Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Sam burgess

Post by old cas lass » 22 Feb 2021, 09:04

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Re: Sam burgess

Post by mart0042 » 22 Feb 2021, 11:10

A perfect signing for Wigan in the making.

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by FIat Capper » 22 Feb 2021, 11:55

If it is true, I think it's a sign of a man in turmoil. Divorced so lost his wife, reduced access to kids plus he's been found guilty of a crime.

I hope he can turn things around.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 22 Feb 2021, 11:58

Been reading a few posts on twitter that some aussies have commented on.
They want him deported, I’m sure he became an Australian citizen few years ago. Could be wrong.

mdean
Academy Player
Academy Player
Twitter: Sacked social media

Post by mdean » 22 Feb 2021, 17:02

Concur with Capper to an extent, scaled the heights and when you take off the kit and wash it all through, you're just left being a bloke at the end and that can't be easy. You can "be around the group" and train and anything you like, but you are no longer in that group and you're on the outside of a community he joined when he was about 10.

No excuse for some of the allegations, albeit there is some mitigation. Personally, I feel operating a vehicle while under the influence of anything is inexcusable, but I can see that it hasn't been necessarily easy.

alftupper
League One Player
League One Player

Post by alftupper » 22 Feb 2021, 20:23

Drug driving on his way to pick up his kids, a total disgrace if it turns out to be true. It is the way of the world these days for some to make excuses or at least offer mitigation for lawbreakers, you can see it already in this thread. A young millionaire with two kids and the rest of his life ahead of him and he’s been convicted of intimidating his ex father in law and now stopped for drug driving. I often think Rugby League is much like the army, drawn from poorly educated young men with little life prospects to look forward to, once the sheen of their media training fades they revert to type.

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by FIat Capper » 23 Feb 2021, 12:38

alftupper wrote: 22 Feb 2021, 20:23 Drug driving on his way to pick up his kids, a total disgrace if it turns out to be true. It is the way of the world these days for some to make excuses or at least offer mitigation for lawbreakers, you can see it already in this thread. A young millionaire with two kids and the rest of his life ahead of him and he’s been convicted of intimidating his ex father in law and now stopped for drug driving. I often think Rugby League is much like the army, drawn from poorly educated young men with little life prospects to look forward to, once the sheen of their media training fades they revert to type.
Genuinely not worth any comments in response...

Scoopage
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Scoopage » 23 Feb 2021, 16:57

mdean wrote: 22 Feb 2021, 17:02 Concur with Capper to an extent, scaled the heights and when you take off the kit and wash it all through, you're just left being a bloke at the end and that can't be easy. You can "be around the group" and train and anything you like, but you are no longer in that group and you're on the outside of a community he joined when he was about 10.

No excuse for some of the allegations, albeit there is some mitigation. Personally, I feel operating a vehicle while under the influence of anything is inexcusable, but I can see that it hasn't been necessarily easy.
Totally get where your coming from.now I know it’s by no means the level that sam burgess was at but I’d been playing amateur football since I was 10 years old and recently retired.the gap that leaves in your life is immense.not training or playing anymore is hard but most of all the camaraderie is what I really miss.it’s no excuse for what he’s done but I imagine the bloke is quite depressed and lonely at this moment.he’s had to retire through injury not through personal choice and I imagine that hurts more.hope he gets the help he clearly needs and can maybe get back into rugby league in some capacity

Scoopage
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Scoopage » 23 Feb 2021, 16:58

Scoopage wrote: 23 Feb 2021, 16:57
mdean wrote: 22 Feb 2021, 17:02 Concur with Capper to an extent, scaled the heights and when you take off the kit and wash it all through, you're just left being a bloke at the end and that can't be easy. You can "be around the group" and train and anything you like, but you are no longer in that group and you're on the outside of a community he joined when he was about 10.

Totally get where your coming from.now I know it’s by no means the level that sam burgess was at but I’d been playing amateur football since I was 10 years old and recently retired at 40.the gap that leaves in your life is immense.not training or playing anymore is hard but most of all the camaraderie is what I really miss.it’s no excuse for what he’s done but I imagine the bloke is quite depressed and lonely at this moment.he’s had to retire through injury not through personal choice and I imagine that hurts more.hope he gets the help he clearly needs and can maybe get back into rugby league in some capacity

scottiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by scottiger » 25 Feb 2021, 13:46

FIat Capper wrote: 23 Feb 2021, 12:38
alftupper wrote: 22 Feb 2021, 20:23 Drug driving on his way to pick up his kids, a total disgrace if it turns out to be true. It is the way of the world these days for some to make excuses or at least offer mitigation for lawbreakers, you can see it already in this thread. A young millionaire with two kids and the rest of his life ahead of him and he’s been convicted of intimidating his ex father in law and now stopped for drug driving. I often think Rugby League is much like the army, drawn from poorly educated young men with little life prospects to look forward to, once the sheen of their media training fades they revert to type.
Genuinely not worth any comments in response...
its a little harsh but there is a little truth too it tbh .
TM Out

