McMeekan

Players in ... Players out. Got a rumour? Post it in here.
frainthepain
Academy Player
Academy Player

McMeekan

Post by frainthepain » 05 Feb 2020, 10:28

Interesting reading this morning about Ben Murdoch-Masila returning to the NRL in 2021 and that Warrington are leading a dual code race to sign Castleford Back row McMeekan as his replacement.

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Re: McMeekan

Post by Fumper27 » 05 Feb 2020, 11:29

You got a link pal?

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 05 Feb 2020, 12:11

To be honest, I’m starting to wonder whether McMeeken was just in the form of his life in 2017 (as with many of our players).
He’s done nothing since then.
Will be interesting to see what happens with him. He signed a contract when he was the best back-rower in the league, but he’s been nowhere near that level for two years. If he is expecting a pay rise, we could be better off letting him leave. Contracts work both ways; players who perform expect to be rewarded with more money when they re-negotiate, but McMeeken has declined since his last deal was agreed and therefore we certainly shouldn’t be paying him more to stay with us.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 05 Feb 2020, 12:24

Id be looking to let him go early and bring another player in now if thats possible ,Pains me to say but i could see him going to warrington and look a world beater
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Danny Boy
Verified

Post by Danny Boy » 05 Feb 2020, 14:27

For what it's worth, I think McMeeken was good last season, unfortunately, like many of our players, he's been injured a fair bit, probably even played with injuries. I'm hoping we keep him, but worst case scenario and he decides he wants to leave, let's hope we can do it before his current contract expires and we get a stash of cash for him from moneybags at Wire and sign a quality replacement.
Danny Boy

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 05 Feb 2020, 20:49

Never cease to be amazed
They can’t talk to him til May can they?
Or has he informed the club he is leaving? If so what disloyalty.
Audacter Et Sincere

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 05 Feb 2020, 23:54

Mysterio wrote: 05 Feb 2020, 20:49 Never cease to be amazed
They can’t talk to him til May can they?
Or has he informed the club he is leaving? If so what disloyalty.
and leeds should have waited 2 years before talking gale ;)
last interview i saw with meeks he said he was aware of lots of interest from other clubs but at the moment he was happy at cas and always had been.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

scottiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by scottiger » 06 Feb 2020, 02:46

Tbh on his day he can be unplayable. But some games you don't even realise he's on the pitch . That + injuries I don't think its worth us breaking the bank to keep him .
TM Out

Piquad1
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Piquad1 » 06 Feb 2020, 05:56

Money money money if he want to go just go. I'm sick to death of players who come to our club and enhance their performance 100 percent and stab us in the back and move on. When will we learn.

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 06 Feb 2020, 07:53

Piquad1 wrote: 06 Feb 2020, 05:56 Money money money if he want to go just go. I'm sick to death of players who come to our club and enhance their performance 100 percent and stab us in the back and move on. When will we learn.
And when will supporters realise that a rugby career is a short one, so players want to get out of it what they can, whilst they can?

I don’t begrudge anyone who “uses” our club in that way. To me, it means that they’ve performed well whilst playing for us, which is all I ask for.

TT Tiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TT Tiger » 06 Feb 2020, 07:54

Piquad1 wrote: 06 Feb 2020, 05:56 Money money money if he want to go just go. I'm sick to death of players who come to our club and enhance their performance 100 percent and stab us in the back and move on. When will we learn.
How is moving on at the end of a contract stabbing us in the back? If he is going to a new club on better pay we clearly got value for money that’s how I see it. It’s a short career and they don’t get paid a fortune.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 06 Feb 2020, 10:23

Fumper27 wrote: 06 Feb 2020, 07:53
And when will supporters realise that a rugby career is a short one, so players want to get out of it what they can, whilst they can?

I don’t begrudge anyone who “uses” our club in that way. To me, it means that they’ve performed well whilst playing for us, which is all I ask for.
He’s had one good year.
With maybe a dozen good games dotted here and there.

