Gareth Thomas

Super League, National Leagues and the NRL
Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Gareth Thomas

Post by Fumper27 » 15 Sep 2019, 06:43

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-49675303

No mention of when he was diagnosed / confirmed as carrying the HIV virus.

casjunction
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Gareth Thomas

Post by casjunction » 15 Sep 2019, 09:06

Reading the article it would suggest he became aware in 2018 although other than to him and his husband it seems not anyone else's business assuming he has been faithful.
I have at times questioned his use of his sexuality as a business.
However there are still lots of prejudices out there and if his approach helps others who fear the reaction of coming out or not getting tested for HIV l applaud him.

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 15 Sep 2019, 09:23

casjunction wrote: 15 Sep 2019, 09:06 Reading the article it would suggest he became aware in 2018 although other than to him and his husband it seems not anyone else's business assuming he has been faithful.
However there are still lots of prejudices out there and if his approach helps others who fear the reaction of coming out or not getting tested for HIV l applaud him.
Agree CJ. Maybe I wasn’t clear. What I meant was did he get his diagnosis whilst still playing?

casjunction
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by casjunction » 15 Sep 2019, 09:43

Hi Fumper.
As l said from the article it would appear he received his diagnosis in 2018 however diagnosis and contracting HIV are two very different things.
I agree with him about the eighties information was not good.
I was working in a special school at the time and did some HIV awareness with the youngsters.
At the end of it, one teenager told me it was all a waste of time as no matter what he would die from Aids.
On asking him to explain he said the TV campaign said don't die of ignorance and he said everyone told him he was ignorant even his dad.
Remember the ad floating HIV icebergs don't die of ignorance.
At the time it both amused and annoyed me.
It was a reminder that what people hear may not always what you thought you had communicated.

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 16 Sep 2019, 00:01

Fumper27 wrote: 15 Sep 2019, 09:23
casjunction wrote: 15 Sep 2019, 09:06 Reading the article it would suggest he became aware in 2018 although other than to him and his husband it seems not anyone else's business assuming he has been faithful.
Agree CJ. Maybe I wasn’t clear. What I meant was did he get his diagnosis whilst still playing?
i can see where you're coming from fumper and i've a feeling he's got another book on the horizon and wants some publicity like he did last time when he blackened cas's name. i too wonder when he became aware because the blood bin was brought in for the very reason that HIV could be passed on through blood or other bodily fluids. if he knew whilst he was playing (and he wouldn't admit it if he did) its a criminal act.
i'm going to throw a huge curve ball in here. its the elephant in the room that no one else has ever seemed to have the courage to bring up. hard to say it any other way but if a team mate had declared himself gay would you feel uncomfortable stripping off/showering with him. would you worry he was looking at you in a sexual way.
i'm sure it would work just the same in the ladies game if a player outed herself as lesbian.
i am not biased one way or the other as i do have good friends who are gay. hard had on.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 16 Sep 2019, 09:57

In reality, each gender (or non gender) should have their own changing rooms if we follow the way the world is going.

My thoughts are "can any ground offer 7 or more changing rooms per team to possibly cater for all. We'd have no training field if we had to do it.

If you declared to you club you were of a different gender, they would have to provide you with the appropriate facilities of an appropriate standard or they could sue.

Is a sticky wicket all ends up but if it's illegal to ask the question of the player coming in, how can you make the correct decision on to offer them the position.

So many double entendres, but if there's anyone from hr who knows the answer. It would be interesting to find out.

Here's another conundrum.

If a Gay male can't be in a straight man's changing room or vice versa, in fear of being sexualised. What do you do, working on that theory, putting all the gay guys together would potentially mean everybody in the changing room being subject to sexualisation.

Or is the answer real simple. Separate changing areas for all?

thedogvinnie
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by thedogvinnie » 17 Sep 2019, 08:08

Fumper27 wrote: 15 Sep 2019, 06:43 https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-49675303

Who cares?

Once a liar always a liar

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 17 Sep 2019, 09:36

thedogvinnie wrote: 17 Sep 2019, 08:08

Who cares?

You’ve cared enough to comment Vinnie ;)

thedogvinnie
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by thedogvinnie » 17 Sep 2019, 15:23

Fumper27 wrote: 17 Sep 2019, 09:36
thedogvinnie wrote: 17 Sep 2019, 08:08

Who cares?

You’ve cared enough to comment Vinnie ;)
Only because a Yawnion liar should not grace the pages of an RL forum,

happy to help