Isn’t it marvellous..

Players in ... Players out. Got a rumour? Post it in here.
Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Isn’t it marvellous..

Post by Mysterio » 15 Oct 2019, 11:14

To be linked to absolutely nobody.

Dare Wells state that we’re strong enough and don’t need to further recruit after Richardson is announced?

I find it excruciatingly disappointing and predictable how we have slipped 2017. Typical Castleford.

Why isn’t there anybody who dare put their neck on the line and take some tough or speculative decisions. There’s a rebuild that needs starting in earnest and it starts now.
Audacter Et Sincere

duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Isn’t it marvellous..

Post by duke street 10 » 15 Oct 2019, 11:34

Pretty obvious the money is accounted for to be looking at anyone else.

If you look at 2017. The best two players of that squad have gone,who in turn made a fair few of the squad look better than their long,improved deals are worth.

Add to that a drop in crowds,ground up keep etc 2020 looks a make do,hope for the best and hope we don't have a lot of injuries.

Given we have dropped 2 league places a season since winning the League Leaders Shield are we looking at 7th next year?

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 15 Oct 2019, 11:40

Not many clubs spend a lot of money buying players out of contract we are one of few clubs who have done that recently

There should be room on the salary cap now no reason to not go into next season with a strong side
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 15 Oct 2019, 12:00

Plenty of time yet. NRL clubs won’t be done yet and will be shifting players around trying to create cap space.

In true Cas fashion, I’d rather wait for the right people to become available than panic buy because fans demand it.

We have a decent squad that needs some changes here and there.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 15 Oct 2019, 12:42

Mysterio wrote: 15 Oct 2019, 11:14 To be linked to absolutely nobody.

Dare Wells state that we’re strong enough and don’t need to further recruit after Richardson is announced?

I find it excruciatingly disappointing and predictable how we have slipped 2017. Typical Castleford.

Why isn’t there anybody who dare put their neck on the line and take some tough or speculative decisions. There’s a rebuild that needs starting in earnest and it starts now.
It’s the lack of planning that is frustrating, I think, and how much we lag behind other teams in this respect.
There was nothing we could do about the full back spot at the start of 2018. By the time Hardaker was banned, they were all tied up elsewhere. But we still haven’t got a proper full-back and we’ll be rolling into 2020 with a player who we signed as a last resort when Gale picked up his injury. Whilst Rankin has had a few good games, he’s not at a level to be an attacking threat against a top team.
Then there was the Webster issue. We knew he was going early in 2018, yet come 2019 we had nobody as a replacement. In the end, we ended up making a mid-season overseas buy and they very rarely come off straight away.
Apart from Watts, there is nobody in the current squad who has improved our first choice 17 in the last two seasons. As a result, we’ve declined dramatically as other clubs have improved. At the end of 2017, we finished 10 points above the club in second place. This year, we’ve finished 22 points behind the team in first place. We’ve gone from first (by a mile) to fourth to fifth (just), and the gap has got wider every time.
However, the club don’t see it unfortunately. They’d rather blame injuries or rot out the salary cap line (despite the fact the other clubs have exactly the same cap).
I still think our biggest problem is retention though, and the long contracts we give to players who have done little to deserve them. That ties our hands in terms of recruitment.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 15 Oct 2019, 12:50

HuddsTigers wrote: 15 Oct 2019, 12:00 Plenty of time yet. NRL clubs won’t be done yet and will be shifting players around trying to create cap space.

In true Cas fashion, I’d rather wait for the right people to become available than panic buy because fans demand it.

Wells as been in the job long enough now to have everybody in place we need for 2020
Vince Lombardi

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 15 Oct 2019, 12:52

The decision to let Gale go frees up cap space to be able to recruit elsewhere. Recruitment should not and doesn’t ever stop. Even if we had the bones of the squad in place, things can change.

