Most overrated all time Super League XIII

Super League, National Leagues and the NRL
SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Most overrated all time Super League XIII

Post by SuffolkTiger » 28 Feb 2020, 23:03

I've found a half back to partner Sinfield - Gareth Widdop. What is all that about?

Shaul a shoe in at full back.

I would welcome other suggestions.....

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Re: Most overrated all time Super League XIII

Post by nottinghamtiger » 28 Feb 2020, 23:09

Chris Hill. Half a good season and everyone seemed to go wild about a player who came from the championship and could handle the step up to SL. Gave him a reputation far beyond his capabilities, but for me he’s never been any more than an average prop.
Tom Johnstone. He scores the odd good finish, but he’s lacking in so many other areas. Poor defensively, poor binging the ball away from his own line and poor under the high ball. For me, the acrobatic finishes don’t make up for his weaknesses.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 28 Feb 2020, 23:57

SuffolkTiger wrote: 28 Feb 2020, 23:03 I've found a half back to partner Sinfield - Gareth Widdop. What is all that about?

Shaul a shoe in at full back.

I would welcome other suggestions.....
Isn’t there an RFL poll currently happening for the greatest player of all time and SInfield and Offiah are both on a pretty short shortlist?
Unbelievable!

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 29 Feb 2020, 00:25

nottinghamtiger wrote: 28 Feb 2020, 23:09 Chris Hill. Half a good season and everyone seemed to go wild about a player who came from the championship and could handle the step up to SL. Gave him a reputation far beyond his capabilities, but for me he’s never been any more than an average prop.
Tom Johnstone. He scores the odd good finish, but he’s lacking in so many other areas. Poor defensively, poor binging the ball away from his own line and poor under the high ball. For me, the acrobatic finishes don’t make up for his weaknesses.
Have to admit i like TJ especially as he has stayed loyal to wakey but there are times i think he could have just gone hard and low to score tries rather than the acrobatics. there are times when he seems to be flying down he wing and then slows down just to do the spectacular finish.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 29 Feb 2020, 08:52

Josh Hodgson is over rated has a good kicking game from marker but found out to be just a decent player when playing for England Bennett was blinded by the fact because he plays in the NRL he has to be better then anybody in super league when in fact there are 3 or 4 number nines over here better than him
Widdop even when he was at his best in the Nrl I thought he was over rated now he just looks like someone who's made the biggest mistake in his life leaving Australia to play in a English winter
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 29 Feb 2020, 09:21

George Williams - never saw why people raved about him either. One good game in 10 and usually against one of the weaker teams. Never saw him play well against the good teams or be the difference in a close game.
Can’t see him making it in the NRL - I reckon he’ll be back in SL next season.

It might be controversial on here, but I think McMeeken is over-rated too. He’s a decent player SL player, but nowhere near as good as some people think he is.

Mucky1978
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mucky1978 » 29 Feb 2020, 09:57

Danny Kirkmond and Scott Taylor

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 29 Feb 2020, 10:12

nottinghamtiger wrote: 29 Feb 2020, 09:21 George Williams - never saw why people raved about him either. One good game in 10 and usually against one of the weaker teams. Never saw him play well against the good teams or be the difference in a close game.
Can’t see him making it in the NRL - I reckon he’ll be back in SL next season.

It might be controversial on here, but I think McMeeken is over-rated too. He’s a decent player SL player, but nowhere near as good as some people think he is.
I would have said Mcshane as well after last season but he's come out playing like Cam Smith been best player in comp so far for me this season
Vince Lombardi

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 29 Feb 2020, 10:37

nottinghamtiger wrote: 28 Feb 2020, 23:09 Tom Johnstone. He scores the odd good finish, but he’s lacking in so many other areas. Poor defensively, poor binging the ball away from his own line and poor under the high ball. For me, the acrobatic finishes don’t make up for his weaknesses.
Glad other people are also seeing this. Got slated on social media for pointing this out. His acrobatic finishes really do paper over the cracks in his game.

He's very reluctant to bring the ball out of his own half to help his forwards out and for a big winger, doesn't seem to make the metres either. Flip of a coin between him and Makinson for best finisher, but comes nowhere near the better wingers in the comp on his over all game.

