Israel Folau

Super League, National Leagues and the NRL
Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Re: Israel Folau

Post by Fumper27 » 28 Jan 2020, 18:02

People are too quick to jump on one aspect of his post. He also told the following that “Hell awaits them”:
Drunks
Adulterers
Liars
Fornicators
Thieves
Atheists
Idolaters
These are his religious beliefs, which he is fully entitled to. You don’t have to like or agree with them but you should respect his right to have them.

Is it ok to discriminate against Folau because of his beliefs? Or does that make you as bad as him?

All too quick in today’s world, people are looking at something to be offended or outraged at. Why can’t we just live and let live? The world would be a bloody boring place if we all did everything the same...

duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by duke street 10 » 28 Jan 2020, 18:31

Folau might think he's arrived "in Hell" when he see's the away dressing room Darn Lane.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 28 Jan 2020, 18:34

Does he have to have a visa to play in the UK.
If so could this stop him or will it make no difference from getting one.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 28 Jan 2020, 18:44

Fumper27 wrote: 28 Jan 2020, 18:02 People are too quick to jump on one aspect of his post. He also told the following that “Hell awaits them”:
Drunks
Adulterers
Liars
Fornicators
Thieves
Atheists
Idolaters
These are his religious beliefs, which he is fully entitled to. You don’t have to like or agree with them but you should respect his right to have them.

Is it ok to discriminate against Folau because of his beliefs? Or does that make you as bad as him?

All too quick in today’s world, people are looking at something to be offended or outraged at. Why can’t we just live and let live? The world would be a bloody boring place if we all did everything the same...
People jumped on one element of his post because it was homophobic. Sexuality is something that is rightly a protected characteristic, because it’s not something that someone can choose to be or not to be (unlike the other characteristics you mentioned). Whatever his beliefs, it’s completely unacceptable (and indeed a hate crime in the UK) to abuse or degrade people for their sexuality.
I’m afraid it’s the same as Islamic hate-preachers like Abu Hamza - you cannot say anything you like and then hide behind religious beliefs (however genuinely held), when what you’ve said is abusive and hateful.

Mucky1978
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mucky1978 » 28 Jan 2020, 18:47

braytontiger wrote: 28 Jan 2020, 17:04
old cas lass wrote: 28 Jan 2020, 16:42
CasG wrote: 28 Jan 2020, 16:33 Cas should be having a Pride day when Catalans come to visit, there should be a sea of rainbow flags everywhere!

Flags on amazon 5ft by 3ft £3.99
Might invest just for that game.
Why ? I go to watch rugby to get away from the stresses of life. Those that use this to push there own opinions onto people are just as bad as folau. I’m not homophobic and I’m very much in the opinion of each to there own but I don’t want it rammed down my throat either.
If you want to support the LGBT fine crack on with it but don’t bring it to rugby league grounds to score political correctness points. I know I’ll get some abuse for this but I know I’m not on my own in saying I don’t want to see protests of any kind in RL grounds.
I agree it’s rammed down ya throat these days.
Each to there own but even things like 2 men dancing together on a tv program is taking things to far.

But hey it’s the world we live in where people can’t have opinions.

BigBez10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by BigBez10 » 28 Jan 2020, 19:05

nottinghamtiger wrote: 28 Jan 2020, 18:44
Fumper27 wrote: 28 Jan 2020, 18:02 People are too quick to jump on one aspect of his post. He also told the following that “Hell awaits them”:
Drunks
Adulterers
Liars
Fornicators
Thieves
Atheists
Idolaters

People jumped on one element of his post because it was homophobic. Sexuality is something that is rightly a protected characteristic, because it’s not something that someone can choose to be or not to be (unlike the other characteristics you mentioned). Whatever his beliefs, it’s completely unacceptable (and indeed a hate crime in the UK) to abuse or degrade people for their sexuality.
I’m afraid it’s the same as Islamic hate-preachers like Abu Hamza - you cannot say anything you like and then hide behind religious beliefs (however genuinely held), when what you’ve said is abusive and hateful.
How aren’t people understanding this. It is exactly the same as Catalans signing someone who posts racist remarks all over the social media pages.

Absolute stain on our sport and extremely disappointing in this day and age.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 28 Jan 2020, 19:06

nottinghamtiger wrote: 28 Jan 2020, 18:44
Drunks
Adulterers
Liars
Fornicators
Thieves
Atheists
Idolaters

Absolutely

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 28 Jan 2020, 19:19

Did our club not get find for homophobic chants and we signed Zak after he'd been banned for homophobic comments so we can't take the high ground now.
CLASSY CAS FOREVER

Mucky1978
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mucky1978 » 28 Jan 2020, 19:29

SBW is just as bad.

BigBez10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by BigBez10 » 28 Jan 2020, 19:35

Mucky1978 wrote: 28 Jan 2020, 19:29 SBW is just as bad.
Because he’s Muslim?