I’d like to think we are actively trying to let a few players go and bring a few players in. As ever with these kind of things, it is usually a domino effect with one deal contingent on another happening.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 15 Oct 2019, 12:54

HuddsTigers wrote: 15 Oct 2019, 12:00 Plenty of time yet. NRL clubs won’t be done yet and will be shifting players around trying to create cap space.

How does this help when we’ve filled our non-fed spots? Unless it’s a player who doesn’t count on the non-fed quota (and I can’t see any of those moving clubs now), we can’t sign whoever is not needed.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 15 Oct 2019, 12:58

We free up space. That’s what the club have to decide. They may even be able to pursue an exemption for Millington by now from being non-fed too.

It may also impact other clubs who would be willing to let go other players to free up cap space to sign overseas players.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 15 Oct 2019, 13:04

HuddsTigers wrote: 15 Oct 2019, 12:58 We free up space. That’s what the club have to decide. They may even be able to pursue an exemption for Millington by now from being non-fed too.

It may also impact other clubs who would be willing to let go other players to free up cap space to sign overseas players.
Why would Millington be exempt from the non-fed list? He was 26 when he signed for us, so is way off the requirement of playing three seasons at a federated club before the age of 21.

There may well be a secondary impact in terms of other clubs releasing players to accommodate new NRL signings, but you have to ask - why would we want a player who isn’t wanted by his current club?

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 15 Oct 2019, 13:11

Because the board can grant exemptions including length of stay in the UK and residency. For me, the club have to push every avenue to get an advantage.

Depends on who is available. For example, I’d take a fit Ikahihifo from Huddersfield if we could free up a spot. It’s hard to say when we can’t see all the moving pieces or what is available.

And just because we haven’t been linked doesn’t mean nothing isn’t happening either. There’s a month or so until preseason starts.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 15 Oct 2019, 13:18

HuddsTigers wrote: 15 Oct 2019, 13:11 Because the board can grant exemptions including length of stay in the UK and residency. For me, the club have to push every avenue to get an advantage.

Depends on who is available. For example, I’d take a fit Ikahihifo from Huddersfield if we could free up a spot. It’s hard to say when we can’t see all the moving pieces or what is available.

And just because we haven’t been linked doesn’t mean nothing isn’t happening either. There’s a month or so until preseason starts.
I’m always in favour of trying to gain an advantage, but the only exemptions from the non-fed quota have been players who have signed before the rule existed and players who have been left without a club after liquidation. The non-fed rule is about where the player was developed before the age of 21, not citizenship or residency or how long they’ve been in the UK. The club were refused an exemption to the rule for Denny Solomona (who was only non-fed by a number of days) so I doubt they’d be successful in getting Millington an exemption.
I’d like to think there’s plenty going on in the background, but I’m afraid I just don’t think there is. My hope is that we’re in secret negotiations with Salford over Evalds and we’ll announce him in a shock move, but again I doubt it.

TheSheriff
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TheSheriff » 15 Oct 2019, 13:22

The first batch of inflated Steve Gill contracts come to an end after next season, that'll free up the cap room to actually make meaningful improvements. Let's see what Wells does with an actual decent amount of cap space to use.

classycas57
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by classycas57 » 15 Oct 2019, 13:26

Yes we need at least one more good one after Richardsons announced. The club are causing lots of irritation to many loyal fans lately.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 15 Oct 2019, 13:32

TheSheriff wrote: 15 Oct 2019, 13:22 The first batch of inflated Steve Gill contracts come to an end after next season, that'll free up the cap room to actually make meaningful improvements. Let's see what Wells does with an actual decent amount of cap space to use.
Yes no question the nonsense that went on before he arrived put him on the back foot ...
Vince Lombardi

