Wigan

Super League, National Leagues and the NRL
tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Wigan

Post by tigerfeat » 01 Jul 2020, 12:47

The football club just gone into administration sign of the times and what's to come I guess but worrying time for the rugby club who of course share the ground
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Re: Wigan

Post by lurcher » 05 Jul 2020, 00:12

looks like big trouble. ownership transferred a couple of times very recently. gaming company are the present owners and after wigan won a couple their odds on been relegated went to 30-1 and then we get a massive bet on them in the phillipines to be relegated. 1 week later the owner puts them in administration which would bring a 12 point penalty and see them almost certainly go down. what happened to the fit and proper person check?
jo brand is eddie warings love child

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 05 Jul 2020, 09:00

The fit and proper people check is a joke Wigan Athletic had turned it around they were on a good run looked safe from relegation
In come new owners within in a few week theve put the club in administration and there looking down the barrel of relegation when the points deduction is applied
Vince Lombardi

Scoopage
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Scoopage » 05 Jul 2020, 10:39

lurcher wrote: 05 Jul 2020, 00:12 looks like big trouble. ownership transferred a couple of times very recently. gaming company are the present owners and after wigan won a couple their odds on been relegated went to 30-1 and then we get a massive bet on them in the phillipines to be relegated. 1 week later the owner puts them in administration which would bring a 12 point penalty and see them almost certainly go down. what happened to the fit and proper person check?
I read about that.very very shady goings on

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 05 Jul 2020, 23:37

Scoopage wrote: 05 Jul 2020, 10:39
lurcher wrote: 05 Jul 2020, 00:12 looks like big trouble. ownership transferred a couple of times very recently. gaming company are the present owners and after wigan won a couple their odds on been relegated went to 30-1 and then we get a massive bet on them in the phillipines to be relegated. 1 week later the owner puts them in administration which would bring a 12 point penalty and see them almost certainly go down. what happened to the fit and proper person check?
I read about that.very very shady goings on
the more you delve into it mate the worse it gets. before going into administration the new owners secured a £28 million loan against assets. the only assets they have are the DW stadium.

daytona
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by daytona » 06 Jul 2020, 07:29

I think if I were Wigan RL, I’d be trying to get out of the DW stadium as fast as possible and distance themselves from the whole sorry mess. Leigh Sports village is owned by Wigan council which would probably be better for them anyway. Not very often they get above 12 thousand watching them these days is it? Not sure how it would go down with Deggsy though

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 06 Jul 2020, 09:23

For Wigan that would be like us playing in Featherstone or Wakey.
They would be a laughing stock locally IMO

Piquad1
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Piquad1 » 06 Jul 2020, 15:25

Life's just Pukka.

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 06 Jul 2020, 15:35

If Wigan are up stream without a paddle, how they managed to afford to being John Bateman back to the club?

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 06 Jul 2020, 16:14

They have a 50 year deal to play at the football ground I'm certain someone will buy Wigan Athletic and they will be fine
Maybe if the owner decides he's had enough but he's just put half a million in so can't see that happening
Vince Lombardi

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 07 Jul 2020, 12:09

Wigan Warriors exploring options to buy Wigan Athletic (well, Ian Lenagan). Could be a sensible approach with the rent for the DW.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

casjunction
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by casjunction » 07 Jul 2020, 22:09

Not a preferred purchaser apparently.
Perhaps a case of all your eggs in one basket.
Or maybe the administrator is concerned about The Pies numeracy skills!

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 07 Jul 2020, 23:43

when you read a bit more deeply lenners is seeking partners to invest. he also wants to see the books before committing which i would imagine are in pretty dire straits.

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 08 Jul 2020, 10:07

lurcher wrote: 07 Jul 2020, 23:43 when you read a bit more deeply lenners is seeking partners to invest. he also wants to see the books before committing which i would imagine are in pretty dire straits.
He won't want money for nothing...

...I'll get mi coat!
Spreading the Cas gene pool

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 08 Jul 2020, 17:43

Flat Capper wrote: 08 Jul 2020, 10:07
lurcher wrote: 07 Jul 2020, 23:43 when you read a bit more deeply lenners is seeking partners to invest. he also wants to see the books before committing which i would imagine are in pretty dire straits.

...I'll get mi coat!
theres a small village near us on the yorkshire wolds called Thwing. a family that live there have the sirname "Thultan".
they are the famous "Thultans of Thwing" ;)

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 08 Jul 2020, 19:26

lurcher wrote: 08 Jul 2020, 17:43

...I'll get mi coat!
theres a small village near us on the yorkshire wolds called Thwing. a family that live there have the sirname "Thultan".
Coincidentally, my cousin lives there and had a band which played in the local pubs called the ‘Sultans of Thwing’

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 08 Jul 2020, 21:15

Tamworth Tiger wrote: 08 Jul 2020, 19:26

...I'll get mi coat!
Coincidentally, my cousin lives there and had a band which played in the local pubs called the ‘Sultans of Thwing’
no tams mate they actually call themselves the thultans of thwing, or they did on the poster i saw. the local pub (the falling stone) had been closed for some time and the village were trying to raise money to buy it and run it as a community pub. i spoke to one of the locals and he said they had reformed to play the gig at nearby wold newton. maybe it was just a one off but a very clever play on words. sadly they failed to buy the pub which is awaiting planning permission to be converted to flats. a sad ending.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 08 Jul 2020, 22:42

lurcher wrote: 08 Jul 2020, 21:15
Tamworth Tiger wrote: 08 Jul 2020, 19:26

...I'll get mi coat!
no tams mate they actually call themselves the thultans of thwing, or they did on the poster i saw. the local pub (the falling stone) had been closed for some time and the village were trying to raise money to buy it and run it as a community pub. i spoke to one of the locals and he said they had reformed to play the gig at nearby wold newton. maybe it was just a one off but a very clever play on words. sadly they failed to buy the pub which is awaiting planning permission to be converted to flats. a sad ending.
Cheers mate. I’ll email my cousin and see if it’s the same band. I know he’s not well but he still plays a bit. Lovely village.

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 09 Jul 2020, 10:59

I'm a regular visitor to Brid and Flamborough and often use the more scenic routes to get there. I've seen many a village name (including those two) and often thought of driving by to check them out. The wife's not so keen though.

Love the play on words though.
Spreading the Cas gene pool