Toronto

Super League, National Leagues and the NRL
HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Re: Toronto

Post by HuddsTigers » 22 Oct 2019, 13:40

Indeed. Nothing stopping them from playing Saturday then Thurs in the UK.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

Squaddie86
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Squaddie86 » 22 Oct 2019, 16:59

Bolton-tiger wrote: 22 Oct 2019, 08:32
HuddsTigers wrote: 15 Oct 2019, 13:02 They will play their loop fixtures first so all teams only have to travel to Toronto once each.

The article says they are looking at double headers for the first few home games.

Thurs/Fri night games is a non-starter for the fact that Toronto is 6 hours beyond or so. Means it will be 1-2am in the UK fans. Won’t be good for Sky or for fans.

The compromise for me is that Toronto TV games are chosen for Saturday and the Thurs night games are dropped that week.
If they dont play thursdays or fridays then they have an advantage of a longer turn around where other clubs who have to play thursdays and fridays might only get a 4 day turn around so stright away they have an advantage over other clubs which stright away makes it abit unfair.rfl shouldnt move the goal post to suit torronto,torronto should neet everything the other sl clubs meet ie play thursdays and fridays
That to me is not really much different from teams who play all their home games on Fridays regardless of TV - teams like Wigan and Saints spring to mind. In any case I'm sure that Toronto will find themselves playing away games on Thursday nights just like everyone else. Sky will want one of their biggest selling points to advertisers on the TV.

duke street 10 wrote: 13 Oct 2019, 18:30
Swagger wrote: 13 Oct 2019, 17:03 Well I can't wait to go me. I hope we miss the expensive weeks.

I pre looked for June and it was about £300 flights and hotels ranged depending how nice you want it.
Im guessing the expensive weeks would be around Easter (2nd weekend in April i think next year) Canada Day (early July) and Labour Day (early September). They could have a bank holiday weekend in May but not sure when.

Yeah Canada Day is definitely expensive, I went for the Canada day game in 2016 v York City Knights and think return flights were around £800, and that was flying the cheapest midweek flights I could muster. I can't really speak for Hotel prices because whilst mine were expensive, it was a proper expensive hotel we stayed at as I took the family over for a holiday to celebrate something.

But yes, flights were expensive.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 29 Oct 2019, 12:17

Reported to have offered Sonny Bill 4.8 million to join them for 2020 ...gosh
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 29 Oct 2019, 13:37

tigerfeat wrote: 29 Oct 2019, 12:17 Reported to have offered Sonny Bill 4.8 million to join them for 2020 ...gosh
Don’t these teams ever learn?
Actually, Salford did. Having a couple of players paid so much more than anyone else in the squad breeds resentment and does nothing to help unity in the playing squad. When they signed the likes of Rangi, Tim Smith and Michael Dobson (among others) on massive contracts, they got nowhere.
SBW was a fantastic player and is still very good. But his injury record is just staggering. If they want to pay him that much, I think they are severely lacking in any sort of sports business acumen.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 29 Oct 2019, 18:47

Not so much about playing as it is commercial attractiveness and brand name pull.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 30 Oct 2019, 10:45

Sonny bill would be massive for the sport over here. If they can afford it, brilliant.

I hope they go for another aswell. Like to see these top players down the lane. I reckon it would put at least 1000 extra on the gate.

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 05 Nov 2019, 11:55

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/50299704

Sonny Bill Williams agrees to join Toronto on a 2 year deal. Will make his competitive debut against Castleford Tigers
Last edited by Fumper27 on 05 Nov 2019, 12:01, edited 2 times in total.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 05 Nov 2019, 11:58

massive coup for them and the sport ,cant wait for that first game
Vince Lombardi