JIN JER
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by JIN JER » 29 Feb 2020, 11:07

heritage1926 wrote: 29 Feb 2020, 10:37
nottinghamtiger wrote: 28 Feb 2020, 23:09 Tom Johnstone. He scores the odd good finish, but he’s lacking in so many other areas. Poor defensively, poor binging the ball away from his own line and poor under the high ball. For me, the acrobatic finishes don’t make up for his weaknesses.
Glad other people are also seeing this. Got slated on social media for pointing this out. His acrobatic finishes really do paper over the cracks in his game.

He's very reluctant to bring the ball out of his own half to help his forwards out and for a big winger, doesn't seem to make the metres either. Flip of a coin between him and Makinson for best finisher, but comes nowhere near the better wingers in the comp on his over all game.
That second paragraph is complete rubbish mate, he brings the ball out of defence a hell of a lot, gives the forwards a bit of a break, he isn't the perfect winger (yet) but puts a good shift in every game.

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 29 Feb 2020, 11:14

JIN JER wrote: 29 Feb 2020, 11:07

That second paragraph is complete rubbish mate, he brings the ball out of defence a hell of a lot, gives the forwards a bit of a break, he isn't the perfect winger (yet) but puts a good shift in every game.
I only see him on SKY, so obviously don't see what he does when you guys aren't televised, but from what I've seen he just doesn't make them metres. Compare that to Olpherts, who is arguably the best winger this season at gaining metres from his own half.

I don't see too much difference between Johnston and Eden's games, however, TJ seems to be the poster boy for wingers and Greg is contantly slammed.
Last edited by heritage1926 on 29 Feb 2020, 11:16, edited 1 time in total.

Mucky1978
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mucky1978 » 29 Feb 2020, 11:15

Jake connor got to be in there as well.

JIN JER
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by JIN JER » 29 Feb 2020, 11:34

heritage1926 wrote: 29 Feb 2020, 11:14
JIN JER wrote: 29 Feb 2020, 11:07
Thankfully TJ doesn't have as many brain f a rt s as Greg Eden.😄

I only see him on SKY, so obviously don't see what he does when you guys aren't televised, but from what I've seen he just doesn't make them metres. Compare that to Olpherts, who is arguably the best winger this season at gaining metres from his own half.

I don't see too much difference between Johnston and Eden's games, however, TJ seems to be the poster boy for wingers and Greg is contantly slammed.

JIN JER
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by JIN JER » 29 Feb 2020, 11:36

Don't know what happened there. 😄 In my opinion the only difference between TJ and Eden is TJ doesn't have as many brain f a r t s as Eden.

daytona
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by daytona » 29 Feb 2020, 11:45

George/Tom Burgess. Both in steady decline for the last five years. Poor engines, full of mistakes/ penalties, soft in defence and always injured. Good at getting contracts though, George is on an absolute fortune at Wigan.

Andrew6666
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Andrew6666 » 29 Feb 2020, 13:10

Sinfield - watching Leeds shoe horn him into any role free was obvious. Never commanded a position of his own, but was a good leader and could kick the ball dead - that was it.

Also Stevie Ward, just never seen what the hype was about. Bateman makes Ward look like a school boy player.

SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by SuffolkTiger » 29 Feb 2020, 21:43

Sonny Bill clearly making a strong bid for inclusion.

Looking like a terrible investment and making all the hype a little embarrassing

Swagger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Swagger » 01 Mar 2020, 10:38

SuffolkTiger wrote: 29 Feb 2020, 21:43 Sonny Bill clearly making a strong bid for inclusion.

Looking like a terrible investment and making all the hype a little embarrassing
I said this when he signed. He is no longer good at Rugby (any code) he has been bought to help grow the game in Toronto I believe but with how the team is playing they are just a laughing stock to Canada. I bet the news teams have give in already.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 01 Mar 2020, 10:47

I felt slightly uncomfortable watching SBW last night hope he finds some form tbh he was a great sight to watch a few years ago
Vince Lombardi

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @dphartshorne

Post by the machine » 01 Mar 2020, 10:58

SuffolkTiger wrote: 29 Feb 2020, 21:43 Sonny Bill clearly making a strong bid for inclusion.

On the decline? Most certainly
Overated? Definitely not

Dont have the career hes had by not putting in the big performances
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan