Isn’t it marvellous..

Players in ... Players out. Got a rumour? Post it in here.
thedogvinnie
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Isn’t it marvellous..

Post by thedogvinnie » 16 Oct 2019, 09:32

HuddsTigers wrote: 16 Oct 2019, 08:46 And the trouble is people like Manfredi and Marshall are happy to play for less because it’s their own hometown club where they know they are going to be involved in finals. Two of those practically costs 1 Sosaia Feki, which is the problem when fans call for NRL signings.
Unless they are employing the "mrs Radlinski" accounting methods yet again, and why not, they never get punished for it do they

KB80
League One Player
League One Player

Post by KB80 » 16 Oct 2019, 10:41

Mysterio wrote: 16 Oct 2019, 06:12
KB80 wrote: 16 Oct 2019, 00:33 I don't mind the look of our squad for next year to be honest.

I think we have done s reasonable job of restructuring our backs from how we started last year.

FB Rankin > Matuiti (as a full back)
W Feki > Claire
C Blair > Minikin
C Shenton
W Eden
HB Trueman (a year older and experienced)
HB Richardson > Rankin (as a half back)

Back ups
Claire > Gill
Olpherts > Egodu
Matuiti > Foster (at centre)
Elllis
Turner

And made some upgrades to our forwards (although Moors and Millingtons age and injuries could mean we are weaker in the forwards despite the upgrades).

Griffin > Clarkson
Smith > Clarke
Hepi - Maher

I think Richardson could be exciting for us and expect him to find his 2018 form. Would prefer a new full back to be honest but cant see anyone available that woukd be an improvement on Rankin at present.

Wouldnt be surprised to see Matuiti start to shine at centre and take one of the starting spots. With consistent game time as a centre.

I would imagine next year would be a forwards restructure with Moors and Milli OOC.

Commercial side of the club is more worrying imo as I mentioned on the attendance post.

It bugs me how we claim to be up to the cap limit. Where is io Wigan having manfredi Davies Marshall and burgess as WING back ups says it all to me
Wigan also have Tony Clubb as a starting 17 man

KB80
League One Player
League One Player

Post by KB80 » 16 Oct 2019, 10:57

Mysterio wrote: 16 Oct 2019, 06:12
KB80 wrote: 16 Oct 2019, 00:33 I don't mind the look of our squad for next year to be honest.

I think we have done s reasonable job of restructuring our backs from how we started last year.

FB Rankin > Matuiti (as a full back)
W Feki > Claire
C Blair > Minikin
C Shenton
W Eden
HB Trueman (a year older and experienced)
HB Richardson > Rankin (as a half back)

Back ups
Claire > Gill
Olpherts > Egodu
Matuiti > Foster (at centre)
Elllis
Turner

And made some upgrades to our forwards (although Moors and Millingtons age and injuries could mean we are weaker in the forwards despite the upgrades).

Griffin > Clarkson
Smith > Clarke
Hepi - Maher

I think Richardson could be exciting for us and expect him to find his 2018 form. Would prefer a new full back to be honest but cant see anyone available that woukd be an improvement on Rankin at present.

Wouldnt be surprised to see Matuiti start to shine at centre and take one of the starting spots. With consistent game time as a centre.

I would imagine next year would be a forwards restructure with Moors and Milli OOC.

Commercial side of the club is more worrying imo as I mentioned on the attendance post.
Decent efforts of spin pal but fooling nobody. Have you seen how other squads look and perform.

We finished 4th/5th with a an injury plagued squad. So 3/4 performed better than us. 2/3 of which use marque allowance which we don't and 2 of which have access to a vast array of young home grown talent.

Have other teams improved their squads more than us for next year? Yeah I beleive they probably have. But they finances to do so and are using marque allowance to do so.

That doesn't change the fact our starting 17 for next season (assuming we don't have any major preseason injuries) looks better than last year's 17 at the start of the season.

For me we really could do:
Bringing in an improved Full back (getting shut of Ellis, using Rankin as back up half/full back) and;

Bringing in a big no nonsense Prop (if Moors isn't going to be back in the frame)

The prop is do-able I'd imagine but what full backs are likely to be available?

Before anyone says Evalds, he's contracted and would be valued higher then Gale was on the transfer market and seems perfectly happy were he is - he simply isn't available.

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 21 Oct 2019, 20:03

Can you believe or accept Wells claims we’re skint on the cap front?
I suppose it’s a more solid excuse than last years’ ‘we don’t need to strengthen’

As I said initially, make some tough calls Jon. Show you have the bottle and foresight for the job in hand. Make a bloody success of us. Earn your title (and money?)
Audacter Et Sincere

Bolton-tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Bolton-tiger » 22 Oct 2019, 08:21

Sorry but i tink we still need to stengthen our squad,you look at salford amd wakey they are strengthening on a lower spend than what we are and they are getting good quality players for that to,salford are chasing kinehorse from kr and seb iki from hudds,both improvements.imagine him and pauli pauli starting front rowers for salford.even wakeys been linked with capewell from sharks for next year and just signed wood from salford to and yet we still hardly do nothing.lose 10 players and sign 6 isnt good for me especailly when we have extra from gales money and the extra from torrontos central funding to.that surley has to be 2 good players there

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 22 Oct 2019, 08:29

Bolton-tiger wrote: 22 Oct 2019, 08:21 Sorry but i tink we still need to stengthen our squad,you look at salford amd wakey they are strengthening on a lower spend than what we are and they are getting good quality players for that to,salford are chasing kinehorse from kr and seb iki from hudds,both improvements.imagine him and pauli pauli starting front rowers for salford.even wakeys been linked with capewell from sharks for next year and just signed wood from salford to and yet we still hardly do nothing.lose 10 players and sign 6 isnt good for me especailly when we have extra from gales money and the extra from torrontos central funding to.that surley has to be 2 good players there
And once again look who has left, all championship standard players on peanuts. Everybody wanted these gone, they've gone bit gives us very little cap space.