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 06 Feb 2020, 10:57

old cas lass wrote: 06 Feb 2020, 10:23

He’s had one good year.
So are we bothered if he moves on if he’s so inconsistent?

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 06 Feb 2020, 11:00

Like my old school report "could do better" would be on there somewhere
Vince Lombardi

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 06 Feb 2020, 11:09

Fumper27 wrote: 06 Feb 2020, 10:57

He’s had one good year.
Personally I’m not bothered.
Like you say he’s far to inconsistent.

I’ve accepted we are a feeder club.
Top clubs with plenty of ££££££’s will always be sniffing.
We bring players into the club as nobodies, Powell makes them somebody then the rich clubs say thanks daryl, we’ll have him.
Sadly it will always be like that.
The ones we keep are usually our own cas lads, for example.
Holmes
Milner
Clare
Shenton
So there you go, don’t be to surprised in the next 2/3yrs trueman and Richardson will be off, with bigger contracts from the Richer clubs.
Watch this space.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 06 Feb 2020, 11:20

He’s had one good year.
As with many retention and recruitment decisions, I don’t think it’s a matter of whether we want to keep him or not; it’s a matter of how much percentage of the salary cap he takes up and whether he is worth it.
I’d like to keep McMeeken. But if he’s asking for more money, I could completely understand the club not giving him that. He’s not done anything to warrant a pay rise since he signed his current deal towards the end of 2017. If he can get more money than we think he’s worth at another club, that’s fine.
On a more general note, I wish the club were a little more ruthless with retention. If we want to keep him, offer him a deal now and say he has until the end of April to sign it. If he wants to take his chances of getting more money elsewhere come May, he is more than welcome to do so - but don’t expect our offer to still be there. If he wants to test his worth on the open market, we’ll so the same from the club’s point of view and may well offer his wage to someone else. This would leave him in a weak negotiating position with other clubs.
We saw what happened when Latrell Mitchell thought he could hold Sydney Roosters to ransom - the club took a stand, withdrew their contract offer and he ended up having to take less money than he was offered in the first place. Wakefield did it with Hampshire too - he thought he was worth more than he was so he left the club. He then signed on a lower deal than he was originally offered when he realised that he was in a weak negotiating position.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 06 Feb 2020, 11:27

old cas lass wrote: 06 Feb 2020, 11:09

He’s had one good year.

We bring players into the club as nobodies, Powell makes them somebody then the rich clubs say thanks daryl, we’ll have him.
Holmes
Milner
Clare
Shenton
So there you go, don’t be to surprised in the next 2/3yrs trueman and Richardson will be off, with bigger contracts from the Richer clubs.
Watch this space.
Very few players have left cas and gone on to be better players maybe him and anybody else should think on that ,personally if him or anybody else like Gale want away -see ya later -weve always brought good players into cas and will continue to do that
Vince Lombardi

Piquad1
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Piquad1 » 06 Feb 2020, 12:17

Ok point taken statement retracted.😀

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 06 Feb 2020, 12:21

tigerfeat wrote: 06 Feb 2020, 11:27

He’s had one good year.

Holmes
Milner
Clare
Shenton
Watch this space.
Very few players have left cas and gone on to be better players maybe him and anybody else should think on that ,personally if him or anybody else like Gale want away -see ya later -weve always brought good players into cas and will continue to do that
Absolutely tigerfeat.
It’s a chance they take.

Andrew6666
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Andrew6666 » 06 Feb 2020, 13:04

tigerfeat wrote: 06 Feb 2020, 11:27

He’s had one good year.

Holmes
Milner
Clare
Shenton
Watch this space.
McMeeken is a good age for Cas to retain, that is my only concern, getting someone better at that age to mould into our structure.
Letting Gale go for cash was a no brainer, he was the wrong side of 30 and long term injury risk. Richardson was primed to replace Gale. Who replaces McMeeken?