Sky Money 2021

Super League, National Leagues and the NRL
casjunction
Academy Player
Academy Player

Sky Money 2021

Post by casjunction » 19 Jun 2020, 22:49

The effects of Covid 19 and Sky reputedly reducing the amounts clubs will receive in 2021 by £280,000 will no doubt impact on retention and recruitment.
It could also mean those players who think they have what it takes to play in the NRL an increased incentive to try their luck.
It will no doubt impact on antipodeans looking for an easy buck in Super League.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Re: Sky Money 2021

Post by nottinghamtiger » 20 Jun 2020, 00:24

casjunction wrote: 19 Jun 2020, 22:49 The effects of Covid 19 and Sky reputedly reducing the amounts clubs will receive in 2021 by £280,000 will no doubt impact on retention and recruitment.
It could also mean those players who think they have what it takes to play in the NRL an increased incentive to try their luck.
It will no doubt impact on antipodeans looking for an easy buck in Super League.
£280,000 x 11 = £3.08m
Easily covered by the £16m government loan. Unless the RFL are going to centralise the money.

casjunction
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by casjunction » 20 Jun 2020, 06:20

Sky money is income.
Loans have to be repaid.
I haven't seen the terms and conditions but it's not free money.
The loan also specified it was not for salaries.
I tealise the monies can be accounted to show whatever.
I know if l had a business facing an uncertain future as there are no guarantees the crowds will return in the same numbers and a know drop in income it would be a concern.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 20 Jun 2020, 08:19

I thought once you negotiate a contract that was it
Wasn't there some kind of insurance taken out before every season if there was a point in the contract that said money had to be paid back if games for whatever reason can't be shown on Sky
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

casjunction
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by casjunction » 20 Jun 2020, 08:51

Any such insurance policy would need to be very explicit to cover a pandemic, even then some companies who have such policies are experiencing difficulties as the government has said that games cannot be played.
Regardless the hit to clubs finances will be massive.
Even when games resume with crowds there may be some who may be reluctant to put themselves at risk.
It is likely that the effects will be felt for a long while.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 20 Jun 2020, 08:53

tigerfeat wrote: 20 Jun 2020, 08:19 I thought once you negotiate a contract that was it
Wasn't there some kind of insurance taken out before every season if there was a point in the contract that said money had to be paid back if games for whatever reason can't be shown on Sky
I don’t understand why Sky can’t show the same number of games,
They could easily show three or even four games on the same day. If they televised a game on Thursday night and one on Friday night (as per normal), they would only need to cover another four games. Two on Saturday and two on Sunday would seem sensible enough. Catch up on the games missed by showing every game for the rest of the year. I think it would increase their number of customers, too.

Sharlotiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Sharlotiger » 20 Jun 2020, 13:37

nottinghamtiger wrote: 20 Jun 2020, 08:53
tigerfeat wrote: 20 Jun 2020, 08:19 I thought once you negotiate a contract that was it
I don’t understand why Sky can’t show the same number of games,
They could easily show three or even four games on the same day. If they televised a game on Thursday night and one on Friday night (as per normal), they would only need to cover another four games. Two on Saturday and two on Sunday would seem sensible enough. Catch up on the games missed by showing every game for the rest of the year. I think it would increase their number of customers, too.
Totally agree Notts, if SKY don't show the fixtures how will anybody get to see them whilst playing in empty stadiums. It would make sense to to play all the fixtures at say Headingley , play thursday, friday . 2 sat and 2 sun and all the cameras are set up to cover all the games keeping coverage costs down.
SKY get their quota of games and more and the clubs get the money.

Spanishtiger
Verified

Post by Spanishtiger » 21 Jun 2020, 07:03

But we'll be playing into November or December when sky have football and RU. Which is why we moved to summer in the first place.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 21 Jun 2020, 09:04

It wouldn’t though matter which day of the week we played would it?

casjunction
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by casjunction » 21 Jun 2020, 09:14

What ever. Scenario you come up with the clubs are facing a massive financial challenge as are many other businesses.
Clubs playing to empty stadiums no match day income.
Reduced merchandising, less Sky money and prior to this many clubs ran at a loss.
The money for overseas players and marquee contracts will be a challenging equation.

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 21 Jun 2020, 14:39

casjunction wrote: 21 Jun 2020, 09:14 What ever. Scenario you come up with the clubs are facing a massive financial challenge as are many other businesses.
Clubs playing to empty stadiums no match day income.
Reduced merchandising, less Sky money and prior to this many clubs ran at a loss.
The money for overseas players and marquee contracts will be a challenging equation.
i notice lenagan has said he's managed to stave off a crisis at wigan by putting in £500.000 of his own money in. but he said this time it had been a struggle to find it.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 22 Jun 2020, 11:35

Elstone on the BBC rugby page saying theve come to a agreement with sky I presume he means the shortfall of over 250k for each club
Then goes on to say it's a agreement that will help secure the future of the sport not sure I get what he means by that
Vince Lombardi

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 22 Jun 2020, 13:25

As things stand, I'm still puzzled why there's been a need to renegotiate this years agreement?

Yes, there's been no SL since lockdown began but as I understand it, they still want to complete a full season. If so, the same number of games are available to Sky to broadcast surely?

If they choose to show less because of other commitments, like the Premiership, that's their choice so tuff.
Spreading the Cas gene pool

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 22 Jun 2020, 13:34

Absolutely you hardly hear anything from Elstone then he comes out with words that explain nothing
It would be nice to here what Sl the RL have in mind and explain why desicions are being made and what they mean to clubs and the sport
Vince Lombardi

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 22 Jun 2020, 19:02

Flat Capper wrote: 22 Jun 2020, 13:25 As things stand, I'm still puzzled why there's been a need to renegotiate this years agreement?

Yes, there's been no SL since lockdown began but as I understand it, they still want to complete a full season. If so, the same number of games are available to Sky to broadcast surely?

If they choose to show less because of other commitments, like the Premiership, that's their choice so tuff.
aren't we dropping the loop fixtures or have they changed their minds.

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 23 Jun 2020, 13:04

lurcher wrote: 22 Jun 2020, 19:02
Flat Capper wrote: 22 Jun 2020, 13:25 As things stand, I'm still puzzled why there's been a need to renegotiate this years agreement?

You tell me, I can't remember what I did this morning! :D
Spreading the Cas gene pool

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 23 Jun 2020, 14:54

Flat Capper wrote: 23 Jun 2020, 13:04
lurcher wrote: 22 Jun 2020, 19:02

You tell me, I can't remember what I did this morning! :D
think there were 3 different plans and one of them involved scrapping the loop fixtures. but like you i can't remember which plan. #-o