worth a punt?

Players in ... Players out. Got a rumour? Post it in here.
covid tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: worth a punt?

Post by covid tiger » 02 Apr 2021, 07:53

dettoriman wrote: 01 Apr 2021, 05:51 I really hope not,

He’s a unit on his day but is very overrated and every year he’s not getting any younger

If we want success we have to model ourselves like Leeds. Build from youth which is what brought them their glory years.

They broke the mould spending big on him. And he’s plugged a gap - But he will end up at somewhere like Leigh should they survive. Basically someone where the owner has a few quid and wants to act like they’re major players.
A club like Leeds can keep players once developed but Cas are not able to keep talent.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 02 Apr 2021, 10:24

I think Cas could have done more over the years to hang onto it to be honest. For a lot of years we focused on journeymen Aussies and the last time I remember a whole crop of local talent being given the opportunity to develop was the needs must of the relegation years

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 02 Apr 2021, 11:04

covid tiger wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 07:53

He’s a unit on his day but is very overrated and every year he’s not getting any younger

If we want success we have to model ourselves like Leeds. Build from youth which is what brought them their glory years.

They broke the mould spending big on him. And he’s plugged a gap - But he will end up at somewhere like Leigh should they survive. Basically someone where the owner has a few quid and wants to act like they’re major players.
A club like Leeds can keep players once developed but Cas are not able to keep talent.
Our of interest, in your opinion, who has left Cas and kicked on in their careers? I can’t think of any from recent times. Even Darryl Clark, after winning both MoS and Young MoS in the same season, regressed when he first went to Warrington and is only just looking like the player we had in 2014. Westerman, Arundal, Thompson, Chase even further back to Tony Smith, Danny Orr, etc didn’t look as good once they left Cas

MrRugby123
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by MrRugby123 » 02 Apr 2021, 11:51

Fumper27 wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 11:04
covid tiger wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 07:53

Our of interest, in your opinion, who has left Cas and kicked on in their careers? I can’t think of any from recent times. Even Darryl Clark, after winning both MoS and Young MoS in the same season, regressed when he first went to Warrington and is only just looking like the player we had in 2014. Westerman, Arundal, Thompson, Chase even further back to Tony Smith, Danny Orr, etc didn’t look as good once they left Cas
Luke Gale looked good last year for Leeds but with the amount of money we received and the age he is at I think we got a good deal.

covid tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by covid tiger » 02 Apr 2021, 11:55

Won a challenge Cup... 125k or a challenge Cup.. That's why we don't win things unfortunately

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 02 Apr 2021, 12:30

I think that’s a very simplistic way of looking at it. Another would be that we got a very good deal for someone who was past 30, had hardly played in 2 years and who wanted (by all accounts) to leave the club.