Quins set to annoucne the signing of Peter Lupton

Players in ... Players out. Got a rumour? Post it in here.
WHELDON-ROAD-END
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by WHELDON-ROAD-END » 03 Sep 2008, 15:14

jonnyyorkshu wrote:Is 09 another gap year RW?
ABSOLUTELY NOT!

Whoever says this year as been a gap year is stupid? How can you have a gap year in a professional sport? Its non existent! Say we had of finished 8th or 9th then people would of seen this as a success or at least somewhat respectable, but the fact we have finished bottom and not had a squad people like to use the excuse of a ‘Gap Year’.

Its all excuses due to a very very poor season!

Fully
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Fully » 03 Sep 2008, 16:08

But despite this 'very very poor season' we've still accrued 15 points, and we are only 4 points short of our 2006 total - 2 if we win Saturday.

While I'd hardly call it a riveting success, I'd say we've punched above our weight and had a decent campaign.

We've set the bar. Now we have to improve upon that next season.
--------------------------------------------------------
ACCOUNT CLOSED WITH OWNERS PERMISSION

WHELDON-ROAD-END
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by WHELDON-ROAD-END » 03 Sep 2008, 16:11

Fully wrote:But despite this 'very very poor season' we've still accrued 15 points, and we are only 4 points short of our 2006 total - 2 if we win Saturday.

While I'd hardly call it a riveting success, I'd say we've punched above our weight and had a decent campaign.

We've set the bar. Now we have to improve upon that next season.
I agree with that, we need to finish higher and definately need to improve on 15 or 17 points. If not then its another bottom finish.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 03 Sep 2008, 18:53

[quote="WHELDON-ROAD-END"
]How can you have a gap year in a professional sport?

[/quote]

Got to agree with you there, pity the people who run the club dont do it professionaly

WHELDON-ROAD-END
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by WHELDON-ROAD-END » 03 Sep 2008, 19:13

old cas lass wrote:Got to agree with you there, pity the people who run the club dont do it professionaly
Your not wrong there!

cutsyke tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cutsyke tiger » 03 Sep 2008, 22:10

fenton wrote:
cutsyke tiger wrote:
Glassblower wrote:
fenton wrote: [
Theres something like 6 months till the new season, and you worried about not enough players. :? :lol: :lol:
Have we learned nothing?
the best players are available now, the rest either don't exist except in Mattersons mind or are poor and no one wants them ;)
Glad someone has learned as there seems to be quite alot on here that has not. so will those that are saying they are not worried for six months please tell where will we sign any player from that is any good don't they realise come the end of sept all that will be left is the dross
Come on then, as of today who would you sign?

Who's available?

I don't see anybody to be honest.

There might be players in Aus, but we can't sign them...
So there are not players available, don't be silly there will be agents touting every club now with who is available,the point you will not accept is these players will not be available in 5 or 6 months as you seem to think. the last close season and this gap year should be adequate proof that you cannot wait till the new year to make signings . we have 2 yrs to proove we are worthy of another franchise and i for one do not want cas to be replaced with the frog team which you can certainly put your last penny on them being given a franchise next time round, that is why i and many others are nervous about statements that we have 5 or 6 months to sign players.

cutsyke tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cutsyke tiger » 03 Sep 2008, 22:15

WHELDON-ROAD-END wrote:
ABSOLUTELY NOT!

Whoever says this year as been a gap year is stupid? How can you have a gap year in a professional sport? Its non existent! Say we had of finished 8th or 9th then people would of seen this as a success or at least somewhat respectable, but the fact we have finished bottom and not had a squad people like to use the excuse of a ‘Gap Year’.

Well you had better explain that one to our beloved leader

WHELDON-ROAD-END
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by WHELDON-ROAD-END » 03 Sep 2008, 22:18

cutsyke tiger wrote:
WHELDON-ROAD-END wrote:
ABSOLUTELY NOT!

No point as i think also 80% of people on here would say this year as been a gap year! :?

dettoriman
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: Dettoriman

Post by dettoriman » 03 Sep 2008, 22:38

WHELDON-ROAD-END wrote:
cutsyke tiger wrote:
WHELDON-ROAD-END wrote:
ABSOLUTELY NOT!

No point as i think also 80% of people on here would say this year as been a gap year! :?
I am quite sure somewhere there is a quote from RW saying this year is a gap year -- Enabling us to go for it big style in 2009 - I cant see that happening
Loyalty Costs Nothing !

ten
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by ten » 03 Sep 2008, 22:50

dettoriman wrote:
WHELDON-ROAD-END wrote:
cutsyke tiger wrote:
WHELDON-ROAD-END wrote:
ABSOLUTELY NOT!

I am quite sure somewhere there is a quote from RW saying this year is a gap year -- Enabling us to go for it big style in 2009 - I cant see that happening
Proves he really will say anything.

WHELDON-ROAD-END
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by WHELDON-ROAD-END » 03 Sep 2008, 23:02

RW needs to get out of town man!

one tree
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by one tree » 06 Sep 2008, 15:40

Players contracted for 2009:

Shenton
Dixon
Sherwin
Korkidas
Clayton
Westerman
Higgins
Huby
Boyle
Owen
McGoldrick
Sargent
Massey
Chase
Widders
Faumuina
Jones
Hudson

That's 18 players already signed up, one or two more from the existing squad likely to re-sign and a few players in negotiations or already signed but not revealed.

I'm expect we'll go into October with around 21/22 players already contracted for next season. That's a wholly different situation than that of our promotion years when we've gone into October needing to sign a minimum of 8 good players to give us a reasonably sized squad.

Matterson and the BoD are correct in saying that you're struggling to find that number of quality players to join you at such a late stage. But 2 or 3 is a different matter. Most SL clubs make a couple of signings sometime over the winter months so the players are available.