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 25 Feb 2021, 14:05

Totally get where your coming from.now I know it’s by no means the level that sam burgess was at but I’d been playing amateur football since I was 10 years old and recently retired.the gap that leaves in your life is immense.not training or playing anymore is hard but most of all the camaraderie is what I really miss.it’s no excuse for what he’s done but I imagine the bloke is quite depressed and lonely at this moment.he’s had to retire through injury not through personal choice and I imagine that hurts more.hope he gets the help he clearly needs and can maybe get back into rugby league in some capacity
Get yourself into coaching scoopage even just as help that keeps the camaraderie going a few more years.
CLASSY CAS FOREVER

Scoopage
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Scoopage » 25 Feb 2021, 15:09

jackknife wrote: 25 Feb 2021, 14:05

Get yourself into coaching scoopage even just as help that keeps the camaraderie going a few more years.
I tried it buddy but amateur footy not in the best state of affairs.very hard to find 11 committed blokes every week.find yourself on the phone chasing people more than actually coaching.thanks for the suggestion tho mate

Derbyshiretiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Derbyshiretiger » 25 Feb 2021, 20:41

Some comments on here are a disgrace. How do we know what turmoil this guy is going through? We need to be very careful because the same guys slating him will he the first to say " who,d have thought " if we have another TN on the cards. Please be aware of how mental health works and how destroying it fan be.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 25 Feb 2021, 22:26

Derbyshiretiger wrote: 25 Feb 2021, 20:41 Some comments on here are a disgrace. How do we know what turmoil this guy is going through? We need to be very careful because the same guys slating him will he the first to say " who,d have thought " if we have another TN on the cards. Please be aware of how mental health works and how destroying it fan be.
Mental heath is almost at catastrophic levels, and has massive ramifications on individuals.
However, so does getting in a car under the influence of drink/drugs. The consequences can be absolutely tragic. Mental heath or not, everyone knows the potential damage they can cause by making that choice. He deserves every word of criticism he gets.

Derbyshiretiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Derbyshiretiger » 25 Feb 2021, 22:54

nottinghamtiger wrote: 25 Feb 2021, 22:26
Derbyshiretiger wrote: 25 Feb 2021, 20:41 Some comments on here are a disgrace. How do we know what turmoil this guy is going through? We need to be very careful because the same guys slating him will he the first to say " who,d have thought " if we have another TN on the cards. Please be aware of how mental health works and how destroying it fan be.
Mental heath is almost at catastrophic levels, and has massive ramifications on individuals.
However, so does getting in a car under the influence of drink/drugs. The consequences can be absolutely tragic. Mental heath or not, everyone knows the potential damage they can cause by making that choice. He deserves every word of criticism he gets.
Sorry dont agree. Mental health issues can make you make wrong decisions. And taking drugs or drink can be both if them

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 25 Feb 2021, 23:44

Derbyshiretiger wrote: 25 Feb 2021, 22:54
Sorry dont agree. Mental health issues can make you make wrong decisions. And taking drugs or drink can be both if them
If he can’t live his life without putting the lives of others at risk (or his own life) he needs to be detained under whatever Australia’s equivalent of the Mental Health Act is.
Most people with MH difficulties can and do still have the capacity to know the difference between right and wrong, and understand that actions have consequences. If he’s beyond that, action needs to be taken to protect him and others from the danger he poses.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 26 Feb 2021, 09:27

The allegations that the Sydney club were accused of trying to cover from his wife about beatings she took from him over a period of time including when she was pregnant make grim reading
He's then got in a car without the required liecence under the influence of drugs to pick up his very young kids
I wouldnt be making excuses for him myself personally
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Derbyshiretiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Derbyshiretiger » 26 Feb 2021, 13:59

Derbyshiretiger wrote: 25 Feb 2021, 22:54

I myself have had mental health issues and some of the decisions I have made would no doubt make some of you on here slag me off the same as SB. Do I condone the things hes accused of? No of course not but do i understand the dark places mental health can take you? Unfortunately yes i do. Dont judge anyone until you have walked a mile in his shoes. Some of the comments on here just show to me the lack of knowledge and unfortunately the lack of understanding of Mental health. The stigma has been broken they say. Well I'm not so sure. Stay safe every one

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by FIat Capper » 02 Mar 2021, 12:47

The blatant lack of understanding of the impact of mental illness on here shows why so many men choose to bottle it up.

It is crippling; your mind simply does not work. To suggest all these should be incarcerated is taking us ack to the Victorian era and definitely a retrograde step.

SB now has the opportunity to get help and support he may need to move towards the right direction but nothing i s guaranteed. That's how difficult mental illness is.

Derbyshiretiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Derbyshiretiger » 02 Mar 2021, 12:57

FIat Capper wrote: 02 Mar 2021, 12:47 The blatant lack of understanding of the impact of mental illness on here shows why so many men choose to bottle it up.

It is crippling; your mind simply does not work. To suggest all these should be incarcerated is taking us ack to the Victorian era and definitely a retrograde step.

SB now has the opportunity to get help and support he may need to move towards the right direction but nothing i s guaranteed. That's how difficult mental illness is.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: