Robert Elstone

Super League, National Leagues and the NRL
Nobody
Academy Player
Academy Player

Robert Elstone

Post by Nobody » 09 Feb 2021, 16:11

Last edited by Nobody on 09 Feb 2021, 16:15, edited 1 time in total.
🐯 COYF!

Nobody
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Robert Elstone

Post by Nobody » 09 Feb 2021, 16:14

Screenshot_20210209-151323_Twitter.jpg
This is from the official super league twitter account
🐯 COYF!

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 09 Feb 2021, 16:32

The RL turned down his plans to bring in private equity maybe he thinks if he can't do the job how he wants what's the point
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

yorky
Verified
League One Player
League One Player

Post by yorky » 09 Feb 2021, 16:38

£750,000 abortive fee that is owed to the Rothschild merchant bankers & his £450,000 per year salary

Nobody
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Nobody » 09 Feb 2021, 16:52

yorky wrote: 09 Feb 2021, 16:38 £750,000 abortive fee that is owed to the Rothschild merchant bankers & his £450,000 per year salary
Not good, large chunk of cash to throw away. Not done much to justify that £450, 000 salary. Hope we pull our finger out now for new stadium or sorting darn lane out, can't see next chairman being a Cas fan :D
🐯 COYF!

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 09 Feb 2021, 17:42

yorky wrote: 09 Feb 2021, 16:38 £750,000 abortive fee that is owed to the Rothschild merchant bankers & his £450,000 per year salary
750k down the drain wow ...maybe a good idea to have one body now instead of two
Vince Lombardi

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by FIat Capper » 09 Feb 2021, 18:02

You have to question the decision to commit to a £750k finders fee when they knew the outcome could be negative. Even more so when you consider the whole idea was to find an investment company who ultimately, would take their share of any profits that would reduce the portion the SL group could rely on to pay the £750k.

As with any investment, the investor is looking to make more than they invest, effectively taking money away from the game. The initial investment may be welcome at a time of vastly reduced income but the 'repayments' may be equally, if not more, crippling.

I wonder if there's any coincidence with the fact Elstone was on the Cas BoD's during our darkest hours?

Tigboy*20

Post by Tigboy*20 » 09 Feb 2021, 18:39

Not much of a surprise, Sky contract reduced, private equity deal rejected, and he,s complaining that clubs are not keeping things private. Indeed he seems to have an aversion to telling the media or fans anything of any note. Clearly trust and confidence between RE and the clubs has reduced significantly.
Hopefully the SL executive can go back into the RFL and help to achieve the savings that will be required under the new sky contract.

Tigers1926
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tigers1926 » 09 Feb 2021, 22:37

How on earth does someone like him justify a 450k salary?

SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by SuffolkTiger » 09 Feb 2021, 22:47

Tigers1926 wrote: 09 Feb 2021, 22:37 How on earth does someone like him justify a 450k salary?
Agreed - but I have more of a problem with whoever sanctioned the salary. It's the faceless decision makers that should be held to account and asked to justify it. Crazy money.

Tigers1926
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tigers1926 » 09 Feb 2021, 22:53

Exactly Suffolk. The game is not exactly awash with money is it, and no doubt if he does walk away he'll be paid up in full. No doubt if he does walk away he'll drop on for another well paid job, and do sweet fa for it.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 10 Feb 2021, 08:56

He was a disaster the pizza deal summed him up but at the same time he had hands tied the RL kept all the power but blamed him for everything that went wrong
How a sport with not much money in it can waste so much money going back to the point Barwick and Woods were paid off is beyond belief
There should be a independent inquiry to how the sport is run in this country maybe things would change for the future years I won't be holding my breath tho
Vince Lombardi

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 10 Feb 2021, 10:35

tigerfeat wrote: 10 Feb 2021, 08:56 He was a disaster the pizza deal summed him up but at the same time he had hands tied the RL kept all the power but blamed him for everything that went wrong
How a sport with not much money in it can waste so much money going back to the point Barwick and Woods were paid off is beyond belief
There should be a independent inquiry to how the sport is run in this country maybe things would change for the future years I won't be holding my breath tho
Don’t necessarily disagree but an independent inquiry that’s any good will cost a lot of money too, and you can bet your bottom dollar that they won’t implement its findings

mdean
Academy Player
Academy Player
Twitter: Sacked social media

Post by mdean » 10 Feb 2021, 10:46

Salary wise, for a CEO of a "major" sport (arguable I suppose) isn't ridiculous, the issue for me is and has always been what I have said on the Toronto/expansion thread, the Leigh to fill the space thread, the TV deal thread... Strategy.

