Wigan

Super League, National Leagues and the NRL
TT Tiger
League One Player
League One Player

Wigan

Post by TT Tiger » 05 Oct 2019, 19:01

There players have wasted no time on the end of season knees up. In Blackpool in fancy dress clearly feeling sorry for themselves. Or not.

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Re: Wigan

Post by lurcher » 05 Oct 2019, 23:43

if its blackpool it must be a punishment. lol
jo brand is eddie warings love child

TT Tiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TT Tiger » 06 Oct 2019, 16:13

Funnily enough mr hardacre was all smiles

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 07 Oct 2019, 10:35

think bevan french will be the wigan full-back next season and zak will be on his way somewhere else
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 07 Oct 2019, 11:19

tigerfeat wrote: 07 Oct 2019, 10:35 think bevan french will be the wigan full-back next season and zak will be on his way somewhere else
Where to? I think If French was going to be the manx he'd have been playing ahead of him already.

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 07 Oct 2019, 11:54

tigerfeat wrote: 07 Oct 2019, 10:35 think bevan french will be the wigan full-back next season and zak will be on his way somewhere else
Can't see it myself. However, only Huddersfield right now are in the market for a FB and could probably afford him. They made a play for him when he left Leeds and went to Penrith.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 07 Oct 2019, 12:04

looks like giants will announce aiden sezer this week as well according to league weekly ...on zak wigan may move him to centre my own view is he wont be there next season but we will see
Vince Lombardi

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 07 Oct 2019, 12:54

Not sure where they see French fitting in. They stated in the press release when he signed he could play in the halves so that was the expectation, with Leuluai in the back end of his career.

Could be that Hardaker moves to centre to replace Sarginson and they have Bibby as cover.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 07 Oct 2019, 16:43

league express reporting that canberra would like to raise their profile over here and fancy playing wigan next year on the same weekend as the wcc.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 07 Oct 2019, 16:49

heritage1926 wrote: 07 Oct 2019, 11:54
Can't see it myself. However, only Huddersfield right now are in the market for a FB and could probably afford him. They made a play for him when he left Leeds and went to Penrith.
They’ve signed Aston Golding.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 07 Oct 2019, 16:52

tigerfeat wrote: 07 Oct 2019, 12:04 looks like giants will announce aiden sezer this week as well according to league weekly ...on zak wigan may move him to centre my own view is he wont be there next season but we will see

Have to say I’ll be a little disappointed if they do.
I can understand us not getting him if he doesn’t want to come to SL, but if he’s happy to come to Huddersfield he should have been Gale’s replacement.
Again though, Danny Richardson might outplay him. There’s a long list of supposed NRL “stars” who don’t do well in SL and he could be the next on that list.
Time will tell, but in paper I’d have preferred Sezer to Richardson. Unless of course Richardson means we can sign quality elsewhere that we wouldn’t have been able to by signing Sezer!

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 07 Oct 2019, 17:02

nottinghamtiger wrote: 07 Oct 2019, 16:52
tigerfeat wrote: 07 Oct 2019, 12:04 looks like giants will announce aiden sezer this week as well according to league weekly ...on zak wigan may move him to centre my own view is he wont be there next season but we will see

I can understand us not getting him if he doesn’t want to come to SL, but if he’s happy to come to Huddersfield he should have been Gale’s replacement.
Again though, Danny Richardson might outplay him. There’s a long list of supposed NRL “stars” who don’t do well in SL and he could be the next on that list.
Time will tell, but in paper I’d have preferred Sezer to Richardson. Unless of course Richardson means we can sign quality elsewhere that we wouldn’t have been able to by signing Sezer!
Way I look at it, do you take a gamble and pay big bucks for someone who's 30 half way through next season, or pay a smaller fee of 60k for Richardson who is 23 and one for the future...

braytontiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by braytontiger » 07 Oct 2019, 17:36

heritage1926 wrote: 07 Oct 2019, 17:02

Way I look at it, do you take a gamble and pay big bucks for someone who's 30 half way through next season, or pay a smaller fee of 60k for Richardson who is 23 and one for the future...
Having a long term plan is great if your a big club that as no problem retaining it’s better players, imo for clubs like ours it’s all about now. We cannot afford a couple of poor years as the long term plan can quickly unravel as we’ve seen happen since 2017.
Remember the Richard Wright 5 year plan followed by another 5 year plan 2 years later. Where also now on Jon wells we want a major trophy plan, 2 years in and we look further away than when the statement was made.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 07 Oct 2019, 18:12

heritage1926 wrote: 07 Oct 2019, 17:02

He must age quickly because he’s only 28 and not 29 until June.
I would have preferred a half back with experience who has been first choice in a team that made the NRL Grand Final to a half who can’t get a place in the team we are trying to catch and didn’t do anything in the league below either.
Sezer will be allowed to leave for free, so would be cheaper than Richardson in that respect. But his wages would be significantly higher I suspect!
I could be wrong though. Richardson could be the next quality player that Saints let go, and Sezer could be the next NRL flop.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 08 Oct 2019, 10:22

the Mole on his twitter reports Brisbane are after Hastings for next year...
Vince Lombardi

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 08 Oct 2019, 11:24

lurcher wrote: 07 Oct 2019, 16:43 league express reporting that canberra would like to raise their profile over here and fancy playing wigan next year on the same weekend as the wcc.
Shouldn't be allowed as it detracts from the wcc. That should be the only gig in town.

daytona
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by daytona » 08 Dec 2019, 11:37

Gary Carter of the Sun, who is usually pretty accurate is reporting Jackson Hastings is having second thoughts about playing for Wigan. Sounds like he’s home in Australia and may not return to the UK. I would suspect he’s got a couple of bigger offers to play in the NRL by sounds of it. Massive blow for Wigan if true, particularly with them just releasing Sammut.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 08 Dec 2019, 11:45

daytona wrote: 08 Dec 2019, 11:37 Gary Carter of the Sun, who is usually pretty accurate is reporting Jackson Hastings is having second thoughts about playing for Wigan. Sounds like he’s home in Australia and may not return to the UK. I would suspect he’s got a couple of bigger offers to play in the NRL by sounds of it. Massive blow for Wigan if true, particularly with them just releasing Sammut.
Well that would hurt their chances next year in a very big way.
It’s always a risk signing someone with Hastings’ personality and temperament. People like him won’t think twice about walking out on a club at any time. To do it before he plays a game is unusual though!

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 08 Dec 2019, 12:53

He didn't seem overjoyed to be going there last season seemed to want to stay at Salford rarther than go to that scummy club
Vince Lombardi

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 08 Dec 2019, 13:00

tigerfeat wrote: 08 Dec 2019, 12:53 He didn't seem overjoyed to be going there last season seemed to want to stay at Salford rarther than go to that scummy club
He was only ever going to Wigan for a year. He made it well-known that he was looking to move to Australia for 2020, so I was surprised he signed there in the first place. He made sure his contract had a release clause for 2021.
Perhaps he didn’t get an offer from an NRL club, but now there has been some movement over there some clubs have the cap space to sign him.
I know it’s part of the game, but I thought things seemed odd when Salford played Wigan in the semi-final. I know it was a big game and both sets of players were desperate to win, but it seemed to go a bit beyond that between Hastings and some of the Wigan players. He’s well know for having to be the “biggest fish in the pond” and needing to have his ego stroked, and he got that at Salford. He’s also got a history of falling out with other players in the squad (and coaches) when things don’t go his way. Put him together with the likes of Hardaker, French and Burgess and you’ve got quite a volatile group of players. Perhaps he’s realised he won’t be hero-worshipped like he was at Salford and that he won’t be the centre of attention in training.
Regardless, if he’s got an offer to play in the NRL, we won’t be seeing him in a Wigan shirt.
Last edited by nottinghamtiger on 08 Dec 2019, 13:09, edited 1 time in total.