Eddie Hearn

Super League, National Leagues and the NRL
Danny Boy
Verified

Eddie Hearn

Post by Danny Boy » 17 Feb 2020, 10:07

Just read the below about Eddie Hearn, but can’t see Superleague clubs or even management giving him such powers.

Eddie Hearn says he remains open to the prospect of revamping Super League – but only if he is handed full control of the sport, report League Weekly.

Hearn told League Weekly: “If we’re going to revamp it, then we’re going to revamp it our way.

Thoughts of others?
Danny Boy

mdean
Academy Player
Academy Player
Twitter: Sacked social media

Re: Eddie Hearn

Post by mdean » 17 Feb 2020, 10:18

Honestly, I think someone like him could create a cross platform approach and mesh it with his stars and appeal in other places, he certainly can market and create a market and a PPV/Subscription based value proposition.

That being said, it will have to change, he will run a product with no emotional connection to where it started or why and to a large extent that is right, for a profitable future. I can't see RL Chairmen and the bodies which run the sport being open to that, it has been self serving for too long, a lot of tough decisions which should have been made haven't and we stay average.

St Albans tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by St Albans tiger » 17 Feb 2020, 11:45

Although the RFL have a lot to learn and have made some awful mistakes i would not trust that man to sell me a car let alone run professional rugby.

Yes he has achieved a lot with darts - but its still basically a "[REMOVED] up" for the lads - and quite frankly the whole product looks tacky - aprt from the fact that the players no longer drink at the board and a bit of music its still the same sport as in the 70's with just the fans getting absolutely leathered instead of the players.

mdean
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by mdean » 17 Feb 2020, 12:02

I agree fellow exile, it isn't culturally improved in terms of darts, but as a sport, viewing figures in the venue's and on Sky and when you look at the prize money in the Hearn versions of sport compared to others, I think it can be considered financially and sustainably successful.

That's kind of what I mean, it would change forever and make some harsh commercial decisions I am afraid. Arguably, if it is to survive and stay/become* (*delete as appropriate) relevant, then change is inevitable, 100 years of the same thing has had limited effect!

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 17 Feb 2020, 13:15

Any revamp means making it more appealing for the media, not the fans. One would hope they go hand in hand because what makes darts are the fans attending “en masse”. Any sport without fans in attendance doesn’t make good tv. Having said that, we need something.

mdean
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by mdean » 17 Feb 2020, 13:38

I don't know what the answer is, I am not clever enough, but I do know weight of history suggests that more of the same and parachuting in off-shoot franchises hasn't worked and is unlikely to create a sea-change anytime soon.

I was reading about the sports subscriptions model in the US, NBA pass and similar. It could be the sport de-couples from any TV subscription or license service and creates something stand-alone, it would be a big gamble, but might be worthwhile reviewing. I'd rather subscribe and be able to see every game and give the money to Rugby League than be artificially sustained by Sky?

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 17 Feb 2020, 16:44

Knock yasen out Eddie its all yours
CLASSY CAS FOREVER