Richardson weont be on Gales money so best we can hope for would be 1 more with what's left over from Gales wage.

Our main issue is all the daft contract extensions off back of 2017 and let's be fair the big boys that year were p*ss poor and we still managed not to win the GF.

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 22 Oct 2019, 09:30

Bolton-tiger wrote: 22 Oct 2019, 08:21 Seb iki from hudds, imagine him and pauli pauli starting front rowers for salford.
A front row that would need to be subbed off after 10 minutes. Give me ours any day of the week

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 22 Oct 2019, 10:51

Bolton-tiger wrote: 22 Oct 2019, 08:21 Sorry but i tink we still need to stengthen our squad,you look at salford amd wakey they are strengthening on a lower spend than what we are and they are getting good quality players for that to,salford are chasing kinehorse from kr and seb iki from hudds,both improvements.imagine him and pauli pauli starting front rowers for salford.even wakeys been linked with capewell from sharks for next year and just signed wood from salford to and yet we still hardly do nothing.lose 10 players and sign 6 isnt good for me especailly when we have extra from gales money and the extra from torrontos central funding to.that surley has to be 2 good players there
i read there were two nrl clubs after Capewell zero chance he will end up at Wakefield ...i would have thought
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 28 Oct 2019, 10:50

Wells says it again in this mornings paper little room on the salary cap and no one else planned to come in before the start of next season...
Vince Lombardi

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 28 Oct 2019, 11:06

tigerfeat wrote: 28 Oct 2019, 10:50 Wells says it again in this mornings paper little room on the salary cap and no one else planned to come in before the start of next season...
But if players retire or are sold then we'll hit the market.

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 28 Oct 2019, 13:18

Which paper?

Quite unbelievable IMO.

I mean does anyone else not have concerns?
Audacter Et Sincere

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 28 Oct 2019, 13:19

Mysterio wrote: 28 Oct 2019, 13:18 Which paper?

Quite unbelievable IMO.

Can only assume Richo has come in on megabucks...
Audacter Et Sincere

Nobody
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Nobody » 28 Oct 2019, 13:23

mart0042 wrote: 28 Oct 2019, 11:06
tigerfeat wrote: 28 Oct 2019, 10:50 Wells says it again in this mornings paper little room on the salary cap and no one else planned to come in before the start of next season...
Still rumours of Ellis to Leigh floating around, can't see that freeing up too much cash though
🐯 COYF!

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 28 Oct 2019, 13:29

Quite unbelievable IMO.

league express ....cant see how weve no salary cap left or even close to it ,he goes on to say if we went with the squad we have now i would be very excited for 2020 or something like that cant remember his exact words
Vince Lombardi

KB80
League One Player
League One Player

Post by KB80 » 28 Oct 2019, 13:30

Quite unbelievable IMO.

Yep. Wonder if we backloaded a couple of contracts (Millo, Moors for example).

Nobody
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Nobody » 28 Oct 2019, 13:53

Nobody wrote: 28 Oct 2019, 13:23
Still rumours of Ellis to Leigh floating around, can't see that freeing up too much cash though
I'm convinced something is wrong at the club, how can you offload your highest earner and bring in a new player on half his salary (supposedly) and not have any cap space left and have expectations of not signing anyone else.
🐯 COYF!

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by mart0042 » 28 Oct 2019, 14:13

Truey will have an upgrade on his contract you'd have thought.

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by mart0042 » 28 Oct 2019, 14:14

Truey will have an upgrade on his contract you'd have thought. Maybe watts aswell.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 28 Oct 2019, 14:21

Nobody wrote: 28 Oct 2019, 13:53
I'm convinced something is wrong at the club, how can you offload your highest earner and bring in a new player on half his salary (supposedly) and not have any cap space left and have expectations of not signing anyone else.
He didn't say we had "no cap space". His comments have been misquoted.

He said "we live in a salary cap sport and we have to work within the confines of the salary cap". He also said "if the right player came along and we could make that work, then why not?"

Essentially, he's saying we've got the cap space available if the right player came along that would improve the squad. But once again, we aren't going to blow what space we have on just anyone, especially if they're demanding too much.

What may also be another factor that people exclude is that many of the players may have performance bonuses built into their contracts outside of their basic wage that could count on the cap at the end of the season. For example, we may offer say Richardson, an extra £5k if we make the top 4 (just an example, not fact). That has to count on the cap.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

Nobody
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Nobody » 28 Oct 2019, 14:23

HuddsTigers wrote: 28 Oct 2019, 14:21
Nobody wrote: 28 Oct 2019, 13:53
He didn't say we had "no cap space". His comments have been misquoted.

He said "we live in a salary cap sport and we have to work within the confines of the salary cap". He also said "if the right player came along and we could make that work, then why not?"

Essentially, he's saying we've got the cap space available if the right player came along that would improve the squad. But once again, we aren't going to blow what space we have on just anyone, especially if they're demanding too much.

What may also be another factor that people exclude is that many of the players may have performance bonuses built into their contracts outside of their basic wage that could count on the cap at the end of the season. For example, we may offer say Richardson, an extra £5k if we make the top 4 (just an example, not fact). That has to count on the cap.
Apologies if that's what's been said, I've not actually seen it or read it was just going off what folk on here have said.
🐯 COYF!