Catalans v Castleford [R27 SL]

Relive the memories, all previous seasons match threads can be found in here.
yorky
Verified
League One Player
League One Player

Re: Catalans v Castleford [R27 SL]

Post by yorky » 13 Sep 2014, 19:01

TheSheriff wrote:
yorky wrote:We have still had great season.
That means literally nothing though.
I'm trying to stop myself becoming really cut out the swearing off ](*,)
Last edited by Sigon on 15 Sep 2014, 22:49, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed the swearing

decorator2
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by decorator2 » 13 Sep 2014, 19:03

TheSheriff wrote:
How can it mean nothing? I have had a fantastic season. I have not seen Cas seen so much exciting rugby in years. I have been to more away games this year than I have in recent years. Wembley - we lost yes, but another great day. It is very disappointing, but still a fantastic season. We won't be down a division, we still have games to finish the season. Of course we have still had a great season. To me it means literally everything. Each to his own.

yorky
Verified
League One Player
League One Player

Post by yorky » 13 Sep 2014, 19:06

decorator2 wrote:
TheSheriff wrote:
How can it mean nothing? I have had a fantastic season. I have not seen Cas seen so much exciting rugby in years. I have been to more away games this year than I have in recent years. Wembley - we lost yes, but another great day. It is very disappointing, but still a fantastic season. We won't be down a division, we still have games to finish the season. Of course we have still had a great season. To me it means literally everything. Each to his own.
Nice one, I feel the same & we must stay positive, if I had been offered a wembley runner up place & 4th in the league at the start of the season I would have been over the moon & that's what I'm sticking to!
Last edited by yorky on 13 Sep 2014, 19:07, edited 1 time in total.

TheSheriff
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TheSheriff » 13 Sep 2014, 19:07

"having a good day out" etc isn't what sport is about, win or nothing - that's how it is. Any other attitude (from the players for sure) means you get utter choke jobs like today & Wembley.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 13 Sep 2014, 19:13

TheSheriff wrote:"having a good day out" etc isn't what sport is about, win or nothing - that's how it is. Any other attitude (from the players for sure) means you get utter choke jobs like today & Wembley.
No it's not but it's also about accepting defeat, learning from it and kicking on like we did after Wembley and going to Saints and winning next week.
Who wants a hub cap anyway?

smarty_tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by smarty_tiger » 13 Sep 2014, 19:17

The club have done amazing to turn around such a terrible last season. To even be in contention for the challenge cup trophy and LLS is amazing and to finish 4th in the league above the likes of Warrington, Leeds, Catalan etc is remarkable. Today we were probably the worst we have been all season, but one game doesn't take away the fact we are the most spoke about club in the league and for the right reasons.
Last edited by smarty_tiger on 13 Sep 2014, 19:26, edited 1 time in total.

durhamtiger2
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by durhamtiger2 » 13 Sep 2014, 19:19

That's rubbish we learnt nothing from wembley. Going on that performance and don't think we will beat sts.
And yes I wanted the LLS as it shows your the best team over the season.

decorator2
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by decorator2 » 13 Sep 2014, 19:24

TheSheriff wrote:"having a good day out" etc isn't what sport is about, win or nothing - that's how it is. Any other attitude (from the players for sure) means you get utter choke jobs like today & Wembley.
You are right of course. However, it is all about enjoying the fruits of your labours. Without all the run up games the 'days out' don't happen. I did enjoy the day at Wembley when 12 other teams had to stay at home. You can't reward 'failure' but you can applaud the commitment we have shown over the year. I can't condemn the lads, they have had a punisihing schedule but they do seem to have run out of steam a bit of late. It is a game that's all about winning, but htis year, silverware or not, Cas are still winners for me.

Smudger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Smudger » 13 Sep 2014, 19:25

So do the 'best fans in the league' really expect these lads to go from bottom of the table, getting beat every other week, to being seasoned cool, calm and collected players capable of taking pressure in their stride and not panicking in one short season?

Come on, every game at this level is a completely new experience for us and nerves are bound to play a part - I've been on tenterhooks at our games for weeks myself and I don't have to go and get beat up with cheap shots by the likes of Henderson and Pelissier etc.

I agree that it's disappointing but I honestly feel our expectations have become totally unreasonable and for people to say they are embarrassed by our boys is just not fair. I cringed when I read it after Wembley and the same today. [-X

2013:
12th in the league
Pld W D L PF PA PD Pts
27 9 2 16 702 881 -179 20

Sold our best players, accused by the fans of having no ambition etc.

2014:
4th in the league
Pld W D L PF PA PD Pts
27 17 2 8 814 583 231 36

80 mins from winning the Challenge Cup
80 mins from winning the League Leaders Shield
And the ride still isn't over...

I think we've been great and based on results, the lads truly deserve to be seen as the best team we've had in the Super League era... Because this team has outdone the 1999 team.

So let's not get too embarrassed eh?

COYF!
Last edited by Smudger on 13 Sep 2014, 19:42, edited 1 time in total.
You don't want to do it like that! :) :) :)

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 13 Sep 2014, 19:26

durhamtiger2 wrote:That's rubbish we learnt nothing from wembley. Going on that performance and don't think we will beat sts.
And yes I wanted the LLS as it shows your the best team over the season.
Don't agree with that because Magic weekend distorts it anyway Saints lost to Wire while we walked over Wakey. That's why LLS Winners aren't Champions.Theres a lot of teams out of form at the moment, Leeds and Saints included. It's still game on. :?

yorky
Verified
League One Player
League One Player

Post by yorky » 13 Sep 2014, 19:39

in the dark old days a performance like today would have brought the suspicion of players not being on as much money as the opposition / bonuses weren't on, or there's been a dressing room bust up, I trust this is not the case & that our lads have done their best albeit not good enough. lets hope its a pressure situation & nothing else as we still have games left that could turn all this around. we are still in a very good place!

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 13 Sep 2014, 19:42

Didn't get the impression it was lack of effort based on first half defence.
Webster's injury disrupted everything and they tried too hard playing catch up

The Firm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by The Firm » 13 Sep 2014, 20:17

We choked again, simple as. Given the key players that are leaving then we may not get the chance again for a long time and we blew it. I reckon the mental toll coupled with the travelling and draining heat the lads have encountered this week i can't see a win next week.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 13 Sep 2014, 21:07

alftupper wrote:

let's be realistic, forget the grand final. The mental meltdown we have witnessed tonight has been spectacular to a point where the players are so nervous they have been incapable of holding the ball. To be honest I saw this coming after last Sundays second half performance when we just about hung on against a crap team full of loan players.

It's been a great season but ultimately we blew it on both occasions when silverware was only 80 minutes away.
100% agree.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 13 Sep 2014, 21:13

yorky wrote: if I had been offered a wembley runner up place & 4th in the league at the start of the season I would have been over the moon & that's what I'm sticking to!

But we could have had so much more, 2 games away from silver ware.
If we get to the GF will we bottle that one as well.

Its not about the season as a whole, yes we've over achieved, its about 2 games that meant something that we failed to produce.

Not sure how DP can get the boys back on the horse.
They seem to be mentaly drained and physically knackered.