Israel Folau

Super League, National Leagues and the NRL
heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Israel Folau

Post by heritage1926 » 28 Jan 2020, 13:43

Signed a one year deal for Catalan with immediate effect.

Rubbish bloke, but a ridiculously world class player.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Re: Israel Folau

Post by tigerfeat » 28 Jan 2020, 13:47

hes banned for saying hell awaits anybody whos gay int he?
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

mdean
Academy Player
Academy Player
Twitter: Sacked social media

Post by mdean » 28 Jan 2020, 13:55

banned by the ARU only.
Difficult area perceived religious views, however whatever he may or may not be as a person, as said above, if he is 60% of his best, he is still a talent.

braytontiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by braytontiger » 28 Jan 2020, 14:01

Wigan announce that there game vs Catalan will be pride day celebrating local lgbt and the community. Wonder of Mr folau will turn up

Really couldn’t make this up

mdean
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by mdean » 28 Jan 2020, 14:04

At only 30, pretty much could play anywhere he wanted except prop and be competent.

The sport has given worse offences a second chance, arguably at 30 with some fitness and form a better signing than SBW for on the field matters.

CasG

Post by CasG » 28 Jan 2020, 14:41

Boycott the Catalans away game, should send them a message if every club did it

mdean
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by mdean » 28 Jan 2020, 14:47

CasG wrote: 28 Jan 2020, 14:41 Boycott the Catalans away game, should send them a message if every club did it
Is it even an issue? *I am not giving an opinion either way, just asking a question*.

He has some beliefs which many people do not and I am sure several do. From my perspective at least he is open about it and I can make a decision about how I feel about him. My own personal upset is with those who propose to have no bias and discrinimaroty feelings on the face of it but act on it internally and pretend they dont.

Genuinely didn't expect to be contemplating this concept so deeply on this forum; again, if I as an administrator of the game, like the SBW logo's thread, I would be delighted, whether people are talking about it or coming to see an elite athlete, coming to abuse him or talking about it to criticise - the key thing is it is publicity sadly in this day in age.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 28 Jan 2020, 15:48

Simple have whatever beliefs you want but don't take the money from the sport your playing and then say things you know are going to bring the sport into a bad light
Vince Lombardi

CasG

Post by CasG » 28 Jan 2020, 15:56

mdean wrote: 28 Jan 2020, 14:47
CasG wrote: 28 Jan 2020, 14:41 Boycott the Catalans away game, should send them a message if every club did it
Is it even an issue? *I am not giving an opinion either way, just asking a question*.

He has some beliefs which many people do not and I am sure several do. From my perspective at least he is open about it and I can make a decision about how I feel about him. My own personal upset is with those who propose to have no bias and discrinimaroty feelings on the face of it but act on it internally and pretend they dont.

Genuinely didn't expect to be contemplating this concept so deeply on this forum; again, if I as an administrator of the game, like the SBW logo's thread, I would be delighted, whether people are talking about it or coming to see an elite athlete, coming to abuse him or talking about it to criticise - the key thing is it is publicity sadly in this day in age.

In 2020 it is an issue to have these beliefs and I believe our governing body should not be seen to be supporting these beliefs by allowing him to play in our sport. It gives a very bad message to LGBT players (Keegan Hirst has already posted on social media regarding his disappointment in RFL)

Free speech needs to have boundaries and for me his archaic views do cross that boundary and shouldn't be welcomed in rugby league.

Homophobia/Racism are not OK and many sports fans witnessed and were disgusted by it when England played Bulgaria, to me this is the same.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 28 Jan 2020, 16:08

It’s strange, because when St Helens signed Ben Barba, the RFL we’re insistent that any NRL ban would apply to Super League. They made Barba sit out his ban.
However, Folau is banned from returning to the NRL, but it’s okay for him to play in Super League.
I hope all Catalans sponsors withdraw their support. I wouldn’t want my company associated with a homophobe.

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @dphartshorne

Post by the machine » 28 Jan 2020, 16:14

CasG wrote: 28 Jan 2020, 15:56
mdean wrote: 28 Jan 2020, 14:47

In 2020 it is an issue to have these beliefs and I believe our governing body should not be seen to be supporting these beliefs by allowing him to play in our sport. It gives a very bad message to LGBT players (Keegan Hirst has already posted on social media regarding his disappointment in RFL)

Free speech needs to have boundaries and for me his archaic views do cross that boundary and shouldn't be welcomed in rugby league.

