Academy Player

Re: Ottawa aces

Post by flood light tiger » 09 Mar 2020, 19:28

Not going to work out so what's the point

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 09 Mar 2020, 19:56

flood light tiger wrote: 09 Mar 2020, 19:28 Not going to work out so what's the point
Thats the spirit
CLASSY CAS FOREVER

Piquad1
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Piquad1 » 10 Mar 2020, 05:50

Be a team in from Russia next.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 10 Mar 2020, 08:50

Piquad1 wrote: 10 Mar 2020, 05:50 Be a team in from Russia next.
New York in 2022 and Valencia Huracanes.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

mdean
Academy Player
Academy Player
Twitter: Sacked social media

Post by mdean » 10 Mar 2020, 11:43

Not a conspiracy theorist, but looking at the NBA and MLS models seems most profitable, much less important than what happens on court/pitch.

A collection of high profile, big city clubs doesn't really matter which country they're in - you only have to go to one of the European NFL games to see that. We are a long way from that, but Ottawa, Toronto, NYC, London it is an attractive proposition for an investor. Much more so than Batley, Widnes or dare I say it, Castleford.

They've secured a license to enter at the appropriate level, sustaining something is more difficult, as Toronto are proving, but it is crystal clear to me that remaining as we have been for 100 years hasn't done a great deal to move matters on, other than Sky money.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 10 Mar 2020, 11:55

Here’s an idea.
Let’s start a league, let’s say name it city league.
Which includes the big city money bag clubs.
Ie London
Toronto
Ottawa
New York
Leeds
Warrington
Saints
Wigan
Hull fc.
Catalans
Let them get on with it.

The others, keep as SL, whoever finishes top in both leagues, play a one-off game for a troph.
All teamS to be. Involved in thee CC.

This is just made up and not serious Just for a laugh.
Though I can see it coming one day, when milan, Berlin, Lisbon and a few other big city capitals enter the frame.

It’s coming.

Nobody
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Nobody » 10 Mar 2020, 12:17

old cas lass wrote: 10 Mar 2020, 11:55 Here’s an idea.
Let’s start a league, let’s say name it city league.
Which includes the big city money bag clubs.
Ie London
Toronto
Ottawa
New York
Leeds
Warrington
Saints
Wigan
Hull fc.
Catalans
Let them get on with it.

The others, keep as SL, whoever finishes top in both leagues, play a one-off game for a troph.
All teamS to be. Involved in thee CC.

This is just made up and not serious Just for a laugh.
Though I can see it coming one day, when milan, Berlin, Lisbon and a few other big city capitals enter the frame.

It’s coming.
You are right though, it hasn't worked for Toronto yet but when these new clubs find their feet, funded by their billionaire backers.... We can say goodbye to the likes of Cas and Wakey in the top flight of Rugby league.
🐯 COYF!

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 10 Mar 2020, 12:54

It's like there on a mission to see if they can come up with a dafter idea than the last...next challange cup draw to be in New York lol
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

mdean
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by mdean » 10 Mar 2020, 13:14

I am not sure if they're daft ideas, or a decision point for the future - coming up for a moment from Cas.
If Rugby League is seeking to be a high profile, commercially viable televisual and attended product, then you have to make these decisions how you land in bigger markets.

If we want a locally televised 5th icon across on the BBC sport page, literally no icon on ESPN sport, then that might be different. Ottawa are neither the cause or an exemplar in and of themselves, but it is a big year, TV deals up for grabs.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 10 Mar 2020, 13:38

There daft ideas upon daft ideas if you want the complete and slow death of rugby league in the UK ,All that would follow in your idea of having moneybags clubs like Barcelona Toronto New York and co in super league is they would sure as night follows day eventually end up taking all the best players from the likes of Leeds Saints Warrington who would then be replaced by the likes of Dublin and other money bags new clubs
Vince Lombardi

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 10 Mar 2020, 14:15

Whatever happens, the TV deal has to follow to suit. IMO, the TV deal isn't going to be that good so the game is going to have some big challenges ahead anyway. It is what clubs survive on.

