Sky TV rights

Super League, National Leagues and the NRL
St Albans tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Sky TV rights

Post by St Albans tiger » 22 Dec 2020, 20:21

If you merge teams and actually reduce the number of competitive teams downwards - the product become stale and eventually TV audiences fall and so will the sky money - this happened with wigan in the 80's and 90's and we just seem to be following the same pattern again.

What will we end up with a league with 6 teams

mdean
Academy Player
Academy Player
Twitter: Sacked social media

Post by mdean » 23 Dec 2020, 10:51

St Albans, while I obviously recognise your tongue in cheek element about 6 teams - this is what I have been banging on about every time this structure and future conversation comes up - there is no clear strategy or vision about WHAT ARE WE WORKING TOWARDS?

The stupid loop fixtures add nothing, so is the objective 14 teams, play everyone home and away? I can get that.
14 teams, which will lower the standard at the foot and enable effective promotion and relegation and have a genuine chance of staying up? I could get with that.
Is the objective 10 teams, home and away, protect the money for the benefit of the sport to distribute more widely?
is the objective 10 teams, home and away and protect elite players to be fresher and more available for internationals?

I could go on with options, but that is my problem, I can't see a destination and as I said on the Leigh thread, they seem to be filling a gap purely to fulfil a concocted loop fixture mess which adds very little. It all just looks hand to mouth reacting tactics, with no clear strategy. Same with Sky money - we seem to be surprised it is a lot lower..... Have we any other tactics in play, season pass for instance??
It just amazes me how down and in this sport looks with the various elements pretending they have the view of the sport at heart, but in reality the RFL have their agenda, Elstone his, clubs vote for themselves. SL and Mr Elstone have control over the prime asset, but without looking holistically, it withers on the vine. We already have a competition which, barring odd GF appearances and Catalans and the CC, essentially before a ball is kicked will be won by one of 3 or 4.

Tigers1926
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tigers1926 » 23 Dec 2020, 21:36

The answer to the pies from me and I'm sure a lot of other clubs fans begins with a F and ends with two F's