The key players in this business, RFL, SL, Clubs have no agreed direction - clubs vote for themselves, SL is trying to woo TV people, RFL is for the game as a whole, obviously now with the exception of SL - the money pretty much comes from one source - SKY, but everyone's interest is self interest.

Without making a decision on the objective, you can't have a strategy. You could have any negotiator as the leader, but if the participants have no congruence on what they're trying to achieve, it will fail. I have always like the idea of having a Hearn style involvement, but without a clear objective, it will fail.

Until we make a decision that clarifies:
Are we trying to make RL overall more sustainable, the pyramid, participation and grow a healthy game?
Are we trying to maximise SL appeal wider than the M62 and have that being a major TV sport.
Are we trying to make the SL competition the best it can be......

These three things at the moment work entirely independently I am afraid and until we are clear on what we are trying to do, the decisions will always be split three ways.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 10 Feb 2021, 11:53

Tamworth Tiger wrote: 10 Feb 2021, 10:35
tigerfeat wrote: 10 Feb 2021, 08:56 He was a disaster the pizza deal summed him up but at the same time he had hands tied the RL kept all the power but blamed him for everything that went wrong
Don’t necessarily disagree but an independent inquiry that’s any good will cost a lot of money too, and you can bet your bottom dollar that they won’t implement its findings
Yes that's true I just wanted to find a way that somebody from outside could look at the way the sport as been run for a long time now
I've mentioned before when Eddie Hearn was approached a few years ago to turn the sport around he said he could and I don't doubt for a minute that he would but he wanted complete control he could have said these are the 14 clubs I want in Super League under licence any club without a good enough ground or decent sport could have been put in the championship and stayed there so I can see why they wouldn't let him have complete control of the sport
Vince Lombardi

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by FIat Capper » 10 Feb 2021, 13:03

To be fair it's a thankless task and that in itself may justify the salary?

Most decisions in SL are voted on by the Clubs who inevitably have a one-sided view, voting for what they feel is best for them. How this is structured may need reviewing but, ultimately, will be decided upon by the turkeys that never vote for Christmas.

Take this equity company deal as an example. It required unanimous support and could therefore have been scuppered by one club not supporting it. Hardly demorcratic is it?

Another example is the Leigh decision which I believe Elstone didn't support as he wanted to retain Toronto.

The unfortunate CEO is therefore working with one, if not both, hands tied behind their backs when the salary suggests they should have more responsiblity?

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 12 Feb 2021, 11:33

If I'm right, he was brought in to sort the tv deal and grow the sport to make money. If the clubs are actively working against that by cutting any North America deal by ridding themselves of Toronto, refusing a team in the Capital (London) and not expanding into France further. Then his job is very difficult. These potential income streams are cut.

Then add into the mix covid and UK broadcasters finding it hard to fund the ridiculous money into football, his job is virtually untenable.

This happened with brexit and less than half the population wanting to stay in at any cost and opposition parties wanting any sort of deal by weakening our hand in negotiations.

Personally, in glad he'll get a payoff if he goes. It shows his ability to make a deal by getting blood out of a stone. The wiring thing is how shocking or sport is at the top.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 16 Feb 2021, 08:55

Another royal rugby league farce unfolding no one seems to know the terms of Elstones contract and wether he had a 12 month notice clause in his contract
Lenegan said he had seen his contract but had forgotten what was in it ...
Vince Lombardi

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by FIat Capper » 16 Feb 2021, 12:51

Carry on Super League.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 05 Mar 2021, 09:45

Leaves his job as of today maybe his hands were tied but can't say he did anything praiseworthy in his 3 years
Vince Lombardi