Sky TV rights

Super League, National Leagues and the NRL
Nobody
Academy Player
Academy Player

Sky TV rights

Post by Nobody » 21 Dec 2020, 11:27

£20m a year, roughly half that of previous years.
🐯 COYF!

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Re: Sky TV rights

Post by Fumper27 » 21 Dec 2020, 11:51

That’s the sport in this country ruined, at least below SL level.

https://www.totalrl.com/super-league-re ... ghts-blow/

yorky
Verified
League One Player
League One Player

Post by yorky » 21 Dec 2020, 12:28

well the minute sky cease to show rl i will cancel sky as i have no interest in anything else sky show.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 21 Dec 2020, 12:33

Fumper27 wrote: 21 Dec 2020, 11:51 That’s the sport in this country ruined, at least below SL level.

https://www.totalrl.com/super-league-re ... ghts-blow/
Correct maybe even at SL level I can see it ending up semi pro very depressing
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Sharlotiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Sharlotiger » 21 Dec 2020, 14:17

Everyone can now see why we are only offering 1 year deals....

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 22 Dec 2020, 14:43

Apparently the deal hasn't been formally accepted, but Sky hold the cards here. In reality, nobody else is interested in broadcasting Super League on a weekly basis, let alone showing 2 games per week.
This deal would see clubs lose about 30% of their income from Sky revenue. Coupled with the lost revenue from ticket sales etc for live games, the future looks bleak for clubs who don't have millionaire owners who can plug the gap.
If it wasn't for the furlough scheme, some clubs (including ours) would probably have gone already.

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 22 Dec 2020, 15:00

Sharlotiger wrote: 21 Dec 2020, 14:17 Everyone can now see why we are only offering 1 year deals....
Apart from the three year deal we gave to Gareth O Brien?

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 22 Dec 2020, 15:28

Fumper27 wrote: 22 Dec 2020, 15:00
Sharlotiger wrote: 21 Dec 2020, 14:17 Everyone can now see why we are only offering 1 year deals....
Apart from the three year deal we gave to Gareth O Brien?
Perhaps there was scope to offer only 1 long deal and GB won the lottery.
Spreading the Cas gene pool

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 22 Dec 2020, 15:43

Tomorrow on the tigers Instagram page Niall will be holding a Question and Answer session maybe someone will ask him how long he will be stopping down lane!
Vince Lombardi

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 22 Dec 2020, 16:31

tigerfeat wrote: 22 Dec 2020, 15:43 Tomorrow on the tigers Instagram page Niall will be holding a Question and Answer session maybe someone will ask him how long he will be stopping down lane!
And I'll show my baubles in Woollies window if he answers honestly...

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 22 Dec 2020, 16:53

Flat Capper wrote: 22 Dec 2020, 16:31
tigerfeat wrote: 22 Dec 2020, 15:43 Tomorrow on the tigers Instagram page Niall will be holding a Question and Answer session maybe someone will ask him how long he will be stopping down lane!
And I'll show my baubles in Woollies window if he answers honestly...

I think that question will be cut.

orrsome
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by orrsome » 22 Dec 2020, 17:43

On the pies section of RL Fans they’re saying that, to maintain the share of cash per SL club, ‘smaller’ clubs such as Cas, Trinity and HKR should merge with near neighbours or go semi pro and go down a division so that the bigger clubs can have the money to attract top players.

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 22 Dec 2020, 18:05

orrsome wrote: 22 Dec 2020, 17:43 On the pies section of RL Fans they’re saying that, to maintain the share of cash per SL club, ‘smaller’ clubs such as Cas, Trinity and HKR should merge with near neighbours or go semi pro and go down a division so that the bigger clubs can have the money to attract top players.
Well the simple answer is, if you're big enough, you should be financially sound and not need any subsidy.

casjunction
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by casjunction » 22 Dec 2020, 18:07

The reduction in Sky money after almost a season behind closed doors and possibly similar at least for the beginning of the season it's going to be tough to bqlance the books especially with Pies having to pay rent.
However unless they are advocating a reduced number of teams withmore loop fixtures and probably less attractive to paying fans.
No simple answers.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 22 Dec 2020, 18:24

orrsome wrote: 22 Dec 2020, 17:43 On the pies section of RL Fans they’re saying that, to maintain the share of cash per SL club, ‘smaller’ clubs such as Cas, Trinity and HKR should merge with near neighbours or go semi pro and go down a division so that the bigger clubs can have the money to attract top players.
Mergers are a non starter i agree with the person that said the RL will use private equity to bump up the funds
We might end up with a super league with only clubs that can afford a number of marquees no salary cap or a high salary cap and the rest in another league semi-pro
Somethings got to change we've got a good product great CC great grand final but the games been sliding downwards for years with a lot of bad decisions made along the way
Vince Lombardi

St Albans tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by St Albans tiger » 22 Dec 2020, 20:21

If you merge teams and actually reduce the number of competitive teams downwards - the product become stale and eventually TV audiences fall and so will the sky money - this happened with wigan in the 80's and 90's and we just seem to be following the same pattern again.

What will we end up with a league with 6 teams

mdean
Academy Player
Academy Player
Twitter: Sacked social media

Post by mdean » 23 Dec 2020, 10:51

St Albans, while I obviously recognise your tongue in cheek element about 6 teams - this is what I have been banging on about every time this structure and future conversation comes up - there is no clear strategy or vision about WHAT ARE WE WORKING TOWARDS?

The stupid loop fixtures add nothing, so is the objective 14 teams, play everyone home and away? I can get that.
14 teams, which will lower the standard at the foot and enable effective promotion and relegation and have a genuine chance of staying up? I could get with that.
Is the objective 10 teams, home and away, protect the money for the benefit of the sport to distribute more widely?
is the objective 10 teams, home and away and protect elite players to be fresher and more available for internationals?

I could go on with options, but that is my problem, I can't see a destination and as I said on the Leigh thread, they seem to be filling a gap purely to fulfil a concocted loop fixture mess which adds very little. It all just looks hand to mouth reacting tactics, with no clear strategy. Same with Sky money - we seem to be surprised it is a lot lower..... Have we any other tactics in play, season pass for instance??
It just amazes me how down and in this sport looks with the various elements pretending they have the view of the sport at heart, but in reality the RFL have their agenda, Elstone his, clubs vote for themselves. SL and Mr Elstone have control over the prime asset, but without looking holistically, it withers on the vine. We already have a competition which, barring odd GF appearances and Catalans and the CC, essentially before a ball is kicked will be won by one of 3 or 4.

Tigers1926
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tigers1926 » 23 Dec 2020, 21:36

The answer to the pies from me and I'm sure a lot of other clubs fans begins with a F and ends with two F's