Homophobia/Racism are not OK and many sports fans witnessed and were disgusted by it when England played Bulgaria, to me this is the same.
"Just to be clear, had the RFL refused to register Israel Folau, they would have opened themselves up to being sued for a huge amount for restraint of trade. They and SL are privately appalled by what Catalans have done. 1/2

The NRL said he wasn’t wanted and all their clubs complied. Had they officially banned him, that ban could be upheld over here. But they didn’t. RFL hands are tied, Catalans have gone against the desperate pleas of every other SL club. 2/2"

From Dave Woods twitter account
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

TT Tiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TT Tiger » 28 Jan 2020, 16:17

I hate to say this but I think all clubs should follow Wigan’s lead(that sticks) and have a pride day when they face Catalan every player wear rainbow laces and offer them to the Catalan players. Show the rfl that they may be prepared to gloss over his past misdemeanours but the clubs aren’t going to take it. We do not tolerate hate speech in this country and that is exactly what he was spouting.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 28 Jan 2020, 16:18

Do cas get there 20k fine back for the garath Thomas chant.
The RFL seem to deem it ok for homophobic players to be in our sport.
Can’t have it both ways.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 28 Jan 2020, 16:24

He's also said people who have abortions will go to hell and the recent bush fires in Australia were the fault of homosexuals
Two days to the start of the season and we let the likes of him into a sport known for its inclusivity
Vince Lombardi

CasG

Post by CasG » 28 Jan 2020, 16:33

Cas should be having a Pride day when Catalans come to visit, there should be a sea of rainbow flags everywhere!

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 28 Jan 2020, 16:42

CasG wrote: 28 Jan 2020, 16:33 Cas should be having a Pride day when Catalans come to visit, there should be a sea of rainbow flags everywhere!

Flags on amazon 5ft by 3ft £3.99
Might invest just for that game.

braytontiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by braytontiger » 28 Jan 2020, 17:04

old cas lass wrote: 28 Jan 2020, 16:42
CasG wrote: 28 Jan 2020, 16:33 Cas should be having a Pride day when Catalans come to visit, there should be a sea of rainbow flags everywhere!

Why ? I go to watch rugby to get away from the stresses of life. Those that use this to push there own opinions onto people are just as bad as folau. I’m not homophobic and I’m very much in the opinion of each to there own but I don’t want it rammed down my throat either.
If you want to support the LGBT fine crack on with it but don’t bring it to rugby league grounds to score political correctness points. I know I’ll get some abuse for this but I know I’m not on my own in saying I don’t want to see protests of any kind in RL grounds.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 28 Jan 2020, 17:20

braytontiger wrote: 28 Jan 2020, 17:04

Why ? I go to watch rugby to get away from the stresses of life. Those that use this to push there own opinions onto people are just as bad as folau. I’m not homophobic and I’m very much in the opinion of each to there own but I don’t want it rammed down my throat either.
If you want to support the LGBT fine crack on with it but don’t bring it to rugby league grounds to score political correctness points. I know I’ll get some abuse for this but I know I’m not on my own in saying I don’t want to see protests of any kind in RL grounds.

So you reckon Wigan is wrong to fetch it to the match day when they play catalans.
I’m more pee’d off with the RFL, one rule for one and one fore another.

braytontiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by braytontiger » 28 Jan 2020, 17:30

old cas lass wrote: 28 Jan 2020, 17:20
braytontiger wrote: 28 Jan 2020, 17:04

So you reckon Wigan is wrong to fetch it to the match day when they play catalans.
I’m more pee’d off with the RFL, one rule for one and one fore another.
Absolutely Wigan are wrong it’s mischievous designed to gain publicity nothing more. Why not use the day against a different club then great.

End of the day I don’t believe in what Folau says but they are his opinions based on his religion, the RFLs hands are tied legally they cannot stop Catalan signing him bet they have set clear guidelines to which he’s got to conform to.
My point is clear let’s not distract from the rugby. If you feel the need to support the LGBT then go to a organised event and do it

BigBez10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by BigBez10 » 28 Jan 2020, 17:53

Anyone trying to defend the decision by Catalans (or the player himself) needs to give their head a proper wobble.

I wonder whether people would have the same reaction had Catalan signed an openly racist player...

The best way to not distract from the rugby was for Catalan not to have signed a homophobe.

For a sport that is struggling and wants to grow we don't half know how to shoot ourselves in the foot.