Mucky1978
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mucky1978 » 28 Jan 2020, 19:39

People he calls friends.

Look them up.

BigBez10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by BigBez10 » 28 Jan 2020, 19:40

jackknife wrote: 28 Jan 2020, 19:19 Did our club not get find for homophobic chants and we signed Zak after he'd been banned for homophobic comments so we can't take the high ground now.
The fans who chanted are equally as disgusting. And if I remember correctly Zak apologised for his comments, which he made when he didn’t play for Castleford, and said he didn’t hold those opinions.

Those two examples are a bit different to someone openly being homophobic. Again, should you be more outraged if Catalan signed an openly racist player?

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 28 Jan 2020, 19:42

Mucky1978 wrote: 28 Jan 2020, 19:39 People he calls friends.

Look them up.
SBW is not responsible for the behaviour of his friends.
Israel Folau is responsible for the behaviour of Israel Folau.
See the difference?

alftupper
League One Player
League One Player

Post by alftupper » 28 Jan 2020, 20:02

I agree with Brayton here, I can’t abide all this faux outrage and over the top reactions. Dear oh dear.

There are nearly 3 million Muslims in the UK and recent polls suggest over half think homosexuality should be illegal in this country and people are getting their knickers in a twist over this

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 28 Jan 2020, 20:11

BigBez10 wrote: 28 Jan 2020, 19:40
jackknife wrote: 28 Jan 2020, 19:19 Did our club not get find for homophobic chants and we signed Zak after he'd been banned for homophobic comments so we can't take the high ground now.
The fans who chanted are equally as disgusting. And if I remember correctly Zak apologised for his comments, which he made when he didn’t play for Castleford, and said he didn’t hold those opinions.

Those two examples are a bit different to someone openly being homophobic. Again, should you be more outraged if Catalan signed an openly racist player?
Yea zak apologised then a few months later blow a kiss at Mark Flanagan if i remember correctly and called him a fa**it which you could clearly see from his lips but somehow escaped another ban after leeds claimed it was a witch hunt
CLASSY CAS FOREVER

Mucky1978
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mucky1978 » 28 Jan 2020, 20:13

Wonder if we tried to get rid of Moors to bring the lad in.
Would of been a great option at FB

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 28 Jan 2020, 20:33

old cas lass wrote: 28 Jan 2020, 17:20
CasG wrote: 28 Jan 2020, 16:33 Cas should be having a Pride day when Catalans come to visit, there should be a sea of rainbow flags everywhere!

Why ? I go to watch rugby to get away from the stresses of life. Those that use this to push there own opinions onto people are just as bad as folau. I’m not homophobic and I’m very much in the opinion of each to there own but I don’t want it rammed down my throat either.
If you want to support the LGBT fine crack on with it but don’t bring it to rugby league grounds to score political correctness points. I know I’ll get some abuse for this but I know I’m not on my own in saying I don’t want to see protests of any kind in RL grounds.

So you reckon Wigan is wrong to fetch it to the match day when they play catalans.
I’m more pee’d off with the RFL, one rule for one and one fore another.
I do OCL. Folau also talked about drunkards, Will they also have it alcohol free when they play Catalans or are they also being selective in which of his views to be offended by?

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 28 Jan 2020, 20:49

Fumper27 wrote: 28 Jan 2020, 20:33

So you reckon Wigan is wrong to fetch it to the match day when they play catalans.
I do OCL. Folau also talked about drunkards, Will they also have it alcohol free when they play Catalans or are they also being selective in which of his views to be offended by?
I don’t think you quite get the difference.
Homophobia (like racism) involves making hateful and derogatory comments about something that isn’t the choice of the individual or group who are being abused. It’s a crime in the UK.
He can say what he wants about drunkards and the like, because they have made a choice to live that lifestyle.
In essence, you can degrade people for their life choices (not that I think that’s especially nice), but you cannot degrade people for something they have not chosen (gender, race, skin colour, sexuality etc).

Squaddie86
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Squaddie86 » 28 Jan 2020, 21:04

Fumper27 wrote: 28 Jan 2020, 20:33

Actually the equivalence, if there is one to be drawn, to holding Pride day on the day they play the homophobe, would be if they held a celebration of beer - like an Ale festival or something on the day they play the man who's said drunkards are going to hell.

I'd absolutely go to that.

As for people who insist words to the effect that people are entitled to their opinions, or that those are his religious beliefs and should be respected:

1. People can hold opinions, but that does not mean freedom from consequences.

2. The idea that religious beliefs need to be respected is one of the most poisonous ones in this world, people treating "religious beliefs" like they're literally sacred is how certain people in the world get away with some horrific crimes.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 28 Jan 2020, 21:27

Religious beliefs have been responsible for despicable acts since religion began
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi