Isn’t it marvellous..

Players in ... Players out. Got a rumour? Post it in here.
sparky49
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Isn’t it marvellous..

Post by sparky49 » 15 Oct 2019, 21:54

nottinghamtiger wrote: 15 Oct 2019, 19:44

I think he’s had a decent bit of space. We’re going into 2020 without Gale’s salary so he’s now had the highest-earner off the books. Not to mention Hardaker’s salary (we hadn’t signed a replacement when Wells came in) when he first arrived and then Roberts’ salary. To say his hands have been tied completely I think is giving him too much benefit of the doubt.
Then there are the long contracts Wells has doled out to players who hadn’t done much to earn them (Holmes, Foster, Clare, Massey), the ridiculously long contract for Shenton and some long contracts for players unwanted by other clubs (Ellis).
Wells has tied his own hands in many respects.
I very much doubt that John Wells has doled the length and cost of contracts out. He is responsible for talking to players that Powell is interested in, he will not have hold of the purse strings surely this will be the directors.

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 15 Oct 2019, 22:15

It’s time for JON WELLS to explain how he thinks we move forward to challenge again and his opinion on the strength of the current playing group. He’d better choose his words carefully because if he says were in a position of strength I’m not renewing either.

If there’s not any comment at all, I know of 7 people in my family who won’t be renewing and that is NOT a laughing matter as far as I am concerned.

We need action for god sake.

I am SICK AND TIRED of people going on about lack of manouverability with the cap; I mean have you seen our squad compared to the top performing clubs! Our players don’t earn anywhere near what theirs do overall, so how can we be up to the cap. Where’s the proof.
Audacter Et Sincere

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 15 Oct 2019, 22:15

And notts tiger, everything you have said is bang on...
Audacter Et Sincere

classycas57
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by classycas57 » 15 Oct 2019, 22:45

We are all fed up with the club,it's obvious

KB80
League One Player
League One Player

Post by KB80 » 16 Oct 2019, 00:33

I don't mind the look of our squad for next year to be honest.

I think we have done s reasonable job of restructuring our backs from how we started last year.

FB Rankin > Matuiti (as a full back)
W Feki > Claire
C Blair > Minikin
C Shenton
W Eden
HB Trueman (a year older and experienced)
HB Richardson > Rankin (as a half back)

Back ups
Claire > Gill
Olpherts > Egodu
Matuiti > Foster (at centre)
Elllis
Turner

And made some upgrades to our forwards (although Moors and Millingtons age and injuries could mean we are weaker in the forwards despite the upgrades).

Griffin > Clarkson
Smith > Clarke
Hepi - Maher

I think Richardson could be exciting for us and expect him to find his 2018 form. Would prefer a new full back to be honest but cant see anyone available that woukd be an improvement on Rankin at present.

Wouldnt be surprised to see Matuiti start to shine at centre and take one of the starting spots. With consistent game time as a centre.

I would imagine next year would be a forwards restructure with Moors and Milli OOC.

Commercial side of the club is more worrying imo as I mentioned on the attendance post.

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 16 Oct 2019, 06:12

KB80 wrote: 16 Oct 2019, 00:33 I don't mind the look of our squad for next year to be honest.

I think we have done s reasonable job of restructuring our backs from how we started last year.

W Feki > Claire
C Blair > Minikin
C Shenton
W Eden

Back ups
Claire > Gill
Olpherts > Egodu
Elllis
Turner

And made some upgrades to our forwards (although Moors and Millingtons age and injuries could mean we are weaker in the forwards despite the upgrades).

Griffin > Clarkson
Smith > Clarke
Hepi - Maher

I think Richardson could be exciting for us and expect him to find his 2018 form. Would prefer a new full back to be honest but cant see anyone available that woukd be an improvement on Rankin at present.

Wouldnt be surprised to see Matuiti start to shine at centre and take one of the starting spots. With consistent game time as a centre.

I would imagine next year would be a forwards restructure with Moors and Milli OOC.

Commercial side of the club is more worrying imo as I mentioned on the attendance post.
Decent efforts of spin pal but fooling nobody. Have you seen how other squads look and perform.

Would Wigan or any other top 4 take olpherts because he's not wanting a big wage like egodo for example

Who else would regard rankin as a good enough positive step going forward !

It bugs me how we claim to be up to the cap limit. Where is io Wigan having manfredi Davies Marshall and burgess as WING back ups says it all to me
Audacter Et Sincere

thedogvinnie
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by thedogvinnie » 16 Oct 2019, 07:59

classycas57 wrote: 15 Oct 2019, 22:45 We are all fed up with the club,it's obvious
Im not fed up with the club, believe me these are halcyon days compared to some of the [REMOVED] i have seen over the last 50 years

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 16 Oct 2019, 08:22

Mysterio wrote: 16 Oct 2019, 06:12
KB80 wrote: 16 Oct 2019, 00:33 I don't mind the look of our squad for next year to be honest.

W Feki > Claire
C Blair > Minikin
C Shenton
W Eden

Back ups
Claire > Gill
Olpherts > Egodu
Elllis
Turner

Griffin > Clarkson
Smith > Clarke
Hepi - Maher

Decent efforts of spin pal but fooling nobody. Have you seen how other squads look and perform.

Would Wigan or any other top 4 take olpherts because he's not wanting a big wage like egodo for example

Who else would regard rankin as a good enough positive step going forward !

It bugs me how we claim to be up to the cap limit. Where is io Wigan having manfredi Davies Marshall and burgess as WING back ups says it all to me
The club claim we spend the cap and we probably do just not very wisely. What do people want, the club to publish all players wages to prove we do indeed spend the full cap ?

Part of the problem is that we continually offer inflated contracts to those not really deserving it.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 16 Oct 2019, 08:42

Would Wigan sign Olpherts? No, because they produce their own players and have 4 decent wingers. Clear difference between clubs is Wigan’s ability to produce and retain their own vs having to sign new players.

Would Wigan sign Willie Isa, Romain Navarrete? Yes, they have done in the past. Every team has squad players.

They signed Hastings because Williams has left (marquee for marquee?).

They have signed Jake Bibby to replace Sarginson. Mitch Clark is a replacement for the bloke they had last year that got a drugs ban. Only the George Burgess signing stands out and I think that’s more of a signing to try and reverse attendance falls/long term replacement for people like O’Loughlin.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 16 Oct 2019, 08:46

And the trouble is people like Manfredi and Marshall are happy to play for less because it’s their own hometown club where they know they are going to be involved in finals. Two of those practically costs 1 Sosaia Feki, which is the problem when fans call for NRL signings.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

thedogvinnie
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by thedogvinnie » 16 Oct 2019, 09:32

HuddsTigers wrote: 16 Oct 2019, 08:46 And the trouble is people like Manfredi and Marshall are happy to play for less because it’s their own hometown club where they know they are going to be involved in finals. Two of those practically costs 1 Sosaia Feki, which is the problem when fans call for NRL signings.
Unless they are employing the "mrs Radlinski" accounting methods yet again, and why not, they never get punished for it do they

KB80
League One Player
League One Player

Post by KB80 » 16 Oct 2019, 10:41

W Feki > Claire
C Blair > Minikin
C Shenton
W Eden

Back ups
Claire > Gill
Olpherts > Egodu
Elllis
Turner

Griffin > Clarkson
Smith > Clarke
Hepi - Maher

Wigan also have Tony Clubb as a starting 17 man

KB80
League One Player
League One Player

Post by KB80 » 16 Oct 2019, 10:57

W Feki > Claire
C Blair > Minikin
C Shenton
W Eden

Back ups
Claire > Gill
Olpherts > Egodu
Elllis
Turner

Griffin > Clarkson
Smith > Clarke
Hepi - Maher

We finished 4th/5th with a an injury plagued squad. So 3/4 performed better than us. 2/3 of which use marque allowance which we don't and 2 of which have access to a vast array of young home grown talent.

