Re: Greg Inglis

Post by heritage1926 » 19 May 2020, 13:25

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 19 May 2020, 13:34

When will some clubs ever learn?
A player with a chronic injury who hasn’t played for two years. And throw his mental health difficulties and addictions into the mix too.
It’s a disaster waiting to happen.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 19 May 2020, 13:35

They make some strange desicions don't they
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Swagger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Swagger » 19 May 2020, 14:01

He's class though. Will rip it up in SL.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 19 May 2020, 14:05

Swagger wrote: 19 May 2020, 14:01 He's class though. Will rip it up in SL.

Like SBW as.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 19 May 2020, 14:16

No chance. His knee is so wrecked that he can barely run, and he’s got so little movement in it that he can’t even change direction.
He’ll be distinctly average, if he’s even on the field.

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 19 May 2020, 14:36

He didn't retire due to any injury, he actually said his body was still capable of playing, however, he had a few mental health and addiction problems he was battling and wanted to spend time away from the field. Rabbitohs didn't want to lose someone of his calibre from the game, so offered him a coaching job. By all accounts, he wasn't on much $$$ for someone of his stature in the game.

By all accounts, he's got a second wind and Warrington approached him with an offer, which he's accepted. He's still been training and keeping fit, Burgess said in an interview that he still looked like he could go another couple of years.

tallguyx
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by tallguyx » 19 May 2020, 15:51

heritage1926 wrote: 19 May 2020, 14:36 He didn't retire due to any injury, he actually said his body was still capable of playing, however, he had a few mental health and addiction problems he was battling and wanted to spend time away from the field. Rabbitohs didn't want to lose someone of his calibre from the game, so offered him a coaching job. By all accounts, he wasn't on much $$$ for someone of his stature in the game.

By all accounts, he's got a second wind and Warrington approached him with an offer, which he's accepted. He's still been training and keeping fit, Burgess said in an interview that he still looked like he could go another couple of years.
Lol. Shenton is a better centre than him these days. I must’ve imagined him missing a full year with a cruciate ligament and his shoulder been so bad he could hardly catch.

Added to the fact he looked 3 stone overweight when he tried to make a comeback. It’s a nice pr stunt that’s all it is.

Don’t believe the guff about it been his own decision either. Burgess is one of his best friends too so he’s hardly going to say he’s past it is he.

I like Greg he was a great player for my beloved souths but please don’t expect the monster that used to terrorise other teams in the NRL.

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 19 May 2020, 15:54

old cas lass wrote: 19 May 2020, 14:05

Like SBW as.
You put SBW in any of top 8 teams and He would be ripping it up instead hes babysitting a craap team and trying to do too much.
CLASSY CAS FOREVER

flood light tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by flood light tiger » 19 May 2020, 16:02

He will make the club a load of money using his name alone they want to get supporters back also using his name to do so

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 19 May 2020, 17:03

flood light tiger wrote: 19 May 2020, 16:02 He will make the club a load of money using his name alone they want to get supporters back also using his name to do so
I’m not sure this is true in RL, to be honest.
A star player doesn’t necessarily increase season ticket sales or ticket sales for individual games. We’ve seen so-called star players come and go, but generally they haven’t increased spectators for a particular club.
There might be some domino-effect on sponsorship, but again things like commercial sponsorship rates don’t generally increase with the signing of one star player.
The last player that seemed to make a difference was Johns. And that was because he was the best in the world at the time and came towards the end of the season, selling a few shirts that wouldn’t have sold otherwise and putting bums on seats as everyone knew he wouldn’t be here long.

daytona
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by daytona » 19 May 2020, 17:49

Getting like a dads army team over at Warrington. Probably the best player in the world but that was five years ago. Injury ravaged, mental health issues and has struggled with drug addiction. Oh and he’s 34. What could possibly go wrong? If he plays full back, where will Ratchford and the exciting young kid they signed from Swinton whose name escapes me Fit in? Always a dangerous business going after big names when they are on the downward slope. Not only because they spend half the time on the treatment table, but it often upsets the good young kids that are desperate to impress.He will make the club a good few quid selling merch mind!

SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by SuffolkTiger » 19 May 2020, 19:37

A peculiar bit of business.

I'm not sure these type of "high profile" transfers actually do the credibility of the game much good. I can't think of any that have turned out to be worth anywhere near the hype - unless it's been a few short sharp games (John's, Morley etc). The SKY & BBC fawning over SBW was uncomfortably cringy when he arrived in Manchester/Leigh/Toronto/Eccles or wherever it was.

Time will tell I guess.

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 19 May 2020, 20:41

poor mans ryan atkins. :) 5 years ago i would have queued to watch him but i just can't see him doing much above the ordinary next year.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

Scoopage
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Scoopage » 19 May 2020, 20:57

On a par with us signing newlove.will do bugger all

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 19 May 2020, 22:47

Let the other clubs sign the “big name” Aussie/NZ players, I say.
As a general rule, they are either completely bonkers and walk out on the club, too old, don’t settle, or come with the attitude that they are just prolonging their career. Not always, but how many “superstars” have we seen come over to a fanfare, only to be distinctly average or waltz back of to Australia as soon as they can?
Let the other clubs sign the “big names”. Whilst they are splashing the cash on players that won’t be there for more than a couple of years, we’ll build a team around players like Niall Evalds, Danny Richardson, Jake Trueman, Paul McShane and Liam Watts.

SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by SuffolkTiger » 19 May 2020, 22:55

nottinghamtiger wrote: 19 May 2020, 22:47 Let the other clubs sign the “big name” Aussie/NZ players, I say.
As a general rule, they are either completely bonkers and walk out on the club, too old, don’t settle, or come with the attitude that they are just prolonging their career. Not always, but how many “superstars” have we seen come over to a fanfare, only to be distinctly average or waltz back of to Australia as soon as they can?
Let the other clubs sign the “big names”. Whilst they are splashing the cash on players that won’t be there for more than a couple of years, we’ll build a team around players like Niall Evalds, Danny Richardson, Jake Trueman, Paul McShane and Liam Watts.
Agree. However, Macca is 31 in November so no spring chicken. He is the fulcrum of what we are under DP and will have a huge influence over whether we win a trophy in the next 2/3 seasons.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 19 May 2020, 23:06

SuffolkTiger wrote: 19 May 2020, 22:55
nottinghamtiger wrote: 19 May 2020, 22:47 Let the other clubs sign the “big name” Aussie/NZ players, I say.
Agree. However, Macca is 31 in November so no spring chicken. He is the fulcrum of what we are under DP and will have a huge influence over whether we win a trophy in the next 2/3 seasons.
True. My point was that we sign players who have the attributes to improve and have a good number of years ahead of them at the point we sign them (McShane was 25 when he signed). I can’t remember the last time we signed a player who was over 30 at the time they signed, save a couple of players we’ve taken on very short-term deals.
I’m hoping that McShane’s playing style allows him to continue well into his 30s, as Roby has done at Saints.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 20 May 2020, 07:17

Some people reacting like he's been signed at his peak 5 years ago
Warrington can do what they like it's up to them he may be the difference in winning a trophy we will have to see
I know if I was a supporter of there club with the money the owner as I'd be less than happy at a number of there signings id be looking at young talent to be build a young team who can play together for the next 4 or 5 years
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi