Toronto

Super League, National Leagues and the NRL
tigerfeat
Dale Fritz

Toronto

Post by tigerfeat » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:40 am

Ok who's going to be going there next season ;)

Derbyshiretiger
Sean Rudder

Re: Toronto

Post by Derbyshiretiger » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:16 am

I for one wont be. It's a mockery that they are even going to be in superleague. PSG All over again but worse. Totally unsustainable

Mucky1978
Junior Moors

Post by Mucky1978 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:38 am

When A lad I know who watches Hunslet went 3 year ago it was £900 for 3 nights.

tigerfeat
Dale Fritz

Post by tigerfeat » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:13 am

There will be plenty there in black and orange don't worry about that
I think theve done well for a place few years ago never heard of rugby league to get 10,000 sell out for a match

nottinghamtiger
Luke Gale

Post by nottinghamtiger » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:17 am

The worry is that they are already asking to play by different rules.
They want to play all their away games in the first half of the season and then play at home in the second half of the season. That’s just unfair in all the other clubs.
They think they should be allowed more quota players that the other clubs.
They think they should age a higher salary cap than the other clubs.
It won’t be long before they want immunity from relegation.
I have no real issue with them coming into SL, as they’ve earned it on the field. But they have to play by the same rules as everyone else,

tigerfeat
Dale Fritz

Post by tigerfeat » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:31 am

Yeah they have to play by same rules, I would imagine all this as been sorted out tho unless it just dawns on someone you ain't going to be playing outdoor rugby league in Toronto much before end of April
Last edited by tigerfeat on Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

braytontiger
Michael Eagar

Post by braytontiger » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:39 am

McDermott in a two minute interview as done them no favours what so ever. You don’t call the shots and upset the apple cart.
They have to play by the rules they cannot call all the shots. IMO it’s a sad for RL in the heartlands. We may need expansion but we also need grassroots clubs as without them we don’t have a game.

tigerfeat
Dale Fritz

Post by tigerfeat » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:44 am

Can't see it lasting long the logistics are just ridiculous

Matt
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @invmatt

Post by Matt » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:01 pm

braytontiger wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:39 am
McDermott in a two minute interview as done them no favours what so ever. You don’t call the shots and upset the apple cart.
They have to play by the rules they cannot call all the shots. IMO it’s a sad for RL in the heartlands. We may need expansion but we also need grassroots clubs as without them we don’t have a game.
He mentions Barcelona, New York, Toronto etc and how they'll be great for growing the game and attracting sponsors without considering anything else. Sure lets have all these teams in SL and watch the fan base die as a result. Stadiums will be half full with nothing but home fans and the logistics will becoming near impossible.

I'm interested in how Sky and the RFL are going to handle the fixtures next season. What happens if Sky decide to move a match from Sunday to Thursday as they already do at fairly short notice. There's a huge difference between not being able to make the match or losing £1000+ on flights etc.
Casforum is a non-profit website. We rely on donations and forum advertising to keep the site alive. Please don't block advertising - even if you don't click on the links you're still helping the website.

Read the AUP| Privacy Policy

Sharlotiger
Danny Orr

Post by Sharlotiger » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:22 pm

It now means there will be 2 teams in SL who can't play Thursday nights so even more games on that day for the English based clubs with more disruptions.
With all the likely fixture changes it may be time for Cas to bite the bullet and move to Friday nite fixture scheduling. so fans know where they stand when purchasing season tickets.

jackknife
Luke Gale

Post by jackknife » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:19 pm

Matt wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:01 pm
braytontiger wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:39 am
He mentions Barcelona, New York, Toronto etc and how they'll be great for growing the game and attracting sponsors without considering anything else. Sure lets have all these teams in SL and watch the fan base die as a result. Stadiums will be half full with nothing but home fans and the logistics will becoming near impossible.

I'm interested in how Sky and the RFL are going to handle the fixtures next season. What happens if Sky decide to move a match from Sunday to Thursday as they already do at fairly short notice. There's a huge difference between not being able to make the match or losing £1000+ on flights etc.
Catalan n Toronto wont play on Thursday nights

CLASSY CAS FOREVER

Matt
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @invmatt

Post by Matt » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:13 pm

jackknife wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:19 pm
Catalan n Toronto wont play on Thursday nights
I'm guessing they'll play both Easter fixtures away too then as you can't expect an English/French club to back up a fixture 3 days later in Canada?
Casforum is a non-profit website. We rely on donations and forum advertising to keep the site alive. Please don't block advertising - even if you don't click on the links you're still helping the website.

Read the AUP| Privacy Policy

derbystiger
Danny Orr

Post by derbystiger » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:53 pm

I’ll wait to see how the fixture list pans out now before renewing my season ticket. It’s an absolute joke that they should be allowed in. Carney summed it up perfectly ‘we now have a Canadian team in the European super league’. They can’t play at home for the first 2 months, they can sign who they like as they have no home grown players so the quota regs are a joke with them. They will be exempt last minute fixture changes, they’ll only play on weekends. Costs a fortune to travel there, on top of a Catalans trip. Ridiculous. I love Cas rugby league club but if this is the way the sport is going then I’ll find something else to do with my time. Going to watch Rangi at Doncaster sounds appealing at the moment.

braytontiger
Michael Eagar

Post by braytontiger » Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:09 pm

derbystiger wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:53 pm
I’ll wait to see how the fixture list pans out now before renewing my season ticket. It’s an absolute joke that they should be allowed in. Carney summed it up perfectly ‘we now have a Canadian team in the European super league’. They can’t play at home for the first 2 months, they can sign who they like as they have no home grown players so the quota regs are a joke with them. They will be exempt last minute fixture changes, they’ll only play on weekends. Costs a fortune to travel there, on top of a Catalans trip. Ridiculous. I love Cas rugby league club but if this is the way the sport is going then I’ll find something else to do with my time. Going to watch Rangi at Doncaster sounds appealing at the moment.
Pretty much my thoughts too. If this is the way RL is going I’m out.

stuey
Dean Widders

Post by stuey » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:47 pm

Same here. The whole Toronto being in SL, is a joke. How much cash in "away" support will they bring to Castleford or any of the other clubs, how many of the existing clubs supporters are going to go there?.

The RL will not be happy until in 10 years time they have a SL of Toronto, New York, Barcelona, Newcastle, Birmingham, London, Catalans, Toulose, Leeds, Hull, Wigan & Saints, with all the other teams demoted to the Championship. No "away" supporters waching any of the games, but hurrah we we have expanded SL!!