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 15 Oct 2019, 14:43

classycas57 wrote: 15 Oct 2019, 13:26

Yes we need at least one more good one after Richardsons announced. The club are causing lots of irritation to many loyal fans lately.
Maybe they will realise when the lack of season ticket sales occur

steadygetyerboots-on
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by steadygetyerboots-on » 15 Oct 2019, 15:49

nottinghamtiger wrote: 15 Oct 2019, 12:42

It’s the lack of planning that is frustrating, I think, and how much we lag behind other teams in this respect.
There was nothing we could do about the full back spot at the start of 2018. By the time Hardaker was banned, they were all tied up elsewhere. But we still haven’t got a proper full-back and we’ll be rolling into 2020 with a player who we signed as a last resort when Gale picked up his injury. Whilst Rankin has had a few good games, he’s not at a level to be an attacking threat against a top team.
Then there was the Webster issue. We knew he was going early in 2018, yet come 2019 we had nobody as a replacement. In the end, we ended up making a mid-season overseas buy and they very rarely come off straight away.
Apart from Watts, there is nobody in the current squad who has improved our first choice 17 in the last two seasons. As a result, we’ve declined dramatically as other clubs have improved. At the end of 2017, we finished 10 points above the club in second place. This year, we’ve finished 22 points behind the team in first place. We’ve gone from first (by a mile) to fourth to fifth (just), and the gap has got wider every time.
However, the club don’t see it unfortunately. They’d rather blame injuries or rot out the salary cap line (despite the fact the other clubs have exactly the same cap).
I still think our biggest problem is retention though, and the long contracts we give to players who have done little to deserve them. That ties our hands in terms of recruitment.
That’s pretty much how I see it Notts & is why I won’t be buying a season ticket for next season. Last year was the first in around 15-20 years where I haven’t had one. It’s never been about games I could attend as I’m in a fortunate position financially, but I couldn’t stomach the feeling of being mugged off by comments like “we’re happy with the squad” & “it’ll challenge for honours” when it was as clear as the nose on my face that we’d stood still, marvelling at the reflection of a good team (2017) yet again. I still attend games & pay on the door so the club haven’t lost revenue, but I was left feeling that the only way I could let them know how infuriated I was by their lack of planning &, in my opinion, poor recruitment & retention was to let the season ticket numbers fall. Can you guess how many calls I’ve had asking why I didn’t renew for last year or whether I’d be interested in taking one up again? I’ll give you a clue; it’s the same amount of calls I’ve had to let me know that my club lotto numbers, & thus, my subscriptions, have lapsed! It would appear that the club has enough money & isn’t interested in, what I consider to be, the most basic efforts in customer retention.
"Stand by me as I stand by you, be brave and dare to dream".

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 15 Oct 2019, 16:16

Steve Gill used to ring you if you hadn't renewed your ticket I remember been on the phone to him twenty minutes once while he went over what I thought could be done better
Vince Lombardi

thedogvinnie
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by thedogvinnie » 15 Oct 2019, 19:23

TheSheriff wrote: 15 Oct 2019, 13:22 The first batch of inflated Steve Gill contracts come to an end after next season, that'll free up the cap room to actually make meaningful improvements. Let's see what Wells does with an actual decent amount of cap space to use.
All well and good , but do we know if the money is to be used on playing staff or paying some of Jacks money back. We are Cas, we make do and mend it has always been so, How i wish we had the brass to do otherwise

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 15 Oct 2019, 19:44

thedogvinnie wrote: 15 Oct 2019, 19:23
All well and good , but do we know if the money is to be used on playing staff or paying some of Jacks money back. We are Cas, we make do and mend it has always been so, How i wish we had the brass to do otherwise
I think he’s had a decent bit of space. We’re going into 2020 without Gale’s salary so he’s now had the highest-earner off the books. Not to mention Hardaker’s salary (we hadn’t signed a replacement when Wells came in) when he first arrived and then Roberts’ salary. To say his hands have been tied completely I think is giving him too much benefit of the doubt.
Then there are the long contracts Wells has doled out to players who hadn’t done much to earn them (Holmes, Foster, Clare, Massey), the ridiculously long contract for Shenton and some long contracts for players unwanted by other clubs (Ellis).
Wells has tied his own hands in many respects.