Have other teams improved their squads more than us for next year? Yeah I beleive they probably have. But they finances to do so and are using marque allowance to do so.

That doesn't change the fact our starting 17 for next season (assuming we don't have any major preseason injuries) looks better than last year's 17 at the start of the season.

For me we really could do:
Bringing in an improved Full back (getting shut of Ellis, using Rankin as back up half/full back) and;

Bringing in a big no nonsense Prop (if Moors isn't going to be back in the frame)

The prop is do-able I'd imagine but what full backs are likely to be available?

Before anyone says Evalds, he's contracted and would be valued higher then Gale was on the transfer market and seems perfectly happy were he is - he simply isn't available.

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 21 Oct 2019, 20:03

Can you believe or accept Wells claims we’re skint on the cap front?
I suppose it’s a more solid excuse than last years’ ‘we don’t need to strengthen’

As I said initially, make some tough calls Jon. Show you have the bottle and foresight for the job in hand. Make a bloody success of us. Earn your title (and money?)
Audacter Et Sincere

Bolton-tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Bolton-tiger » 22 Oct 2019, 08:21

Sorry but i tink we still need to stengthen our squad,you look at salford amd wakey they are strengthening on a lower spend than what we are and they are getting good quality players for that to,salford are chasing kinehorse from kr and seb iki from hudds,both improvements.imagine him and pauli pauli starting front rowers for salford.even wakeys been linked with capewell from sharks for next year and just signed wood from salford to and yet we still hardly do nothing.lose 10 players and sign 6 isnt good for me especailly when we have extra from gales money and the extra from torrontos central funding to.that surley has to be 2 good players there

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 22 Oct 2019, 08:29

Bolton-tiger wrote: 22 Oct 2019, 08:21 Sorry but i tink we still need to stengthen our squad,you look at salford amd wakey they are strengthening on a lower spend than what we are and they are getting good quality players for that to,salford are chasing kinehorse from kr and seb iki from hudds,both improvements.imagine him and pauli pauli starting front rowers for salford.even wakeys been linked with capewell from sharks for next year and just signed wood from salford to and yet we still hardly do nothing.lose 10 players and sign 6 isnt good for me especailly when we have extra from gales money and the extra from torrontos central funding to.that surley has to be 2 good players there
And once again look who has left, all championship standard players on peanuts. Everybody wanted these gone, they've gone bit gives us very little cap space.

Richardson weont be on Gales money so best we can hope for would be 1 more with what's left over from Gales wage.

Our main issue is all the daft contract extensions off back of 2017 and let's be fair the big boys that year were p*ss poor and we still managed not to win the GF.

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 22 Oct 2019, 09:30

Bolton-tiger wrote: 22 Oct 2019, 08:21 Seb iki from hudds, imagine him and pauli pauli starting front rowers for salford.
A front row that would need to be subbed off after 10 minutes. Give me ours any day of the week

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 22 Oct 2019, 10:51

Bolton-tiger wrote: 22 Oct 2019, 08:21 Sorry but i tink we still need to stengthen our squad,you look at salford amd wakey they are strengthening on a lower spend than what we are and they are getting good quality players for that to,salford are chasing kinehorse from kr and seb iki from hudds,both improvements.imagine him and pauli pauli starting front rowers for salford.even wakeys been linked with capewell from sharks for next year and just signed wood from salford to and yet we still hardly do nothing.lose 10 players and sign 6 isnt good for me especailly when we have extra from gales money and the extra from torrontos central funding to.that surley has to be 2 good players there
i read there were two nrl clubs after Capewell zero chance he will end up at Wakefield ...i would have thought
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 28 Oct 2019, 10:50

Wells says it again in this mornings paper little room on the salary cap and no one else planned to come in before the start of next season...
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 28 Oct 2019, 11:06

tigerfeat wrote: 28 Oct 2019, 10:50 Wells says it again in this mornings paper little room on the salary cap and no one else planned to come in before the start of next season...
But if players retire or are sold then we'll hit the market.