Toronto, Ottawa and New York aren't going to have a detrimental effect on that - they don't take Sky money (least Toronto don't). If they can self-generate or provide their own income, and bring new TV deals/add value to our own TV deal, then that is only going to benefit clubs.

We're very fortunate in that the game also has a salary cap. As much as the Wigan/Wire fans advocate removing it completely (because they know they won't ever get relegated and act out of pure self-interest), it actually does provide a competitive level playing field so much so that the only way Cas/Wakey will ever drop out of SL is through performance on the field by and large.

For me, the future is and always has been an American conference type system with end of season play-offs, for the simple fact it allows all clubs to be run as sustainable as possible, as well as expanding into different markets sustainably too. Takes away the threat of relegation, which allows clubs to invest.

If we have any ambition we need to bring North American and French sides under one roof and pool resources together and sell the sport together. RFL to UK sponsors, FFR to French sponsors, USARL/CRL to USA and Canada.

We need to work out the ideal length of season - let's say hypothetically 23 games (so 24 teams).

That's 6 conferences of 4 - 4 UK, 1 North American, 1 French/Spain.

Conference A: Newcastle, York, Leeds, Castleford
Conference B: St Helens, Wigan, Warrington, Salford
Conference C: Hull KR, Hull FC, Wakefield, Huddersfield
Conference D: London Broncos, Coventry, Bradford, Whitehaven
French/Spanish: Catalans, Toulouse, Valencia, Carcassone (hypothetically)
US/Canadian: Toronto, Ottawa, New York, + one more team

Feel free to select whatever sides you want in this -mine are just random selections based on city/locations/expansion.

The other sides may feel aggrieved but we have to be strategic and get tough. There could be a developmental league underneath this for potential franchisees to replace the ones above therefore giving some purpose to them. A lot of the clubs at the bottom have history but at the moment they're doing nothing more than surviving off Sky money alone.

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 10 Mar 2020, 14:17

I amy be wrong but I cannot foresee a viable, competetive Rugby League, league competition that is totally reliant on owners with deep pockets. The game must sell itself and not rey on gimmicks or short-term headlines.

The RFL should be providing as much support (advice) as possible to the likes of Coventry Bears or Gloucester All Golds and grow the game in this country to alevel where ultimately, supporters have an efinity with the CLub and turn up in mumbers.
Spreading the Cas gene pool

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 10 Mar 2020, 14:20

Indeed, and we have to be prepared to give concessions away to those clubs to get them up to speed and at a decent level too.

For me, I'd love to see Newcastle, Coventry, York at a higher level and competing.

mdean
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by mdean » 10 Mar 2020, 14:50

I don't have a dog in this fight particularly, but enjoying the discussion - arguably we have had 100 years, or 20+ of Sky money to have any strategy around Cov, Glos and fundamentally failed.

While the top 10 vote on the shape and size, IE: Share of the money, then I don't blame them for putting self interest first. But it is to the detriment of expanding the commercial and financial appeal - which may not be a bad thing. IF WE CHOOSE to stay as we are, I am not clear on what people really want.
I will say again though (As I did on the Toronto thread), I am a lot more likely to plan my 2020 travels around going to NYC or Toronto than I am to go to Coventry I am afraid.

fast hands
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by fast hands » 10 Mar 2020, 15:45

All these multi-million clubs coming in and the small clubs disapearing, but will someone tell me where are all these super star RL players are coming from.
At a rough estimate, including the UK, Aus, N Z, Samoa etc. there must be only, approx 100 players that with there skill, strength, and fitness, are good enough to call world class. Will the big city clubs be willing to invest in run of the mill players, or perhaps Redhall has a cunning plan.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 10 Mar 2020, 16:24

I can see them all sat round the table ...Ok guys we've got two options where we can hold the 6th round draw of the Challange Cup all those in favour of the Mobile Rocket stadium ìn wakey hands up ...noted ...all those in favour of New York ...noted ...ok looks like we're off to New York
The lot of them make me feel sick in my stomach
Vince Lombardi