Aiden Sezer

Super League, National Leagues and the NRL
heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Aiden Sezer

Post by heritage1926 » 27 Nov 2019, 18:15

Signed for Huddersfield. 3 year deal. Good buy for them that.

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Re: Aiden Sezer

Post by mart0042 » 28 Nov 2019, 11:02

Like Ben Roberts at storm, he's a peripheral figure. He gets the ball when can Smith, cronk and slater didn't want it.

Only one half back is required when josh Hodgson plays and sezer was not the one, Wighton was. Now hudds are without a decent 9, I guess we'll see how good he is.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 29 Nov 2019, 11:21

mart0042 wrote: 28 Nov 2019, 11:02 Like Ben Roberts at storm, he's a peripheral figure. He gets the ball when can Smith, cronk and slater didn't want it.

Only one half back is required when josh Hodgson plays and sezer was not the one, Wighton was. Now hudds are without a decent 9, I guess we'll see how good he is.
Whilst I think your right in some respects, Sezer played a vital role in the Canberra team by completing their sets. He might not touch the ball in the first five tackles (or just make the simple pass), but come the last tackle he always got it spot on. His kicking for territory from his own half is excellent. His attacking kicks are accurate and led to many, many tries. His short kicking-game to force repeat sets is excellent. For Canberra, he ran the options on the last play and almost always chose the right option and executed it successfully.
For me, choosing and executing the right play at the end of a set is a vital part of the game. We saw what happened last season when we didn’t have anyone who could do it - poor choices, running on the last with little chance of success, kicks running over the dead ball line as nobody was chasing and the kick was poor (giving the opposition a 7 tackle set), kicks from our own half dropping right in front of the opposition full back or winger, numerous obvious drop-goals not attempted when the scores were level in the last five minutes and even kicking the ball out on the full from the kick-off multiple times in the same game.
You can bet your bottom dollar that Huddersfield don’t make these kind of mistakes next year if Sezer is running their last-play options and execution. Having someone in a team who gets those plays right can make a massive difference. Hopefully Richardson can play a similar role for us next year, but I would have been happy with Sezer in our team and think he would have given us something we were missing last year.

SWISS TONY!!
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by SWISS TONY!! » 29 Nov 2019, 11:48

Heard hes on silly money and hes a marquee signing. I watched him alot last year and I'm still suprised canberra let him go.
Long Live The Monkey Munch!!!

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by mart0042 » 29 Nov 2019, 12:31

nottinghamtiger wrote: 29 Nov 2019, 11:21
mart0042 wrote: 28 Nov 2019, 11:02 Like Ben Roberts at storm, he's a peripheral figure. He gets the ball when can Smith, cronk and slater didn't want it.

Whilst I think your right in some respects, Sezer played a vital role in the Canberra team by completing their sets. He might not touch the ball in the first five tackles (or just make the simple pass), but come the last tackle he always got it spot on. His kicking for territory from his own half is excellent. His attacking kicks are accurate and led to many, many tries. His short kicking-game to force repeat sets is excellent. For Canberra, he ran the options on the last play and almost always chose the right option and executed it successfully.
For me, choosing and executing the right play at the end of a set is a vital part of the game. We saw what happened last season when we didn’t have anyone who could do it - poor choices, running on the last with little chance of success, kicks running over the dead ball line as nobody was chasing and the kick was poor (giving the opposition a 7 tackle set), kicks from our own half dropping right in front of the opposition full back or winger, numerous obvious drop-goals not attempted when the scores were level in the last five minutes and even kicking the ball out on the full from the kick-off multiple times in the same game.
You can bet your bottom dollar that Huddersfield don’t make these kind of mistakes next year if Sezer is running their last-play options and execution. Having someone in a team who gets those plays right can make a massive difference. Hopefully Richardson can play a similar role for us next year, but I would have been happy with Sezer in our team and think he would have given us something we were missing last year.
I know what you mean, but I watched a lot of canberra 2019 and Hodgson did over 50% of the last play stuff.

What I do find strange that a club would not recontract one of their starting half's 2 years in a row. Blake Austin now sezer. Most teams want continuity but they, like GB should have, have done away with it because of Hodgson.

Sezer could be really good but he's got his work cut out at hudds.

mdean
Academy Player
Academy Player
Twitter: Sacked social media

Post by mdean » 29 Nov 2019, 12:47

Mart, I have been looking at this myself, in my own very dull private time, I kind of keep a weird moneyball type of register.

In APAC, I can only assume that cap pressure means you have a primary and a pivot, one you retain, one you consider functional and replaceable. Remains to be seen how Sezer goes, on paper looks great, I remember that bloke we signed who used to be in the halfs with John's and he wasn't quite so good when asked to do it on his own.

The gamble for Huddersfield is whether he is good in a good team, or capable of making a crap team better!

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by mart0042 » 02 Dec 2019, 10:47

mdean wrote: 29 Nov 2019, 12:47 Mart, I have been looking at this myself, in my own very dull private time, I kind of keep a weird moneyball type of register.

In APAC, I can only assume that cap pressure means you have a primary and a pivot, one you retain, one you consider functional and replaceable. Remains to be seen how Sezer goes, on paper looks great, I remember that bloke we signed who used to be in the halfs with John's and he wasn't quite so good when asked to do it on his own.

The gamble for Huddersfield is whether he is good in a good team, or capable of making a crap team better!
Your spot on. Its a strange situation over there that creates lots of halfbacks that eventually move to fullback to make space.

I think sezer will be out of his depth in a poor side. Hudds have some great juniors who just aren't ready yet. They look one of the favourites to be relegated and he will need a season like Hastings had to save them.