Israel Folau

Super League, National Leagues and the NRL
Andrew6666
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Israel Folau

Post by Andrew6666 » 01 Feb 2020, 18:17

Religion, the root of ALL evil. People can't accept progress or a forward thinking world, then hide behind an invisible being, that they cannot prove in anyway, whilst using fairytale books as a base to belief.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 04 Feb 2020, 17:41

BBC reporting most super league clubs are planning to take legal action against Catalans if they believe there's been a lose of earnings through loss of sponsors to the sport through them signing Folau
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 04 Feb 2020, 17:46

tigerfeat wrote: 04 Feb 2020, 17:41 BBC reporting most super league clubs are planning to take legal action against Catalans if they believe there's been a lose of earnings through loss of sponsors to the sport through them signing Folau

Also quite strong rumours that O’Neills are going to pull their contract with them.

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 04 Feb 2020, 19:40

hull kr owner niel hudgell (who i believe is a solicitor) informed catalan he would sue them for any financial loss due to folau as soon as they signed him. copies of the letter have been sent to other super league clubs.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 04 Feb 2020, 19:56

lurcher wrote: 04 Feb 2020, 19:40 hull kr owner niel hudgell (who i believe is a solicitor) informed catalan he would sue them for any financial loss due to folau as soon as they signed him. copies of the letter have been sent to other super league clubs.
I don’t think Catalans should have signed Folau, but Hudgell’s argument is ridiculous.
Catalans have no obligation to consider the finances of other clubs. They have done something that they believe will help them to be successful on the field. It’s a competitive sport and the underlying principle of sport is one of trying to be more successful than the other clubs.
If Hull KR go down and are replaced by London, can every other club sue Hull KR for financial loss as London don’t bring as many away supporters? Of course not.
Hudgell has made himself look silly.

Andrew6666
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Andrew6666 » 04 Feb 2020, 20:03

nottinghamtiger wrote: 04 Feb 2020, 19:56
lurcher wrote: 04 Feb 2020, 19:40 hull kr owner niel hudgell (who i believe is a solicitor) informed catalan he would sue them for any financial loss due to folau as soon as they signed him. copies of the letter have been sent to other super league clubs.
I don’t think Catalans should have signed Folau, but Hudgell’s argument is ridiculous.
Catalans have no obligation to consider the finances of other clubs. They have done something that they believe will help them to be successful on the field. It’s a competitive sport and the underlying principle of sport is one of trying to be more successful than the other clubs.
If Hull KR go down and are replaced by London, can every other club sue Hull KR for financial loss as London don’t bring as many away supporters? Of course not.
Hudgell is arguing it could damage the reputation of the sport and Super League as a brand, its not solely Hull KR he is fighting for. The guy is right and it's good to hear many clubs back him. I hope Folau never takes the field again and if Hudgell prevents this, then good on him. I would love Cas to publically back him.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 04 Feb 2020, 20:05

Andrew6666 wrote: 04 Feb 2020, 20:03
Hudgell is arguing it could damage the reputation of the sport and Super League as a brand, its not solely Hull KR he is fighting for. The guy is right and it's good to hear many clubs back him. I hope Folau never takes the field again and if Hudgell prevents this, then good on him. I would love Cas to publically back him.
He’s right, morally.
But Catalans don’t have any obligation to other clubs.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 04 Feb 2020, 20:26

nottinghamtiger wrote: 04 Feb 2020, 20:05
He’s right, morally.
You may well be right, but it depends whether there’s anything in RFL or Super League rules about damaging the sport he can hang his hat on. One thing mentioned in a report today was inadequate consultation with other clubs.

TT Tiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TT Tiger » 04 Feb 2020, 20:35

Could he not be granted a uk work permit because of hate speech? He isn’t an eu citizen? And he was employed after Brexit?

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 04 Feb 2020, 21:00

Tamworth Tiger wrote: 04 Feb 2020, 20:26
He’s right, morally.
You may well be right, but it depends whether there’s anything in RFL or Super League rules about damaging the sport he can hang his hat on. One thing mentioned in a report today was inadequate consultation with other clubs.
Could you imagine if every club had to consult with every other club before signing a player?
I agree with Hudgell that Catalans should not have signed him. But they have no obligation to consult and get the permission of other clubs when they sign a player, regardless of their reputation!

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 04 Feb 2020, 21:06

TT Tiger wrote: 04 Feb 2020, 20:35 Could he not be granted a uk work permit because of hate speech? He isn’t an eu citizen? And he was employed after Brexit?
He doesn’t need a UK work permit because he will be employed by a French company.
Likewise, I don’t think Brexit makes much of a difference to someone working in France.

TT Tiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TT Tiger » 04 Feb 2020, 21:09

nottinghamtiger wrote: 04 Feb 2020, 21:06
TT Tiger wrote: 04 Feb 2020, 20:35 Could he not be granted a uk work permit because of hate speech? He isn’t an eu citizen? And he was employed after Brexit?
He doesn’t need a UK work permit because he will be employed by a French company.
Likewise, I don’t think Brexit makes much of a difference to someone working in France.
Is it different when going to Toronto then as I know that some of the lower league clubs struggled as they couldn’t get visas for all of their players as they have had brushes with the law?

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 04 Feb 2020, 21:11

TT Tiger wrote: 04 Feb 2020, 21:09
nottinghamtiger wrote: 04 Feb 2020, 21:06
Is it different when going to Toronto then as I know that some of the lower league clubs struggled as they couldn’t get visas for all of their players as they have had brushes with the law?
Canada has a very stringent criteria for entry into the country. Any criminal record basically saw players refused entry.
Toronto claim they have resolved this now, but we’ll see when certain players have to travel over there.

Andrew6666
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Andrew6666 » 04 Feb 2020, 21:42

He’s right, morally.
Unfortunately you're spot on. Catalan 'should' have a moral obligation to the game and brand though. I wonder what would happen if they do start to lose sponsorships, maybe money will talk to Catalan louder than morals.

casjunction
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by casjunction » 04 Feb 2020, 22:05

Sport was corrupted long ago by money.
This individual was disenfranchised in his chosen sport because his views and rhetoric where incompatible with their values then unfortunately made him a hefty out off court settlement he then changed codes and our administration is too weak to say no.
It is wrong on so many levels and if Catalan or the RFL are not prepared to do anything l applaud any well reasoned way of keeping him and his bigotry out of our our sport.
Not that l would condone it nor would any reasonable person but what will the RFLs response be to any future homophobic chants from fans will they give them a dispensation if they if their religion deems it acceptable.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 04 Feb 2020, 22:47

Also worth remembering that Hudgell has no qualms about signing Todd Carney, who:
Urinated on someone in a nightclub.
Has multiple convictions for drink driving.
Has a conviction for reckless driving after a refusing to stop for police, resulting in a high-speed police chase (whilst still banned from driving due to his previous conviction).
Has a conviction for vandalism after an alcohol-fuelled attack on cars and building.
Set someone on fire during a new year’s eve ‘prank’.
Got sacked by Canberra
Got sacked by Sydney Roosters
Got sacked by Cronulla for an act that shall not be mentioned.

Or a Albert Kelly, who:
Has a conviction for vandalism.
Served a doping ban.
Was sacked by Cronulla for misconduct.
Was sacked by Newcastle for misconduct.

And that’s before we even get to Joel Tomkins, who Hudgell was quite happy to sign only weeks after he was verbally abusive to a woman in a Wigan pub.

As I say, I don’t like the fact that Catalans have signed Folau. But for Hudgell to be the one whinging about bringing the game into disrepute is hypocritical.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 04 Feb 2020, 22:57

nottinghamtiger wrote: 04 Feb 2020, 21:00

He’s right, morally.
Could you imagine if every club had to consult with every other club before signing a player?
I agree with Hudgell that Catalans should not have signed him. But they have no obligation to consult and get the permission of other clubs when they sign a player, regardless of their reputation!
Thanks for your clarification of the rules which apply in this situation. Wonder why Hudgell didn’t get some decent advice.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 04 Feb 2020, 23:00

Tamworth Tiger wrote: 04 Feb 2020, 22:57
nottinghamtiger wrote: 04 Feb 2020, 21:00
He’s right, morally.
Thanks for your clarification of the rules which apply in this situation. Wonder why Hudgell didn’t get some decent advice.
Like many people, he either didn’t seek advice or didn’t like it when it was given so ignored it.

St Albans tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by St Albans tiger » 05 Feb 2020, 07:39

No club has to seek the permission of any other club to sign a player - however they do have to register that player with the governing body - who in turn have a duty to ensure that the signing of that player does not bring in to question the reputation of the sport to which it governs.

Therefore by the RFL agreeing to register him to play in the English game they must consider if the signing has a negative impact on either its members or the game as a whole.

Given the Hull KR chairman is a solicitor and owns a large firm of solicitors - who deal with litigation (granted on a PI level) on a daily basis and who interact with Queens counsel regularly i would argue that his understanding around the RFL obligations as a governing body is a damn site better than anyone on this forums

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 05 Feb 2020, 08:19

St Albans tiger wrote: 05 Feb 2020, 07:39 No club has to seek the permission of any other club to sign a player - however they do have to register that player with the governing body - who in turn have a duty to ensure that the signing of that player does not bring in to question the reputation of the sport to which it governs.

Therefore by the RFL agreeing to register him to play in the English game they must consider if the signing has a negative impact on either its members or the game as a whole.

Given the Hull KR chairman is a solicitor and owns a large firm of solicitors - who deal with litigation (granted on a PI level) on a daily basis and who interact with Queens counsel regularly i would argue that his understanding around the RFL obligations as a governing body is a damn site better than anyone on this forums
Agreed - Hudgell would be better making waves with the RFL. Trouble is, that’s perhaps not the best idea. As Koukash found, making an enemy of the RFL doesn’t tend to end well.
PI is different world to commercial and employment law. However, I get the feeling that Hudgell knows there isn’t a legal case here - that’s why he’s not perusing one.