penalise contact with the head more severely, that’s not really going to reduce the amount of head injuries.
A simple rule change would be to ban immediate tackles on players catching the ball after a kick, when they are really vulnerable. A player who catches the ball on the full should be given a 5m distance before he can be tackled, this avoiding the one-sided high-impact collisions that can cause a serious head injury.
We have to have a doctor watching the replays in all matches making players come off if they get up wobbling about like I said Kane Linnett was on Friday if players are being kept on the field by there clubs after that happens it's just asking for trouble later on in a players life
Vince Lombardi

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 18 Apr 2021, 10:00

tigerfeat wrote: 18 Apr 2021, 08:55
nottinghamtiger wrote: 17 Apr 2021, 23:29 It’s certainly becoming more of an issue.
We have to have a doctor watching the replays in all matches making players come off if they get up wobbling about like I said Kane Linnett was on Friday if players are being kept on the field by there clubs after that happens it's just asking for trouble later on in a players life
I agree that independent doctors should be the way forward when their decisions have an impact in the likelihood of on-field success.
I don’t for one minute think club doctors deliberately ignore concussion injuries, but subconsciously they might be considering the impact of withdrawing a player on the outcome of the game.

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 18 Apr 2021, 16:48

Spanishtiger wrote: 17 Apr 2021, 21:19
lurcher wrote: 17 Apr 2021, 18:44

Think it was when he went for the corner at the end of the 1st half,
when tackled into touch he banged the back of his head on the floor on the way down. Didn't come out in the 2nd half as a precaution.

I also believe that if he has suffered a recurrence of a recent concussion then the protocol is much more stringent. Something I heard on a podcast with a physio? Can't remember meself, good job I'm not playing in the near future 😂
that would make sense. the slow motion only played until it saw he was in touch and then cut away. next thing you saw wa tj getting attention. its a strange situation with the acrobatic finishes. if an opposing playe had put him in that position he would have probably got a card of some sort. so its always a bit of a risk when an attacking player throws himself high and lands on his back so often. he does do it very well though some times it seems a bit unessessary. whatever happened to the sidestep inside.

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 19 Apr 2021, 10:19

I don't like the idea of independent doctors, it'll just lead to accusations of backhanders.

Doctors are in the profession of saving life, it would be unethical for them to keep a player on the field who was clearly unfit. The clubs and doctors are setting them up for being sued later.

Plus, who wants a player on the field who doesn't know which way was up?

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 19 Apr 2021, 10:30

mart0042 wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 10:19 I don't like the idea of independent doctors, it'll just lead to accusations of backhanders.

Doctors are in the profession of saving life, it would be unethical for them to keep a player on the field who was clearly unfit. The clubs and doctors are setting them up for being sued later.

Plus, who wants a player on the field who doesn't know which way was up?
There are a few issues with the concept of club doctors.
Firstly, it can lead to overtly unethical behaviour. It’s happened before , most famously the ‘Bloodgate’ incident in RU, when medical staff are pressured by coaching staff to make decisions not based on medical evidence. Doctors are as vulnerable to coercion as any other employee , and they can be pressured and coerced into doing the wrong thing.
Secondly, there’s the issue of subconscious bias. All employees of a club have a vested interest in the on-field success of the team. That can lead to subconscious bias when making medical decisions about players on the field. If a club doctor is making a decision in a grand final or a game that determines relegation and a key player suffers a head-knock in the opening 10 minutes, the potential consequence of the decision to remove them from the game is likely to be a subconscious influence on the decision that is made.
You talk about players suing the clubs/game in the future, but that’s far more likely with club doctors, not less. There’s a very clear case that the doctor making the medical decisions was not doing so independently; that there was an inherent benefit to them making decisions not purely based on medical reasoning, either consciously or subconsciously.

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by FIat Capper » 19 Apr 2021, 12:04

It's hard for me to give accurate comments as I don't know what procedures are included in the HIA. It is clear to me that some that cannot return seem perfectly ok but the 'checks' must have picked up some indication not all is as it seems.

Can this also mean that those that look a a little shakey can appear to recover fairly quickly within the few minutes a doctor will look at them on the pitch - I don't know.

Ultimately, player welfare has to come first.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 19 Apr 2021, 12:24

Rugby league players are brave they will try and get back on side when theve had a head knock to help the team that should be taken out of there hands no way should we see a bloke like we saw on Friday wobbling about and been held onto by opponents to keep him from falling over be allowed to continue playing a game of rugby league
Vince Lombardi

barking
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by barking » 19 Apr 2021, 15:41

Tigerwood posse wrote: 16 Apr 2021, 17:46 Upset me, nah, I'm not all woke and sensitive like, just thought it was a forum of public opinion or else what is the fkn point??
Woke and sensitive????? Have you realised just how stupid that sounds.?.......... Step away from the Daily Mail

You will be calling folk snowflakes next

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 19 Apr 2021, 15:51

Can I ask.
What does woke mean.
Ta.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 19 Apr 2021, 16:48

Think it means awoke to social awareness of things but not 100%
Vince Lombardi

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 19 Apr 2021, 17:03

old cas lass wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 15:51 Can I ask.
What does woke mean.
Ta.
Isn’t it what you do after a sleep or nap?

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 19 Apr 2021, 17:10

Fumper27 wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 17:03
old cas lass wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 15:51 Can I ask.
What does woke mean.
Ta.
Isn’t it what you do after a sleep or nap?
I’ve seen it used a few times.
Can’t for the life of me think what it means.