Re: Greg Inglis

Post by Scoopage » 19 May 2020, 20:57

On a par with us signing newlove.will do bugger all

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 19 May 2020, 22:47

Let the other clubs sign the “big name” Aussie/NZ players, I say.
As a general rule, they are either completely bonkers and walk out on the club, too old, don’t settle, or come with the attitude that they are just prolonging their career. Not always, but how many “superstars” have we seen come over to a fanfare, only to be distinctly average or waltz back of to Australia as soon as they can?
Let the other clubs sign the “big names”. Whilst they are splashing the cash on players that won’t be there for more than a couple of years, we’ll build a team around players like Niall Evalds, Danny Richardson, Jake Trueman, Paul McShane and Liam Watts.

SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by SuffolkTiger » 19 May 2020, 22:55

nottinghamtiger wrote: 19 May 2020, 22:47 Let the other clubs sign the “big name” Aussie/NZ players, I say.
As a general rule, they are either completely bonkers and walk out on the club, too old, don’t settle, or come with the attitude that they are just prolonging their career. Not always, but how many “superstars” have we seen come over to a fanfare, only to be distinctly average or waltz back of to Australia as soon as they can?
Let the other clubs sign the “big names”. Whilst they are splashing the cash on players that won’t be there for more than a couple of years, we’ll build a team around players like Niall Evalds, Danny Richardson, Jake Trueman, Paul McShane and Liam Watts.
Agree. However, Macca is 31 in November so no spring chicken. He is the fulcrum of what we are under DP and will have a huge influence over whether we win a trophy in the next 2/3 seasons.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 19 May 2020, 23:06

SuffolkTiger wrote: 19 May 2020, 22:55
nottinghamtiger wrote: 19 May 2020, 22:47 Let the other clubs sign the “big name” Aussie/NZ players, I say.
Agree. However, Macca is 31 in November so no spring chicken. He is the fulcrum of what we are under DP and will have a huge influence over whether we win a trophy in the next 2/3 seasons.
True. My point was that we sign players who have the attributes to improve and have a good number of years ahead of them at the point we sign them (McShane was 25 when he signed). I can’t remember the last time we signed a player who was over 30 at the time they signed, save a couple of players we’ve taken on very short-term deals.
I’m hoping that McShane’s playing style allows him to continue well into his 30s, as Roby has done at Saints.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 20 May 2020, 07:17

Some people reacting like he's been signed at his peak 5 years ago
Warrington can do what they like it's up to them he may be the difference in winning a trophy we will have to see
I know if I was a supporter of there club with the money the owner as I'd be less than happy at a number of there signings id be looking at young talent to be build a young team who can play together for the next 4 or 5 years
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 20 May 2020, 09:56

I appreciate that Super League won't be getting the Greg Inglis of the early 2000's when he was arguably the best in the world, but I think people are very quick in writing him off. He was captaining QLD in State of Origin in 2018. That was only 2 years ago.

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 20 May 2020, 11:14

At best I would describe this venture as a risk in reality, anything could happen. Wouldn't be my choice.
Spreading the Cas gene pool

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 20 May 2020, 11:23

heritage1926 wrote: 20 May 2020, 09:56 I appreciate that Super League won't be getting the Greg Inglis of the early 2000's when he was arguably the best in the world, but I think people are very quick in writing him off. He was captaining QLD in State of Origin in 2018. That was only 2 years ago.
I was thinking more the reaction of the Warrington fans there's one idiot put before his injury he was playing the best rugby of his life
The last game I saw him play he was in so much pain from his injuries he could only run straight lines any twisting or turning he was struggling
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 20 May 2020, 11:34

tigerfeat wrote: 20 May 2020, 11:23
heritage1926 wrote: 20 May 2020, 09:56 I appreciate that Super League won't be getting the Greg Inglis of the early 2000's when he was arguably the best in the world, but I think people are very quick in writing him off. He was captaining QLD in State of Origin in 2018. That was only 2 years ago.
I was thinking more the reaction of the Warrington fans there's one idiot put before his injury he was playing the best rugby of his life
The last game I saw him play he was in so much pain from his injuries he could only run straight lines any twisting or turning he was struggling
Whatever people think, he obviously has his reasons for returning to Rugby League. We'll never know, but it doesn't sound financially motivated, as 1) he could still play NRL at a push or QLD cup and be paid well and 2) he's a millionaire. Sounds like he genuinely feels like he has at least another season in him and wants to go out on his terms.

Why he chose to reach out to Warrington, we don't know, but that could of been influenced from Bryce Goodwin or an ex Wire player, playing for Souths. But he must fancy himself coming across the world, with nothing to prove to anyone.

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 20 May 2020, 12:40

I’m happier we’ve got Evalds for full back than sign Greg Inglis.
And I’m being totally serious.

It’s a signing that smacks a bit of desperation, when in fact Wire aren’t a desperate club. Perhaps Steve Price is a desperate coach.

No doubt he’s an excellent player. But he’s not super human and he’s got injuries.

No second coming.
Audacter Et Sincere

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 20 May 2020, 13:05

Mysterio wrote: 20 May 2020, 12:40 I’m happier we’ve got Evalds for full back than sign Greg Inglis.
Me too.

Nu Shooze
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Nu Shooze » 20 May 2020, 14:09

Mysterio wrote: 20 May 2020, 12:40 I’m happier we’ve got Evalds for full back than sign Greg Inglis.

It’s a signing that smacks a bit of desperation, when in fact Wire aren’t a desperate club. Perhaps Steve Price is a desperate coach.

No doubt he’s an excellent player. But he’s not super human and he’s got injuries.

No second coming.
If you consider the endless stream of supposedly top-class talent Warrington go through each year in a bid to win SL, I would say they’re very desperate