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 05 Nov 2019, 12:16

On the plus side, it will raise the profile of the game and the Toronto club.
But I can’t help thinking they are making an expensive mistake in terms of on-field success. We’ve seen in the past that having one or two superstars doesn’t work when the rest of the squad are not SL standard.
They’ve now used up their two marquee spots for next year and beyond SBW and a couple of others who are decent SL-level players, I don’t see enough quality or depth to make me think they won’t go straight back down.
SBW is also 34 with a horrific injury record in recent years.
From a PR point of view, it’s probably a winner.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 05 Nov 2019, 12:25

I watched some of the all blacks game against Wales he looks super fit still and some of the passes he got away few players in super league could do
Wether financially it's correct remains to be seen like
Vince Lombardi

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 05 Nov 2019, 13:03

nottinghamtiger wrote: 05 Nov 2019, 12:16 On the plus side, it will raise the profile of the game and the Toronto club.
But I can’t help thinking they are making an expensive mistake in terms of on-field success. We’ve seen in the past that having one or two superstars doesn’t work when the rest of the squad are not SL standard.
They’ve now used up their two marquee spots for next year and beyond SBW and a couple of others who are decent SL-level players, I don’t see enough quality or depth to make me think they won’t go straight back down.
IMO, this is one of them signings where Toronto are doing it for more than just what they get on the field from him.

SBW is a rare commodity in Rugby League, his stock is massive all over the world. For Toronto to get his services, even this late in his career and regardless of what money he earns, is massive for Super League.

Attendances will increase because fans will want to see a player of his calibre at their own ground, Toronto and the brand Super League are now being talked about across all Social Media world wide.

Nobody
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Nobody » 05 Nov 2019, 13:22

heritage1926 wrote: 05 Nov 2019, 13:03
nottinghamtiger wrote: 05 Nov 2019, 12:16 On the plus side, it will raise the profile of the game and the Toronto club.
IMO, this is one of them signings where Toronto are doing it for more than just what they get on the field from him.

SBW is a rare commodity in Rugby League, his stock is massive all over the world. For Toronto to get his services, even this late in his career and regardless of what money he earns, is massive for Super League.

Attendances will increase because fans will want to see a player of his calibre at their own ground, Toronto and the brand Super League are now being talked about across all Social Media world wide.
What will it do for team morale with him being on big money though? He'll be getting paid in two seasons what it will take some players to earn in a life time.
🐯 COYF!

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @dphartshorne

Post by the machine » 05 Nov 2019, 13:32

Im sure the likes of Brierley and Ackers will get over it fairly quickly that they're not being paid a kings ransom like their newly acquired worldwide recognized superstar
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 05 Nov 2019, 13:59

Nobody wrote: 05 Nov 2019, 13:22

What will it do for team morale with him being on big money though? He'll be getting paid in two seasons what it will take some players to earn in a life time.
Who knows, but I'm sure the English contingency over there are pretty stoked to get the chance to play with SBW.

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 05 Nov 2019, 20:52

agree with this mate but can't wait to see him. i know he's fit though but he's 34 and his body has been through a lot.
wonder how many times he'll be named in the team only to drop out at the last minute once every one is in the ground.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

alftupper
League One Player
League One Player

Post by alftupper » 06 Nov 2019, 08:22

From running out to packed state of the art stadiums on the world stage to a dilapidated Wheldon Road in a few short months...

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 06 Nov 2019, 09:46

alftupper wrote: 06 Nov 2019, 08:22 From running out to packed state of the art stadiums on the world stage to a dilapidated BELLE VUE in a few short months...
Corrected 😉

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 06 Nov 2019, 10:34

They'll be able to say they trained and played with a legend. Professionalism rubs of. Great news for the sport.

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 06 Nov 2019, 13:33

alftupper wrote: 06 Nov 2019, 08:22 From running out to packed state of the art stadiums on the world stage to a dilapidated Wheldon Road in a few short months...
I'm sure he'll appreciate te hefty bank ballance visiting Cas will bring him. He may enjoy the atmosphere as well.
Spreading the Cas gene pool

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 06 Nov 2019, 15:34

Rumoured to be after manu tuillagi Valentine homes Ben teo and a player who's in the Nfl as well
Vince Lombardi